Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipdog_gw

Finished! Transitional white marble bathroom

Pipdog
11 years ago

We finally finished the upgrade of our master bath! The bath had been remodeled within the last 7-10 years by the previous owners, but it was pretty sloppy DIY job with few too many grout lines for our taste and we didn't like the tile counters. We decided to expand into a closet and make room for a separate shower.

Truth be told, I'm a little freaked out by the maintenance of the white marble (two toddlers use this bath), but so far it seems to be holding up. We did have some funky grout issues with the shower floor (efflorescence and orange spots appearing), but they seemed to have cleared up on their own. Hopefully it won't be a maintenance nightmare. If anyone has any good cleaning tips for white marble, I'd love to hear them.

I still need some artwork for the wall above the bath and some curtains, but the room is ready for prime time, and we're so happy it's over!

Details:

Calacatta Nuevo marble from AKDO - subway in shower, hex on floors and mini-bricks in niches and backsplash

Grout - White Frost by C-Cure. We originally tried Silver Shadow by Laticrete but it was too dark so we went lighter.

Counters - Caesarstone

Duravit tub

Faucets/tub fixture: Toto

Shower fixture - Raindance by Hansgrohe

BM Light Pewter

Lights - Restoration Hardware

Cabinetry - existing, sprayed with BM White Dove

Pulls from Lowes

Here's the before:

And the after:

Comments (90)

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

I am having trouble breathing here. I think I held my breath too long scrolling through your bathroom. HOLY WOW! It is Perfecto! Thank you so much for sharing. I just showed DH & you just upped the ante for our new build. Your taste is impeccable!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the nice words.

Island, the tub surround is also Caesarstone. For the mirrors, we just had our carpenter build trim around the existing cabinets and had custom-sized mirrors put in when he was finished. It was easier than finding mirrors that matched the space. The sinks (17x17) were found at a bath specialty store in N. Hollywood called MTD.

Here's a couple pics of the kitchen - and link to the thread with the details.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen details

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

pip you have the most elegant taste. Your kitchen is one of my very favorites and now your bathroom too! I love your dog too : ) He would also match your bathroom just as much as your kitchen! Beautiful!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thanks Pip. Oh my I do remember seeing your beautiful kitchen but I don't think it was finished yet. I recall the banquette and you were in search of a table?? Where did you find it? Love it all. I too want a banquette in mine. Hopefully when I get that far you'll have some tips on how to make sure it's comfy. Are the cushions fabric?

I know I'm off topic here, but just had to gush and pick your brain. I see a glimpse of your living space and fireplace treatment. Looks like you carried the same style throughout?? I want to move in!
    Beautiful. Thanks for the additional info.

• Astacia
    11 years ago

stunning!!! I love how light and bright and airy it is.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Pipdog, did you use Dennis Adams as the designer for your kitchen and bath? Asking because they're both in his portfolio on houzz, and I know other people here have had problems with their own work getting used by others there, like beekeeper's wife and her kitchen.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

omg. I just sent pipdog an email. Those photos and her kitchen photos are all over his houzz site too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

He does list LA as a location, so maybe it's legit, but your experience and that of others here has made me wary when nobody mentions a designer in their threads. Thanks, beekeeperswife.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

writersblock and bee, thanks for the heads up. I uploaded the photos to Houzz. He's my family member and soon-to-be partner in design :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Great, that's wonderful news, pipdog. You should be doing this!

• morethanamom
    11 years ago

Pipdog, I love this bathroom. Would you mind telling me the height of the bathroom backsplash? It looks like it might be 12". It doesn't look choppy like some do. Thank you!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, morethanamom. The backsplash is 9 inches high, including the pencil tile.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous pipdog. Haven't seen your pix on houzz yet, but great going. Kitchen too.

I'm stuck in decision land on the finishing touches of my kitchen (backsplash) and master bath.

enjoy!

• cscow
    11 years ago

Hi pipdog!
    Your bathroom and kitchen are beautiful! Now that you have had bathroom finished for a couple of months, how had the marble tile held up? Is it a lot of maintenance? I would love marble tile for my bathroom update!

• cscow
    11 years ago

Hi pipdog!
    Your bathroom and kitchen are beautiful! Now that you have had bathroom finished for a couple of months, how had the marble tile held up? Is it a lot of maintenance? I would love marble tile for my bathroom update!

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks cscow and phylhl. cscow, so far I'm okay with how the marble is holding up. I'm really glad we chose not to put marble on the counter. The floor has scratched a bit from sand, but we have a large bath mat to prevent slipping and it covers the imperfections. My biggest gripe is that the marble subway tile and hex tiles in the shower are hard to clean. We squeegee after every shower, but I've yet to find a really good marble cleaner that works on soap scum!

• cscow
    11 years ago

Thanks for the marble update pipdog! I am looking for your bathroom on Houzz to add to my idea book !

• deedles
    11 years ago

Just wandered over from kitchens and wanted to add in how beautiful I think your bathroom is! Love the different sizes/shapes of marble all put together. Everything is lovely!

• erikarochelle
    11 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous. How has the glass been to clean? I was planning a shower with glass walls like this, but my sister says cleaning the glass is a nightmare. What are your thoughts? I could still go with a lighted walk-in with a tiled wall instead.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

erikarochelle, we squeegee the shower/glass after every use and that makes cleaning it a lot easier. We use a glass cleaner on the glass every few weeks and it looks good as new.

• embeth
    11 years ago

Ethereal! The all-white is beautiful.

• Emily
    11 years ago

I love your bathroom! How big are the hex tiles on the floor? I couldn't find them on AKDO's website. Did you have them cut down from 12x12's? Thanks a bunch!

• sofla
    11 years ago

I never tire of looking at your bathroom!

• Emily
    11 years ago

Does anyone know about this floor? I would love to do this for my upcoming master bath renovation. Thanks.

• rjr220
    11 years ago

pip;

gorgeous! Next summer we're planning on redoing our 3 BR's and I have considered going all white with all 3 of them--your BR is pushing me that way!

Love the sinks -- I've looked thru the posts and I can't find what they are? Can you share?

Thanks, Rita

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Rita. The sinks are 17x17 and were found at a bath specialty store in N. Hollywood called MTD Bath Supply. I had a hard time finding sinks that size.

thanks epressler, the hex marble is 8x9 (at the largest point). We went to the tile warehouse to pick out the exact tiles and I recall the tile distributor saying something about these being discontinued. It wasn't on the AKDO sample board we took home or in the showroom. We had originally planned to do the smaller hex tiles on the floor and we only discovered the larger hex tiles in the warehouse after we decided the smaller hex tiles were too busy for the space.

thanks sofla!

• mrspete
    11 years ago

It's beautiful . . . And this is from someone who hates granite!

• wishiwasinoz
    11 years ago

Pipdog, your bathroom is so beautiful! I'm green with envy (in a good way)! I hope you are enjoying it!

How is the Raindance system working out?

• randekasp
    10 years ago

So bizarre - checked out c-cure white frost - Finally found color - beautiful! Put in next to my Lowe's white subway tile. Brought out PINK hue in tile, not seen before or since. Ah well,,,,,bright white it is. :/

• dressupfiles
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous! We're in the final stages of a whole home reno and this is so inspiring.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I just found this. Such a beautiful transformation!! I just finished my own bath remodel and love how you framed around your mirror(s). It such a simple, yet elegant, solution. Did you glue the mirrors to the wall and place the frame around them, or is the frame routed to accommodate the mirror on the backside? The mirror was one of the toughest things for me. I ended up going with a framed mirror, but I prefer large expanses of mirror as you have.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I always love it when someone replies to this bathroom and I get to see it all over again. It never gets old :)

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I love that bathroom. I wish pipdog would post on how the marble is holding up. I would love to know. It was what I first wanted when I thought of redoing my bathroom but became worried listening to the horror stories. I would not be the most diligent person when it comes to squeegeeing.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    9 years ago

linelle, we built the frames and then I had my glass person come and measure the space and he had mirrors cut for that space -- we used two separate mirrors.

thanks, monicakm!

jerzeegirl, we sold the house about 6 months ago, so we only had that bathroom a little over a year. I have to say while I liked the marble when it went in, I had no idea what I was getting myself in to in terms of maintenance. The worst offender was SAND -- my kids would come traipsing in from the park and unload their pants full of sand on the floor, scratching the hex tiles up. We had to be meticulous about vacuuming before mopping the floors to make sure there was no sand or other particles on the floor that would scratch the floor. The last few months we lived there while our house was on the market, we stopped using the bath so that we wouldn't have to clean the tile. We tried everything from vodka to expensive marble cleaner and nothing seemed to get the grime off of it. We squeegeed the entire shower after we used it, but the marble tiles still looked dull after use.

So would I do marble again? I'd consider using it as a back splash or as an accent, but never on the floor of a main bathroom or as shower tile, or on a counter top. We are going with more durable materials (porcelain and penny tile) in our baths for our next remodel.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I've often wondered how all this marble is holding up in kitchens and bathrooms. It's a popular stone these days but I know I wouldn't be a candidate for it. Well at least you get to start over and know what not to get. Sure was pretty tho!

• enzaenza
    9 years ago

Hi pip!

I realize you are onto a new project, but I only just came across this bathroom now (slowly going through 67 pages of the forum:0)

What was the size of the bathroom space? Apologies if I missed the info.

Thanks !

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

Wow! The kitchen and bathroom are both stunning! They look like something out of a magazine! Enjoy :)

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I just came across this older thread, and the bathroom is lovely. It was also interesting to read Pipdog's later follow-up about the high-maintenance floors.

Pipdog - if you are still checking in, can you please comment about the Caesarstone counters - like how they stood up to spills of toothpaste or soap residue, and general wear and tear? What color Caesarstone did you use for your counters? You mentioned your next remodel in your new home - what type of counters are you using there? TIA.

• pipdog
    8 years ago

Hi ak0402, sorry for the delay in responding. We sold the house over a year ago, but I believe the counters were Pure White Caesarstone. They held up well. We are using Caesarstone again in our current remodel - we found it to be very durable. Sorry, enzaenza, we've left the house so I don't have the dimensions of the bath anymore. It was on the smaller side for a master bath though -- it was a 1950s house. Thanks, MrsShayne :)

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Oooooh, waaaaay too much white for me.

• beaniebakes
    8 years ago

Pipdig, did you ever start the next remodel using penny tile? I'd love to see it. Your former bathroom was so beautiful, my heart skipped a beat. Really glad you posted the follow up, though, as I was wondering about the use of marble.

• pipdog
    8 years ago

thanks beaniebakes! The remodel is still in the design/concepting phase. Probably not starting construction until this summer.

• champagne4lulu
    8 years ago

This looks Devine!!! Inspiring me to ignore the maintenance concerns and do it. It's just beautiful! Well done!

• L. C.
    6 years ago

Love this! We are in process of renovating a bath and using Carrara marble in shower like yours. Quick question: What did you do where the marble meets the walls? My contractor is pushing a Schluter line or pencil edge, but I like simplicity of your edging.

• Pipdog
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

thanks LC! I'm pretty sure we used a pencil tile (if you look at the photo of the bathtub you will see it running along the top edge) but I don't think we could use it around the edges of the shower as we were constrained by the window. So we just had our tile installer finish the edges nicely and caulk around them.

beaniebakes, the penny tile bathroom is in progress (finally!) I should have a finished thread soon for that bath.

• e2009jc
    6 years ago

I know the original post is pretty old but for some reason the photos don't come through... Instead of the photos, it says to to update my account on PhotoBucket to enable 3rd party hosting... I saw one photo that was shared on Pinterest and would LOVE to see the rest! Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks! :)

• MizLizzie
    6 years ago

I think the issue is with pipdog's hosting. She probably moved her photos. You might message her? Haven't seen her around in a while.

• tknx
    6 years ago

Yeah it is photobucket. Houzz should disallow third party hosting of pics since it creates a ton of issues.

• Pamela Jackson
    3 years ago

I know I'm a few years late to the party, but Wow is this one beautiful bathroom makeover! It is timeless and will never look outdated, ever. Good Job!