Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lamermaid_gw

Americast Bathtub Regrets Anyone?

lamermaid
14 years ago

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING MY CAST IRON TUB. IT WILL BE GOING TO A SECOND FLOOR BATHROOM. I AM A BATH TAKER AND DID NOT WANT TO REPLACE MY CAST IRON TUB WITH ACRYLIC. MY INSTALLER SUGGESTED THE AMERICAN STANDARD AMERICAST BECAUSE IT WILL BE MUCH EASIER THAN CARRYING A CAST IRON ONE UPSTAIRS. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS TUB AND HAS IT HELD UP. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR INPUT.

Comments (29)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I haven't had an Americast tub, but did have an Americast kitchen sink and would never have one again. It chipped badly.

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

Have one 3 years, no problem yet. Did drop a heavy metal thing in it, and there is a chip. It would have chipped a cast iron finish too, so that was just too bad for me.
    Cleans nicely. Used by 4 of us during the 1 year part of our master reno, otherwise by 2 teen boys.

It was the first tub I had that was not cast iron. I thought I would miss it- definitely not. I was so accustomed to putting in extra hot water into the tub to heat the tub itself, that I almost fainted in the hot hot tub the first time I used it- did not cool down to fast.

• sjblick
    14 years ago

I looked at them - but when I researched on the net - I found quite a few bad reviews - some about chipping and some about creaking and flexing Why not stick with cast iron? I did - and yes they will be carrying it up the stairs. That's what I pay them for. I wouldn't pick my bathtub to accomodate the installer. Go to google and type in "americast bathtub problems"

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

My parents have had trouble with every Americast tub and sink they've ever owned. My mother's bathroom sinks started "crazing" (not sure if that's the right word) within a year. She's had chips in her kitchen sink. She's not hard on them. Lots of unhappy Americast owners :(
    Monica

• sadie709
    14 years ago

I had an americast tub in my last home which i put in new in a bath remodel. It looked great at first. It was comfortable and looks like cast iron. I didn't have any trouble with chipping or crazing but... I couldnt keep the darn thing clean. I had very hard water and nothing would take the hard water deposits and soap scum off unless I scraped it off with a straight edge razor. The bottom of the tub was always gray.
    Pepperidge farm what did you clean it with? Maybe my problem was the hard water and any tub would have had the same problem

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I have 1979 vintage americast tubs in my house. They are in pretty good shape, considering that this is a beach house and there's always sand on everyone's feet when they get into the shower. Of course, much may have changed in their formula since then, but one of our tubs is practically brand new looking, despite the fact that one of the POs here had four little boys.

terriks, yes I would never have a kitchen sink made of americast, but then look at how many people are happy with acrylic tubs and think of how that does in kitchens. The stresses are just different.

If you can use cast iron, no question that it's much superior, but if it's going to cost a fortune to shore everything up to support it, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Americast. I need to replace the upstairs tub when we do the bath (it's only lightly scratched, but I don't think it has another twenty years in it and I'd rather get it over with all at once), and I'm considering the americast cambridge.

• lamermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

youngdeb... WHAT does ALL CAPS have to do with anything??? Pleeeze explain.
    any input on the tub?

• lamermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your input. I have done more research the last few days. American Standard Corporate Office happens to be a mile from my house- I stopped by and spoke to a rep there, she told me that the Americast tubs should NOT be set in mortar (cement) or structolite, they are held up by 2x4's put up against the studs. if they are installed any other way the warranty will be void. she said if they are installed properly they are very sturdy.

Unfortunately, i recently had my walls sheetrocked and faux painted- that is why i was hesitant to go with cast iron, being i heard it takes three men to carry upstairs, i have two tight corners and i'm envisioning disasters with my beautiful walls.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I had an Americast kitchen sink that was utter crap. The finish broke down, it went to the curb after 2 years. But I went ahead and replaced a tub with one such, and after 14 mos. of constant use, it is in better shape than the sink was. It cleans easily, etc. Less tinny than the porcelain over steel abomination that it replaced.
    Casey

• sjblick
    14 years ago

lamermaid, all caps on the internet means that you are yelling. I understand being concerned about nice new walls. Good luck!

• lamermaid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sjblick, tank u -- did not know that

sombreuil, glad that you are happy with the tub, hopefully it will last many years.

i just spoke with another plumber that says he installs them all the time without a mortar bed, he assured me it will be solid as a rock. I will probably order it today. Hope this is not a mistake.

• sdancer14
    12 years ago

I've had an Americast tub (standard, apron front) for 5 years and am very happy. No chips except the one caused by a dropped wrench (ugh!). I clean it with Bon Ami or baking soda and it cleans up very well.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

sombreuil_mongrel, hoping you're still around! It's been almost 8 years since you installed your AS Americast tub. Are you still happy with it? Has it chipped? What's the finish like? Dull, scratched or still shiny? Does it have the non-slip strips or was that before they started putting them in all tubs? What do you clean it with?
    Thanks,
    Monica

• Bayleh Harris
    8 years ago

We moved and remodeled the bathroom in 2006, and installed an Americast tub replacing the previous cast iron tub. The tub still looks quite good 9 years later, and I don't clean as often as I should. I stick to Spic and Span, and Bon Ami -- 2 of the products recommended by the manufacturer. We are 2 women both about 150 lbs, and the tub DOES flex a little and make some noise. Not sure what it would be like if we were more like 200-250 lbs. All in all it's been a good tub.

• Emily McGee
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but our American Standard Cambridge Americast tub just arrived and it has a really bumpy/textured feeling enameled finish. Is this normal on these? Seems a bit weird...

• Nebulon Nebulonus
    4 years ago

We have an Americast sink, and it chipped so badly that a guest thought it was original to the house from the 40s. Worst sink we've ever had, and sadly, still have. We're trying to figure out if we can just repaint it. We joke that was made by the subsidiary American Substantard.

• HU-742156793
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone! Just finished my remodel and after 2 cracked and scratched acrylic tubs during this process, my plumber practically begged me to get the Americlast. I was bummed because it's very basic in looks; it's shallow in comparison to the crappy acrylics I fell in love with during this process, it has rounded edges that I thought looked dated, and I was generally underwhelmed...well, I'm SO GLAD I went with my plumber's "suggestion". It just feels like quailty to me and the look is timeless in my little colonial home (I don't know what I was thinking now with that modern soaker!). It's really lovely and I hope hope hope I made the right decision. Will update in a year, if I'm stil around. Good luck with all your remodels! xoxo

• Steve Tyler
    3 years ago

Americast bone color tub has been in the second floor bathroom since 1985. Will refinish the tub to a Toto white to match wallmount toilet during remodel.

• Kathy
    3 years ago

Today my plumber arrived to install my Cambridge Americast tub. Let me say that this bathroom remodel is taking way longer than I anticipated so I was thrilled to truly get rolling... so the plumbers unpack the tub out side then they call me out to look at it. The finish is crap! It has the texture of really bad skin, kind of lumpy and not pretty. I liked all the reviews I read about its construction, holding heat... This is not what I expected today and now the project is stalled. Again. I am kind of furious. Do I research another brand? Get another Americast? Head exploding in Wisconsin.

• Cem Kurtulus
    3 years ago

Any luck, Kathy? I am trying to decide between Americast and Porcelain-enameled steel. My concern is finding the material that will not produce off-gases over time so have been trying to understand if Americast is as good as porcelain-enameled steel which is supposed to be one of the safer ones? Any info regarding this would be appreciated!

• Kathy
    3 years ago

Cem, I decided to spend a little more and go with a Kohler cast iron tub that has good reviews and it is coming tomorrow. Fingers crossed the finish is a-ok and I can get the plumbers back to install it. I don’t know anything about off gasses in bath tubs, I’m sorry to say. I’m still disapointed about the Americast because it reads like a really good product. I got a dud.

• off2skl91
    2 years ago

Kathy, which kohler tub are you going with? I haven't found stellar reviews on any of them either (issues with the finish)

• Kathy
    2 years ago

off2ski91 I got the Kohler Mendota in white. Plumbers put it in today. Finish is fine. 😊. The tile guy comes tomorrow. Finally the bathroom is coming together.

• Genetra Aaro
    2 years ago

@kathy how's the tub holding up, any complaints?

• Kathy
    2 years ago

It was used for the first time this week by 5 guests. No complaints. I was out of town for two months while project was finished. Love my new bathroom . photo befor shower curtain, etc. bright and light just like I wanted it. My Houzz vanity, too too😊.

• amyhlr
    2 years ago

Shortly after we moved into our home we renovated the hall bathroom. Our contractor convinced us to purchase an Americast tub because it was so much lighter to carry up the stairs. Stupidly, we listened to him. That was back in 1995. As soon as it was installed it developed crazing on the bottom. I contacted American Standard, they sent a technician to repair and reglaze the crazing and rust stains that we noticed. Eventually the new glaze wore off and we have been living with the crazing ever since. I'm still .unhappy, but not willing to renovate the entire bathroom again, there's nothing wrong with the tile. I change my slip free tub mat every couple of years. I would never buy another Americast product.

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 months ago

I'm resurrecting this thread because in the process of deciding what to replace my cast iron tub with now. Any new comments / reviews to share? Thank you.

• Missy Bee
    4 months ago

Just wanted to say I have an INSULATED acrylic soaking tub by Jetta (Flare) and it is fantastic. I love baths and have one every night. I read there. This one stays warm, maybe even as warm as when first filled. Easy to clean too. It is heavy but not nearly as much as cast iron which should be a consideration if it needs to be carried upstairs or a long distance.