Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished! Transitional white marble bathroom

Posted by pipdog (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 17:47

We finally finished the upgrade of our master bath! The bath had been remodeled within the last 7-10 years by the previous owners, but it was pretty sloppy DIY job with few too many grout lines for our taste and we didn't like the tile counters. We decided to expand into a closet and make room for a separate shower.

Truth be told, I'm a little freaked out by the maintenance of the white marble (two toddlers use this bath), but so far it seems to be holding up. We did have some funky grout issues with the shower floor (efflorescence and orange spots appearing), but they seemed to have cleared up on their own. Hopefully it won't be a maintenance nightmare. If anyone has any good cleaning tips for white marble, I'd love to hear them.

I still need some artwork for the wall above the bath and some curtains, but the room is ready for prime time, and we're so happy it's over!

Details:
Calacatta Nuevo marble from AKDO - subway in shower, hex on floors and mini-bricks in niches and backsplash
Grout - White Frost by C-Cure. We originally tried Silver Shadow by Laticrete but it was too dark so we went lighter.
Counters - Caesarstone
Duravit tub
Faucets/tub fixture: Toto
Shower fixture - Raindance by Hansgrohe
BM Light Pewter
Lights - Restoration Hardware
Cabinetry - existing, sprayed with BM White Dove
Pulls from Lowes

Here's the before:
Photobucket
Photobucket

And the after:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished! Transitional white marble bathroom

Omg! It's beautiful! I especially love the large calcutta hex tile floors! Great job!

o

Beautiful!!, So calm and serene, yet it looks usable, if that makes sense. :-)

Love how the flowers match the ducky!!!

o

Pipdog, it looks gorgeous. So light and elegant. The different size and shape marble tiles are a great touch. Congrats.

o

Love it! Beautiful workmanship it seems too.

o

What can I say except "perfection"?

May I just reiterate to others - look at the perfect example of why you should always use white grout with white marble.
I will refer people back to your bath whenever gray grout rears it head :)

WOWWWWWW...

o

Incredibly beautiful! I'm so glad the niches turned out like you wanted. The floor is just the perfect unique touch (along with the double decker duck) to set it apart. Amazing job!

o

Excellent! Looks stunning!

o

It's breath-taking! I love how white and bright it is (which is good to see, because I've been worrying about too much white in my future bathroom). I love the shower fixture (and now really, really regret not buying it!!). The tile looks great, and the counters too. (I can see why you voted for Snowy quartz on my counter thread. Thank you!) And I really like the way you framed out your mirrors. Do you have 3 sconces at the vanity?

Final question: Would you please tell us the size of your shower?

o

Between your gorgeous kitchen and this master bath, I am moving in!!!! Love....sigh....

o

It's fantastic!!!!

o

thanks, everybody! I also forgot to give thanks to the collective wisdom on this site. I learned a lot by looking at inspiration photos, reading people's experience with marble, and finding information on fixtures and finishes. This is such a great forum!

kcmg, thanks for the nice words. I'm definitely a proponent of quartz counters. I like how they bring a modern vibe to the marble and also like how they let the marble be the star. Also, they are so much easier to maintain than marble counters. Our shower is 40x34. We were hemmed in by the window on the back wall. We do have 3 scones - I just noticed the photo only shows 2, but there is one to the right of the mirror on the right. The Hansgrohe shower head was a splurge and I'm so glad we did it - I just took my first shower this week and it was worth it. :)

pharaoh, thanks for the nice words. Actually, the grout is a very, very light cool gray -- it's "White Frost" from C-Cure. Even though I love the look of white grout with marble, with two kids and a big dog, I didn't want the hassle of cleaning white grout. This one has just the slightest hint of color, and I would recommend it for those using white marble. We tried about 5 different grout colors, including Silver Shadow which we used in another marble bathroom, and they were all either too dark or too beige. I nearly drove my tile installer crazy with my grout picky-ness. ;)

tartanhabit, we were very happy with our installers/contractor. It took over a week for our tile guy to install the tile, and I felt like he was taking forever, but he was meticulous and did a fantastic job. If any Angelenos need a recommendation for a good tile guy, I'm happy to refer him.

o

Just beautiful!

o

Did you get all the beautiful subway and mini brick tile locally to you ? It has such nice variation of grey and gold.

o

Thanks for sharing your project it is very very nice. A wonderful light beauty.

o

Gorgeous! I love what you've done. I love mostly white bathrooms and the hint of silver and gray are really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

o

pipdog - Thanks for the shower dimensions. I would have guessed larger, which must mean the openness of the glass and your color choices did the trick!

o

5yearslater, we bought the tile from AKDO through a local tile shop in LA. Here's a link to their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: AKDO marble

o

Wow this is stunning. I'm going to use this as inspiration for when I finally get around to re-doing my main bathroom! Your layout is nearly identical to what I envision for mine; I want to switch the layout around. The only difference is I have another window which would be over where your sinks are so I'll need to do something about the mirrors other than putting them directly over.

Enjoy the new room! You really did a great job of pulling all the finishes together.

o

I just sent this to my DH to look at. Your new layout is the same as our current MB and I want to re-do it. I love your choices. The glass and the marble is gorgeous!

o

This has got to be one of the world's prettiest bathrooms! You're a genius, Pip!

o

What a beautiful bathroom! I love the mix of marble tiles. I never would have thought to use a quartz counter with marble tiles, but they look great together. What color of Caesarstone did you use? Is your shower grate from California Faucets?

Your before vanity looks like the one in our hall bathroom: brownish tiles, top mount sinks and white cabinets. I can't wait until our kids are old enough for us to re-do that bath.

o

Absolutely, stunningly breathtaking!!! I want to come for a visit! It's hard to believe that's even the same room. Enjoy that gorgeous space!!

o

Wow! It really is stunning. I am about 2 weeks behind on making decisions for our new master bath. I have been trying to be practical and stay away from marble, but I think you have just ruined anything else for me. Enjoy it along with that gorgeous kitchen of yours.

o

thanks, stinky, mydreamhome, deb52899 and sivyaleah!!

kaysd, the grate is from California Faucets. It was a little more than I wanted to spend on a drain, but I do like how it looks. The counters and tub surround are Pure White. We also used it in the niches.

kfhl, if you are worried about the maintenance of marble subway in the shower, another idea would be to put white subway in and do marble in the niches and on the shower floor. My husband's biggest complaint is having to squeegee the marble shower after we use it. I think he regrets not going with plain white subway tile in the shower, mostly for maintenance. But hopefully he'll get used to it after a while.

o

Just beautiful!!! A job well done! What a difference from the before pics.

o

Pip, that came out great. I'm also in LA and will "hire" you as my consulatant when I start to tackle the 5 baths that need to be remodelled. We just tackled a bunch of other projects so we'll start on the baths next years ... pencil me in the calendar!!

o

Just gorgeous. The maintenance will be worth it to keep all that beauty!

o

I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said, but...WOW OH WOW OH WOW!!!!! It's gorgeous! And SUPER job on the photography! Gotta love those duckies too :) Mind me asking where you got them?
Monica

o

I'm not big on marble but for your bathroom I made an exception. Really stunning!

o

What a stunning transformation! I love all of your finishes and how bright and crisp the room is. Everything is so beautifully pulled together that it looks effortless... but those of us with our own "after" rooms know how much thought went into your choices.

Enjoy your beautiful space... and the lucky toddlers who will be using it!

o

Just *gorgeous*. I love all the different shapes working together. There's a joyousness in the room that jumps out from the photos : ). The shower does look much bigger.

One practical note: if toddlers are going to be using this with wet feet, or even *anyone* with wet feet, I hope you'll compromise the gorgeousness a bit and put down ample floor coverage with bath mats. I broke my toe (with a 3 y.o. in my arms--talk about baby preservation instinct-- in the split second of the fall I made sure she was safe and just injured myself!) and on another occasion, slipped and fell and hurt my wrist on glossy white (ceramic) tile in the bathroom we had before we moved out west. They were 4x4 (probably wall tile, knowing the quality of the build in general...), so there was plenty of grout, but they were glossy and *dangerous*, as I learned.

PSA over -- we now return you to the delights of marble snow-blindness : )

o

chispa, best of luck on your projects! And feel free to shoot me an email if you are interested in some help.

flyleft, thanks for the words of caution about slippery floors. That sounds scary and painful (but way to go mama with your preservation instincts!!) I'm glad your 3 year old wasn't hurt. Our biggest concern with installing a polished floor was exactly this -- that one of our little ones would slip on it. I put down three bath mats this weekend so hopefully we won't have any slipping going on (fingers crossed).

monicakm, thanks! The stacked duckies were actually a baby shower gift a few years ago from my cousin. I will have to ask her where she found them. I looked at them and didn't see a brand on them.

and thanks for the nice words, treasuretheday, sas95, whiteriversooner and door1 (and anyone i might have missed)!

o

The bathroom is lovely. Will you please tell me the dimensions of the room?

o

This is just fantastic in every way! Congratulations!

o

ae2ga, the dimensions of the room are 110 inches by 90 inches.

o

looks so much bigger and brighter after the reno! Great job :)

o

I adore your bathroom!! great work! I can't wait to redo our master bathroom. it's awful!

o

WOW the floor is stunning. I haven't seen anything like that.

o

I can't believe that this is the same sapce as the original. Beautiful everything ~ ! :) I think your shower drain looks fabulous ~ and I mention that because I'm having my contractor take a look at the one just done in my new shower. I'm in agreement with all the above comments......absolutely breath-taking ~ Enjoy!

o

WOW, just beautiful. Hard to believe that is the same space! I'm clipping this to my favs for inspiration for my dream masterbath.

A few more questions if you don't mind. You mentioned the countertop is caesarstone is the tub deck and surround also Caesarstone?
Can you please tell me what sinks you used.? Love the shape.
Are your mirrors framed or recessed in the wall? Can't tell from the pics.
Also someone mentioned your kitchen...If it's anything like this I must see it. Can you provide a link to that?

Thank you!

Thanks.

o

I am having trouble breathing here. I think I held my breath too long scrolling through your bathroom. HOLY WOW! It is Perfecto! Thank you so much for sharing. I just showed DH & you just upped the ante for our new build. Your taste is impeccable!

o

thanks for the nice words.

Island, the tub surround is also Caesarstone. For the mirrors, we just had our carpenter build trim around the existing cabinets and had custom-sized mirrors put in when he was finished. It was easier than finding mirrors that matched the space. The sinks (17x17) were found at a bath specialty store in N. Hollywood called MTD.

Here's a couple pics of the kitchen - and link to the thread with the details.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen details

o

pip you have the most elegant taste. Your kitchen is one of my very favorites and now your bathroom too! I love your dog too : ) He would also match your bathroom just as much as your kitchen! Beautiful!

o

Thanks Pip. Oh my I do remember seeing your beautiful kitchen but I don't think it was finished yet. I recall the banquette and you were in search of a table?? Where did you find it? Love it all. I too want a banquette in mine. Hopefully when I get that far you'll have some tips on how to make sure it's comfy. Are the cushions fabric?

I know I'm off topic here, but just had to gush and pick your brain. I see a glimpse of your living space and fireplace treatment. Looks like you carried the same style throughout?? I want to move in!
Beautiful. Thanks for the additional info.

o

stunning!!! I love how light and bright and airy it is.

o

Pipdog, did you use Dennis Adams as the designer for your kitchen and bath? Asking because they're both in his portfolio on houzz, and I know other people here have had problems with their own work getting used by others there, like beekeeper's wife and her kitchen.

o

omg. I just sent pipdog an email. Those photos and her kitchen photos are all over his houzz site too.

o

He does list LA as a location, so maybe it's legit, but your experience and that of others here has made me wary when nobody mentions a designer in their threads. Thanks, beekeeperswife.

o

writersblock and bee, thanks for the heads up. I uploaded the photos to Houzz. He's my family member and soon-to-be partner in design :)

o

Great, that's wonderful news, pipdog. You should be doing this!

o

Pipdog, I love this bathroom. Would you mind telling me the height of the bathroom backsplash? It looks like it might be 12". It doesn't look choppy like some do. Thank you!

o

thanks, morethanamom. The backsplash is 9 inches high, including the pencil tile.

o

Absolutely gorgeous pipdog. Haven't seen your pix on houzz yet, but great going. Kitchen too.

