Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmcg_gw

Sleek toilet, fat washlet seat: what would you do?

kmcg
11 years ago

I can barely believe I'm posting this on a public forum, but... I have a Toto Aquia II, which is a lovely, sleek, skirted toilet. I've long wanted a washlet/bidet seat, so I picked up an ADM Intelliseat at Costco for our new bath. Today, I put the two together and I swear, the new seat makes the toilet look ridiculous (if this were a cartoon, little Aquia would be saying "Does this make me look fat?") It turns out the seat is about an inch wider than the toilet, plus it's lots thicker (that part, I was prepared for, but not the width). That prompted me to measure the Toto seats, and several of them are equally wide. The only one that actually matches the width of the toilet appears to be the E200.

Has anyone else been through this? Any advice? I know I would like a washlet - have used them and liked them a lot. But do you ever get used to that chunky look?

Comments (7)

• qt314b
    11 years ago

I don't have a washlet on my toilet. One of the things a plumber trying to discourage me from my toilet purchase was that a standard toilet seat does not fit and if I need to replace the seat it's triple the expense. I still bought it.

If you really love your toilet the way it is, why not see if there is a washlet to fit it? while it may cost more - it might be a lot closer to the look you are happy with

by the way I totally have a cartoon in my head now!

Rachel

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

Like most things; the first scratch on your new wood floor, the first scuff on your newly painted wall; the chunkiness of your lovely washlet...it disappears after a while.

Sort of.

I looked at a photo of the ADM but didn't see any dimensions listed. It pretty much looks like all the others out there.

I do remember when I installed ours (a BioBidet and a Toto) we thought "wow that looks big", but now it just is what it is.

• kmcg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ADM is 15.5" wide, which is the same as the Toto S300. I suppose I could be happier with the E200, which is 14.5", but I'd have to spend hundreds of dollars more and that starts to sound like I'm a little crazy! The ADM gets good reviews, and looks pretty much like the rest of the bunch in terms of shape, thickness, etc. I probably would get used to it, so it's good to hear you did, mongo.

qt3 - Were you considering buying the Neorest? Those are gorgeous, and I imagine it would be pretty expensive to replace a seat. I'm talking about a mere washlet seat - and one that cost me only $150. Still, if I can't deal with it, I should just return it before I start using it.

Sigh.

• qt314b
    11 years ago

I bought the Duravit Starck 3 wall mount toilet - It matched my needs most - the regular toilet seat is around $100 and the softclose removable seat that I have is around $200

The Neorest is a really cool looking toilet - but it cost more than I have and would ever consider spending on a toilet and I specifically do not want a washlet - I think my boys would use it as a toy (yes gross I know).

Depending on your personal circumstances the $150 is not really high for a washlet so maybe you should keep it and see if it fades into the background in a few months? The washlet for my toilet is $1200 definitely not something I'd consider 'trying out'

Rachel

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

My UltraMax came with a soft close seat. It's in the attic (the seat). I put the S300 Washlet on the Ultramax and don't recall it looking strange or "fat" :)
    Rachel, which Washlet seat was $1200???

• kmcg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

monica - I think the problem is that the Aquia is a toilet with a narrow profile, so it exacerbates the visual bulk of the seat. I just went to the store that has Toto washlets, and they look pretty similar to this AMDM seat I've got. Unfortunately, they didn't have the E200 on hand, which is really the best fit for the Aquia.

I think Rachel is right: for the price, I could probably afford to try this one for awhile and see how we adjust.

• qt314b
    11 years ago

Monica the Duravit Starck 3 collection sell a washlet called the Sensowash to fit my Duravit Starck 3 toilet it is $1500 at Faucet Direct. though I do recall seeing it for as low as $1200.000

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensowash