Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Americast Bathtub Regrets Anyone?

Posted by lamermaid (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 6, 09 at 17:57

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REPLACING MY CAST IRON TUB. IT WILL BE GOING TO A SECOND FLOOR BATHROOM. I AM A BATH TAKER AND DID NOT WANT TO REPLACE MY CAST IRON TUB WITH ACRYLIC. MY INSTALLER SUGGESTED THE AMERICAN STANDARD AMERICAST BECAUSE IT WILL BE MUCH EASIER THAN CARRYING A CAST IRON ONE UPSTAIRS. DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS TUB AND HAS IT HELD UP. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR INPUT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Americast Bathtub Regrets Anyone?

HERE'S SOME INPUT. DON'T USE ALL CAPS!

o

I haven't had an Americast tub, but did have an Americast kitchen sink and would never have one again. It chipped badly.

o

Have one 3 years, no problem yet. Did drop a heavy metal thing in it, and there is a chip. It would have chipped a cast iron finish too, so that was just too bad for me.
Cleans nicely. Used by 4 of us during the 1 year part of our master reno, otherwise by 2 teen boys.

It was the first tub I had that was not cast iron. I thought I would miss it- definitely not. I was so accustomed to putting in extra hot water into the tub to heat the tub itself, that I almost fainted in the hot hot tub the first time I used it- did not cool down to fast.

o

I looked at them - but when I researched on the net - I found quite a few bad reviews - some about chipping and some about creaking and flexing Why not stick with cast iron? I did - and yes they will be carrying it up the stairs. That's what I pay them for. I wouldn't pick my bathtub to accomodate the installer. Go to google and type in "americast bathtub problems"

o

My parents have had trouble with every Americast tub and sink they've ever owned. My mother's bathroom sinks started "crazing" (not sure if that's the right word) within a year. She's had chips in her kitchen sink. She's not hard on them. Lots of unhappy Americast owners :(
Monica

o

I had an americast tub in my last home which i put in new in a bath remodel. It looked great at first. It was comfortable and looks like cast iron. I didn't have any trouble with chipping or crazing but... I couldnt keep the darn thing clean. I had very hard water and nothing would take the hard water deposits and soap scum off unless I scraped it off with a straight edge razor. The bottom of the tub was always gray.
Pepperidge farm what did you clean it with? Maybe my problem was the hard water and any tub would have had the same problem

o

I have 1979 vintage americast tubs in my house. They are in pretty good shape, considering that this is a beach house and there's always sand on everyone's feet when they get into the shower. Of course, much may have changed in their formula since then, but one of our tubs is practically brand new looking, despite the fact that one of the POs here had four little boys.

terriks, yes I would never have a kitchen sink made of americast, but then look at how many people are happy with acrylic tubs and think of how that does in kitchens. The stresses are just different.

If you can use cast iron, no question that it's much superior, but if it's going to cost a fortune to shore everything up to support it, I wouldn't hesitate to go with Americast. I need to replace the upstairs tub when we do the bath (it's only lightly scratched, but I don't think it has another twenty years in it and I'd rather get it over with all at once), and I'm considering the americast cambridge.

o

youngdeb... WHAT does ALL CAPS have to do with anything??? Pleeeze explain.
any input on the tub?

o
Re: Americast Bathtub Regrets Anyone?

Thank you all for your input. I have done more research the last few days. American Standard Corporate Office happens to be a mile from my house- I stopped by and spoke to a rep there, she told me that the Americast tubs should NOT be set in mortar (cement) or structolite, they are held up by 2x4's put up against the studs. if they are installed any other way the warranty will be void. she said if they are installed properly they are very sturdy.

Unfortunately, i recently had my walls sheetrocked and faux painted- that is why i was hesitant to go with cast iron, being i heard it takes three men to carry upstairs, i have two tight corners and i'm envisioning disasters with my beautiful walls.

o

I had an Americast kitchen sink that was utter crap. The finish broke down, it went to the curb after 2 years. But I went ahead and replaced a tub with one such, and after 14 mos. of constant use, it is in better shape than the sink was. It cleans easily, etc. Less tinny than the porcelain over steel abomination that it replaced.
Casey

o

lamermaid, all caps on the internet means that you are yelling. I understand being concerned about nice new walls. Good luck!

o

sjblick, tank u -- did not know that

sombreuil, glad that you are happy with the tub, hopefully it will last many years.

i just spoke with another plumber that says he installs them all the time without a mortar bed, he assured me it will be solid as a rock. I will probably order it today. Hope this is not a mistake.

o

For the record - cast iron is the best if done correctly and for those of us that are not internet savvy - sometimes caps are just for ease of reading - lets not freak out now! :)

o

I've had an Americast tub (standard, apron front) for 5 years and am very happy. No chips except the one caused by a dropped wrench (ugh!). I clean it with Bon Ami or baking soda and it cleans up very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here