I'm stuck in decision land on the finishing touches of my kitchen (backsplash) and master bath.

enjoy!

o

Hi pipdog!
Your bathroom and kitchen are beautiful! Now that you have had bathroom finished for a couple of months, how had the marble tile held up? Is it a lot of maintenance? I would love marble tile for my bathroom update!

o

Hi pipdog!
Your bathroom and kitchen are beautiful! Now that you have had bathroom finished for a couple of months, how had the marble tile held up? Is it a lot of maintenance? I would love marble tile for my bathroom update!

o

thanks cscow and phylhl. cscow, so far I'm okay with how the marble is holding up. I'm really glad we chose not to put marble on the counter. The floor has scratched a bit from sand, but we have a large bath mat to prevent slipping and it covers the imperfections. My biggest gripe is that the marble subway tile and hex tiles in the shower are hard to clean. We squeegee after every shower, but I've yet to find a really good marble cleaner that works on soap scum!

o

Thanks for the marble update pipdog! I am looking for your bathroom on Houzz to add to my idea book !

o

Just wandered over from kitchens and wanted to add in how beautiful I think your bathroom is! Love the different sizes/shapes of marble all put together. Everything is lovely!

o

This is absolutely gorgeous. How has the glass been to clean? I was planning a shower with glass walls like this, but my sister says cleaning the glass is a nightmare. What are your thoughts? I could still go with a lighted walk-in with a tiled wall instead.

o

erikarochelle, we squeegee the shower/glass after every use and that makes cleaning it a lot easier. We use a glass cleaner on the glass every few weeks and it looks good as new.

o

Ethereal! The all-white is beautiful.

o

I love your bathroom! How big are the hex tiles on the floor? I couldn't find them on AKDO's website. Did you have them cut down from 12x12's? Thanks a bunch!

o

I never tire of looking at your bathroom!

o

Does anyone know about this floor? I would love to do this for my upcoming master bath renovation. Thanks.

o

pip;

gorgeous! Next summer we're planning on redoing our 3 BR's and I have considered going all white with all 3 of them--your BR is pushing me that way!

Love the sinks -- I've looked thru the posts and I can't find what they are? Can you share?

Thanks, Rita

o

thanks Rita. The sinks are 17x17 and were found at a bath specialty store in N. Hollywood called MTD Bath Supply. I had a hard time finding sinks that size.

thanks epressler, the hex marble is 8x9 (at the largest point). We went to the tile warehouse to pick out the exact tiles and I recall the tile distributor saying something about these being discontinued. It wasn't on the AKDO sample board we took home or in the showroom. We had originally planned to do the smaller hex tiles on the floor and we only discovered the larger hex tiles in the warehouse after we decided the smaller hex tiles were too busy for the space.

thanks sofla!

o

It's beautiful . . . And this is from someone who hates granite!

o

Pipdog, your bathroom is so beautiful! I'm green with envy (in a good way)! I hope you are enjoying it!

How is the Raindance system working out?

o

So bizarre - checked out c-cure white frost - Finally found color - beautiful! Put in next to my Lowe's white subway tile. Brought out PINK hue in tile, not seen before or since. Ah well,,,,,bright white it is. :/

o

It's gorgeous! We're in the final stages of a whole home reno and this is so inspiring.

o

I just found this. Such a beautiful transformation!! I just finished my own bath remodel and love how you framed around your mirror(s). It such a simple, yet elegant, solution. Did you glue the mirrors to the wall and place the frame around them, or is the frame routed to accommodate the mirror on the backside? The mirror was one of the toughest things for me. I ended up going with a framed mirror, but I prefer large expanses of mirror as you have.

o

I always love it when someone replies to this bathroom and I get to see it all over again. It never gets old :)

o

I love that bathroom. I wish pipdog would post on how the marble is holding up. I would love to know. It was what I first wanted when I thought of redoing my bathroom but became worried listening to the horror stories. I would not be the most diligent person when it comes to squeegeeing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here