Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished bathroom - classic carrara and subway tile

Posted by sfmpls (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 17:26

I learned a ton from these forums while renovating our master bathroom, so I wanted to share the finished result in hopes of helping someone else. :)

Not sure if I'm uploading pics the right way ... here goes ...

Please respond with any questions and I'll provide sources and tips!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished bathroom - classic carrara and subway tile

Different angle on vanity and toilet ...

o

Shower -- all fixtures are Kohler

photo IMG_1327.jpg

photo IMG_1317.jpg

photo IMG_1325.jpg

This post was edited by sfmpls on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 17:35

o

More pics, please!
Looks great so far.

o

So, yeah. That's pretty much it. It's itty bitty! (Thus, hard to photograph!)

But we were able to pack a lot in. And believe it or not, it used to be even smaller. (Borrowed some space from the adjacent closet.)

House is a 1920s colonial in Chicago suburbs.

This post was edited by sfmpls on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:00

o

Lovely! It is great to see another example of a well executed small space here (sorry Houzz). You must be thrilled with how it all turned out.

o

Beautiful and timeless. Nice job!

o

It's beautiful!

I know about teeny-tine MB's even after stealing space...! LOL

o

Thank you! One of the designers I met with said she wouldn't even bid on it if we weren't willing to expand into the bedroom. I'm pleased to have met all of our needs (we're not bath people anyway) with a small but very functional space.

This post was edited by sfmpls on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 21:36

o

Thanks for the additional photos. It really looks terrific. How big is your shower?

o

It's beautiful. I love your carrara and the ogee edge. Love the floor tile. I think it's perfect in a smaller bathroom. Love the tile on the lower wall. Also the bottom of the toilet has a nice finish. Well done!!!

o

Here's a better shot of the vanity lighting. I wanted the biggest mirror possible, but with sconces on either side (rather than a less-flattering light over the mirror), so we mounted them on the mirror and that worked really well.

Sources:

Tile is all from The Tile Shop (glossy white subway tile with Biltmore Niles on the floor)
Plumbing fixtures are Kohler
Light fixtures are Pottery Barn
Other accessories (train rack, TP holder and towel ring) are by Moen
Toilet is Toto
Paint is Comfort Gray (S-W) on the walls and Decorator's White (BM) on the trim

o

The shower is teeny. I don't have the exact measurements in front of me, but it's roughly 4' across and 3' deep. That said, it feels way spacious now compared to before, when I felt like I was stepping into a coffin! (Wish I could share some "befores" but I unfortunately I neglected to take any.)

This post was edited by sfmpls on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 23:29

o

Thanks. I have a 32 x 40 shower in one bathroom, so I know what you mean.

o

It's really nice. Everything goes together perfectly and even if it is not a huge bathroom it certainly does not appear cramped. Nice job!

o

sfmpls, GREAT GREAT job!

This is exactly the look I'm going for in my current renovation - timeless because I don't want to do it again! We are DIYing it. I too am doing subway tile and my shower is also to the right of the door when you walk in.

I have a crazy request for you. Now that we are to the point of picking out materials and thinking about how things will look in the finished product the ending the tile by the door trim was stumping me. Could you possibly stand by your window and take a picture that captures the tiled area below your robe hook and includes the wood door trim?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

o

Gorgeous :)

o

Elegant! I like the subdued color scheme.

And TINY! That's excellent space-planning.

o

Thanks, everyone!!

dmsohio, just saw your question; I will try to snap one tomorrow for you!

o

Thanks sfmpls, I am just trying to see how to transition from the tile to the wood. I hope to make it look like it would have been done by a professional even though I'm not one!

o

Lovely bathroom!

o

Beautiful!

Can you please help share the dimensions/layout of the room?

I am planning on a small bathroom and would like to know just how small I can go.
I'm planning a wet room, so that I don't have to deal with shower door.

thank you very much,
Amanda

o

That is beautiful. I love the floor and love how you repeated it for the shower floor. The subway is timeless. I think I might need to rethink my plan to carry the floor tile to the shower. Please tell me the name of your floor tile.

