Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karena_2009

Panasonic whisper fan

karena_2009
13 years ago

Hi guys,

Can you please share with me the model number for the Panasonic Whisper fan? Does it come with a light, too?

I am getting down to the end of buying most everything I need for the bathroom, but I don't know the model for the ventilation component. I want to have everything ready for when my contractor starts.

Also, how are you all wiring this fan up? I have read that it is possible to wire it so that it turns off after 15 minutes. How is that accomplished?

Thanks in advance!

karena

Comments (7)

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Karena, we just installed the WhisperWarm fan. It has heat, light, night light and exhaust. You really need to go to the link below and go through the "Choose your fan" link to find out which one you need. If you want heat, you will need a 20 amp circuit run to that spot in the ceiling.

We wired the exhaust part of the fan to a timer. My husband is pretty handy with wiring so it wasn't a big deal for him. But, you really do need to know what you're doing. If you want a fan plus light, you can have it switched separately or together so that they both go on and off at the same time. We didn't want that, so we have separate switches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Choose your Panasonic fan

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Karena, Panasonic mades a boatload of different models of fans. Why would this decision be easier than anything else in remodeling? ;)

Here's a link to Panasonic's web site showing the different models. There are ones with and without heater, with and without night lights, with and without motion sensors, and with different power fans for different sizes rooms.

You want to get the proper power fan -- measured in CFM, or cubic feet per minute of air they move -- for your bathroom. An 80 CFM unit is for a small bathroom up to about 80 square feet; a 110 CFM unit is slightly more powerful for a slightly larger room (or one with a ceiling higher than 8'). For a larger bathroom (over 120 square feet), you'll probably want a larger model. Here's a link to a room size-to-CFM calculator.

Depending which fan you select you may need two up to four switches. A basic fan and light requires two, although they could be combined. A heater is a separate switch, as is a nightlight. (You can buy switches which combine two switches in the space of one normal switch, so you only need a single or double-gang box on your wall, instead of a triple or quad.)

In terms of a timer for the fan, several companies make them. I've purchased ones from Lutron, which allow you to set the fan shut off after as little as 5 or as much as 60 minutes.

That's the Lutron model MA-T51. Below is the Lutron model MA-L3T251, which combines a timer on the bottom with a dimmer on top, in the space of a single switch. That's what I've used in both bathrooms to control the fan and the fan light; I'm not sure if that dimmer will work with the Panasonic if you choose a model which has a compact fluorescent light in it.

I was planning to get one of the Panasonic units because I read they were very quiet, but I didn't like the non-dimmable fluorescent light or the size of the unit in the ceiling. Others here suggested Fantech, which uses a much smaller, flat grill in the ceiling and puts the fan in the attic.
    {{gwi:1472947}}That's what we went with, and I'm happy with it.

I know, I know... you're thinking this is just one more thing which seemed simple until you looked into it! ;)

-- Eric

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Eric, Panasonic verified that the MA-L3T251 will NOT work with their CFL light. They also verified that they have no immediate plans to make that double switch with a fan timer and standard on-off switch.

If you have a double gang box, put a timer on just the fan and use a standard rocker switch for the CFL light.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Susan, I had no problem, because I used the Fantech fan and opted for a model with a halogen light (which can be dimmed) rather than a CFL.

Just to avoid confusing anyone reading this thread, Panasonic makes only the fans; Lutron makes the switches Susan and I are discussing above. I don't know if Panasonic makes any models of fans with a standard dimmable (incandescent or halogen) light instead of CFL; all the "Whisper" series fans I looked at were CFL.

The problem with using a double gang box for the Pansonic light and fan is that if you also want to use one with a nightlight, you need a third switch, and if you want to use one with heat, you need a fourth switch. If this is new construction, or your existing wall can accommodate a quad box (about 7 1/2 inches wide) -- and you don't object aesthetically to having a row of four switches -- then this is the way to go. If you want a smaller box, you can double up on plain on/off switches which come in double configurations, like this one from Leviton:
    {{gwi:1472948}}

Two of those side by side would allow you to control all four functions -- but you lose out on the timer for the fan. (Leviton also makes a triple switch, which could handle light, nighlight and heater, and leave the second switch in a duplex box for a fan timer, but I don't think it comes in a 20-amp version, which is needed for the heater. Perhaps someone else makes a triple switch in a 20-amp version.)

-- Eric

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Eric, I have the WhisperWarm and all four functions in a double gang box(studs were too close together for a triple gang box).

I have a Pass & Seymour fan timer in one side and then a Broan 66W three function control switch. It works fine with the heater, night light and CFL light. The switch is rated as 20 amp. I have the link shown below to the one I bought. I was fortunate to find it at Lowes.

When we remodel this bathroom, I plan on putting in a 3 gang box. I'll split off the heater to a mechanical crank timer that handles 20 amps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broan three function control Switch

• karena_2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OMG...love, love, you guys! Thank you Susan & Eric. Yeah, I'm about to the point where I can't stand making any more decisions! I don't need the heat being in California, I'll have to think about the night light--I kind of like that option.

Thanks for all of the pointers :-).

• ncamy
    13 years ago

When sizing one of these fans, should you size it just for the wet area (which in my case is separated from the rest of the bathroom by a shower door and header) or for the entire bathroom, dressing area, etc.? In our plan each area flows into the next. Our toilet will be in the wet area with the shower, but separated from the shower by full height tiled walls. The shower will not have a door on it. It is open to the toilet area which does have a shower door.