Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellking_gw

Complete Master Bath Remodel is done! (Pictures)

ShellKing
11 years ago

Finally get to post some pictures because our master bath remodel is (99%) done.

We gutted the space, moved a couple small walls, moved a couple doors. Expanded one of the two closets and redid everything inside the bathroom. Thanks to GW and its contributors; a lot of ideas and inspiration came from this site during the last few months.

I love the floors! They are heated (which was a giant debacle)

Closet (used excess marble for a counter top under the window)

Closet

Pull out laundry hamper. This linen closet already existed in the w/c room. The hampers can be accessed from the bin, which is across from the closet doors, or from the inside of the linen closet from the toilet area.

Outlet in the medicine cabinet for toothbrush. The medicine cabinet is waiting for a wood frame to match the mirror.

Electrical outlet under the sink, with a switch and light to ensure power is off when not needed. There is also an outlet accessed from the vanity drawers on the inside of the cabinet.

two shower niches, a big one down low, and a tall narrow one on the wall.

Floor tile: Desert Cream Imperial Vein Cut Travertine by Florida Tile

Wall tile: 12x12 Durango Travertine

Decorative tile: Split Face Mosaic in Torreon by Arrizona Tile

Shower floor tile: 2x2 Socros Tumbled

Counter & Tub surround: Diano Reale polished marble

Paint Color: Kilim Beige by Sherwin-Williams

Vanity, Mirror Frame & Tub panels: custom made

Pulls: RK International Pull CP816 in polished nickel

Knobs: Anthroplogie Gemstone Knob

Bin Pull: 731-PN By Schaub & Company in polished nickel

Toilet Paper Holder & Magazine Holder: Pottery Barn Sussex in Polished Nickel

Ceiling Light: Kaplan Mercury Glass Pendant Pottery Barn

Wall Scones: Riverton Bath Sconces by Hudson Valley Lighting in polished nickel

Medicine Cabinet: Kohler

Sink: Kohler Caxton 19x15

Faucets: Moen Kingsley in Wrought Iron

Shower Glass: Starphire 1/2”

Tub: existing Jason

Toilet: existing Kohler

Comments (31)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice! I think I am missing it, but did you say what shower fixtures you used? I am particularly interested in if you can run 2 of your shower heads simultaneously (of the 3 you have) or if they are a choose one at a time set up?

Glad your infloor heat debacle worked itself out.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All the fixtures are Moen. For the shower it's just "Moen" without a particular style. It's the only ExactTemp (R) control they make in Wrought Iron. So there is the thermostatic control and then three separate volume controls. The hand shower is the basic Moen hand shower on a bar, and the shower head is the basic model. We did choose the "Waterhill" collection for the rain shower head because it was the largest one that came in Wrought Iron. We can run 1, 2 or 3 showers at a time -- but all are the same temperature.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Great looking bathroom. Beautiful floors. How do you like your heated floors? I love all the light you have with those big windows. How did you resolve your floor heating issues? Did they take it up and redo the whole thing?

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first tile guy removed the heating wires and then was off the job. He insisted his assistant had installed the wires correctly despite all the information I had from talking and emailing pictures to the manufacturer. It was a bad install and he wouldn't budge. I had the electrician install heated mats for the floors. I then hired new tile guy. I lost a lot of sleep in the process!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I particularly love the vein cut travertine and the open feeling of the bathroom. Thanks for sharing.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Great space, congratulations. The floor is just luscious looking. Enjoy!

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I love the travertine with the rich dark wood. Congratulations, well done!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the info on your shower controls.
    I also like the travertine.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Love it all! What a gorgeous bathroom. Your practical ideas are terrific too. I am copying them :)

The marble is so beautiful.

• edj115
    11 years ago

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I have a bathroom remodel project and this gives so many beautiful ideas.
    Do you have an overall diagram of your remodel you could post?
    Can you give the dimensions of your shower and tub (including interior size of tub) We have a similar set-up and would like to duplicate the look you have. Thanks!!

• edie3
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the fixtures, the overhead light, and that closet!!!

Can I ask why you went with one sink? My husband thinks we need two, but I do not think we have the room.

• Astacia
    11 years ago

really beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Lovely bathroom! Colors flow beautifully. You have created a very airy, and serene space.

Funny, I should have realized the floor was a vein cut trav (initially thought it might be a wood-look tile). We used vein cut Ocean Beige travertine in our FR and guest bedroom, and people are always commenting on the "wood" floors!

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've always had one sink and it's never bothered us -- so I just went ahead with a single sink. I like a lot of counter space. But now I don't want to keep anything on the counters because they are too pretty. I should have given double sinks more consideration. Especially because I know that some people consider it a must have (resale).

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Love the elegance & openness of the space!! Enjoy!!!

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Beautiful! You obviously really thought about the details (I love the idea of the electrical outlet in the medicine cabinet!) and it shows. Well done.

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! May I ask how big is your tub? Our master bath was demolished last week. We're planning to do a similar wood panel detail and just wondered how long your tub was. Thanks

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The inside of the tub is 55" x 30". So I'm guessing it is a standard 5' tub size. It is pretty deep. It was a drop in tub before the remodel. We kept it but made it an undermount. There was nothing wrong with it and we hardly ever use it, so buying a new tub wasn't important.

Here are some before & after pictures of the tub:

{{gwi:1473021}}

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

Thanks so much - ours is 60 x 30 so pretty much the same. Our question is one panel or 3 for the apron -- now we have a great example! Thanks again and enjoy that gorgeous room.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Looks great...Very nicely done!

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, what a great example of how you can completely change the look of an existing element (your tub) by changing its surroundings. Love the side by side comparision of a drop-in vs undermount tub.

• Alia Al
    11 years ago

Beautiful bathroom, I love everything especially the flooring. Thanks for sharing.

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

Wow! Beautifully done!!! I'm ready to start on mine now! Thx!!

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The shower door was installed yesterday. Here's a picture

The door is on pivot hinges on the top & bottom. It can be open inward and just clears the rainshower head by 1/8" or so. Pure luck because I wasn't counting on that working so well. The advantage now is that we can put hooks for our towels underneath the window -- and still be able to reach them when we are done showering. If the door had to open outward, the towels would've been behind the shower door. There's really no other good place to put them and the plan was always for hooks under the window. I'm glad it worked out.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

It looks great! I really hope I can get lucky with the swing on my shower door too - would love to be able to swing it inward.

I can't get over what a change you made by turning your existing tub into a drop-in. What a great idea!

• jjaazzy
    11 years ago

Very very pretty, you will walk into your space years from now and you will smile. That floor is amazing!

• zen4d
    11 years ago

Beautiful! How I wish I had that much space to work with.

• miruca
    11 years ago

Very very nice! I love the lowered ceiling in the shower.

What are the dimensions of your bathroom?

• menmsmom
    11 years ago

Love your bathroom. Mine is in progress and is going to look a lot like this. What wood are your cabinets? What color of stain?

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cabinets are oak and I'm not sure exactly what color. They weren't dark enough after the stain, so the cabinet maker added a glaze. I was trying to match/coordinate with my bedroom furniture.

• ShellKing
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long to measure and draw a quick picture. Not great -- but someone asked for a sketch.