Carol

o

It's really nice. Timeless, my favorite style. ;-)

o

wow impressive for a small space. Looks like a very quality job too.
I absolutely love that floor tile. Every time I see it I like it even more.
You made great choices.

o

Your bathroom is bigger than mine! LOL I love all of your choices. Enjoy.

o

Thanks, everyone!

The floor tile is Biltmore Niles from The Tile Shop.

The dimensions of the room are (approx) 8.5' long by 5.25' wide.

Here's a photo of the shower to door transition for dmsohio (hope you're still following the thread :) )

o

Very pretty bathroom! I like your narrow linen closet! We have a similar design dilemma (storage space issue) and something like this might work for us.

o

Beautiful bathroom!

A couple questions - did you use white grout? If so, how do you like it in terms of upkeep?

Love the handle on your glass door. Can you tell me the manufacturer of the door/handle?

Also, color of grout for floor?

I am looking into the same re-do for a small MBR with a small shower stall so I appreciate the photos so much!

o

Great job! I really like the cabinet that is at the head of the shower. That is a great use of space.

I don't think you shower sounds too small. The 36x48 is a common size for a shower pan that Kohler makes. I went with a 36x60 but could have easily done the smaller. I think the glass doors really give a spacious feel.

I have that same toilet in the rounded bowl version. I have been very happy with it over these last several years.

o

arapaho - Yes, white grout on the walls and it's fine so far, but we're only a couple months in. :) It's our master bath, however, so hopefully the kids won't find a way to ruin it!! And I'm sorry to say I have no idea who manufactured the door handle; I picked it out of a catalog that the glass guy showed me. (The glass and door are custom 1/2" frameless.) The grout on the floor is "Whisper Grey" from The Tile Shop.

This post was edited by sfmpls on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 23:35

o

What about those hand towels? I love them and they just might work in my bath.

o

Elegant. Perfect. Matches the house. A real world solution to a small bathroom.

o

The hand towels are from HomeGoods -- the brand is Peri.

o

arapaho - The handle is produced by C.R. Laurence of Canada. They have it on the website and it's in their catalog: Colonial 6" or 8".

Link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial 6

o

Hi! I might have missed it, but where did you buy your vanity?

Absolutely beautiful bathroom!

o

Love it! I am grabbing my bath robe and heading over now. ;)

o

Love it! Elegant, understated, efficient, timeless, everything. I will be borrowing some ideas from your design - so thank you.

o

The vanity and the wall cabinet were custom ordered through a local designer; the brand is Plato.

o

Love, love, love your bathroom! I'm working on the design for our very small master bath (6' x 7') and this is such great inspiration for what can be done in a small space. Thank you for including so many pics and product info.

Along the 6' wall, we're replacing the 30" x 60" bathtub with a shower only. I would love more storage in the bathroom. So I've been toying with the idea of dividing the space into 4' for a shower and 2' for a linen closet like yours. But, I'm concerned the shower would be too small and cramped. Alternatively, I could keep the same footprint and have a 5' shower + 1' bench and 32" deep.

How wide is the space used for your linen closet? Do you think 32" is too narrow for a 48" wide shower?

o

Kitandkaboodle, can you get a 36" wide shower pan in your spot? I have used a 36"x60" kohler cast iron pan. They also make a 36x48 pans. Some are drained to accommodate existing plumbing, others for new construction. I love cast iron and didn't even look at the acrylic, but they exist in various sizes too.

When you go on Kohler's website (it's awful to search) you might have better luck them me. I can never find specific items when I do a general search using their links. I go to tubs, for instance, and not all the tubs come up, even after I narrow my search. I have to type the product I want for it to display the product. Frustrating.

o

Is this the Bancroft line of Kohler faucet fixtures? Or, did you mix and match? How wide is the toilet space?

I'm dealing with a 1916 house that has a bath about the same size, but we don't even have the luxury of having a master or any space to put one in without doing major, major renovations and spending a gazillion dollars.

o

Beautiful! I love it!

o

needinfo1: Yes, the faucets are Bancroft by Kohler. The other accessories are from Pottery Barn and Moen.

o

Totally fab! Love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here