Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
op_mama

Finished bathroom - classic carrara and subway tile

op_mama
9 years ago

I learned a ton from these forums while renovating our master bathroom, so I wanted to share the finished result in hopes of helping someone else. :)

Not sure if I'm uploading pics the right way ... here goes ...

Please respond with any questions and I'll provide sources and tips!

Comments (66)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Elegant! I like the subdued color scheme.

And TINY! That's excellent space-planning.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!!

dmsohio, just saw your question; I will try to snap one tomorrow for you!

• Deborah Sigg
    9 years ago

Thanks sfmpls, I am just trying to see how to transition from the tile to the wood. I hope to make it look like it would have been done by a professional even though I'm not one!

• itltrot
    9 years ago

Lovely bathroom!

• huango
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

Can you please help share the dimensions/layout of the room?

I am planning on a small bathroom and would like to know just how small I can go.
    I'm planning a wet room, so that I don't have to deal with shower door.

thank you very much,
    Amanda

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

That is beautiful. I love the floor and love how you repeated it for the shower floor. The subway is timeless. I think I might need to rethink my plan to carry the floor tile to the shower. Please tell me the name of your floor tile.

Carol

• Mags438
    9 years ago

It's really nice. Timeless, my favorite style. ;-)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

wow impressive for a small space. Looks like a very quality job too.
    I absolutely love that floor tile. Every time I see it I like it even more.
    You made great choices.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Your bathroom is bigger than mine! LOL I love all of your choices. Enjoy.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

The floor tile is Biltmore Niles from The Tile Shop.

The dimensions of the room are (approx) 8.5' long by 5.25' wide.

Here's a photo of the shower to door transition for dmsohio (hope you're still following the thread :) )

• mom2sah
    9 years ago

Very pretty bathroom! I like your narrow linen closet! We have a similar design dilemma (storage space issue) and something like this might work for us.

• Arapaho-Rd
    9 years ago

Beautiful bathroom!

A couple questions - did you use white grout? If so, how do you like it in terms of upkeep?

Love the handle on your glass door. Can you tell me the manufacturer of the door/handle?

Also, color of grout for floor?

I am looking into the same re-do for a small MBR with a small shower stall so I appreciate the photos so much!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Great job! I really like the cabinet that is at the head of the shower. That is a great use of space.

I don't think you shower sounds too small. The 36x48 is a common size for a shower pan that Kohler makes. I went with a 36x60 but could have easily done the smaller. I think the glass doors really give a spacious feel.

I have that same toilet in the rounded bowl version. I have been very happy with it over these last several years.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arapaho - Yes, white grout on the walls and it's fine so far, but we're only a couple months in. :) It's our master bath, however, so hopefully the kids won't find a way to ruin it!! And I'm sorry to say I have no idea who manufactured the door handle; I picked it out of a catalog that the glass guy showed me. (The glass and door are custom 1/2" frameless.) The grout on the floor is "Whisper Grey" from The Tile Shop.

This post was edited by sfmpls on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 23:35

• edeevee
    9 years ago

What about those hand towels? I love them and they just might work in my bath.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Elegant. Perfect. Matches the house. A real world solution to a small bathroom.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The hand towels are from HomeGoods -- the brand is Peri.

• Mr_Garden
    9 years ago

arapaho - The handle is produced by C.R. Laurence of Canada. They have it on the website and it's in their catalog: Colonial 6" or 8".

Link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: Colonial 6

• meganmm
    9 years ago

Hi! I might have missed it, but where did you buy your vanity?

Absolutely beautiful bathroom!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love it! I am grabbing my bath robe and heading over now. ;)

• zargunn
    9 years ago

Love it! Elegant, understated, efficient, timeless, everything. I will be borrowing some ideas from your design - so thank you.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The vanity and the wall cabinet were custom ordered through a local designer; the brand is Plato.

• kitandkaboodle
    9 years ago

Love, love, love your bathroom! I'm working on the design for our very small master bath (6' x 7') and this is such great inspiration for what can be done in a small space. Thank you for including so many pics and product info.

Along the 6' wall, we're replacing the 30" x 60" bathtub with a shower only. I would love more storage in the bathroom. So I've been toying with the idea of dividing the space into 4' for a shower and 2' for a linen closet like yours. But, I'm concerned the shower would be too small and cramped. Alternatively, I could keep the same footprint and have a 5' shower + 1' bench and 32" deep.

How wide is the space used for your linen closet? Do you think 32" is too narrow for a 48" wide shower?

• enduring
    9 years ago

Kitandkaboodle, can you get a 36" wide shower pan in your spot? I have used a 36"x60" kohler cast iron pan. They also make a 36x48 pans. Some are drained to accommodate existing plumbing, others for new construction. I love cast iron and didn't even look at the acrylic, but they exist in various sizes too.

When you go on Kohler's website (it's awful to search) you might have better luck them me. I can never find specific items when I do a general search using their links. I go to tubs, for instance, and not all the tubs come up, even after I narrow my search. I have to type the product I want for it to display the product. Frustrating.

• julieste
    9 years ago

Is this the Bancroft line of Kohler faucet fixtures? Or, did you mix and match? How wide is the toilet space?

I'm dealing with a 1916 house that has a bath about the same size, but we don't even have the luxury of having a master or any space to put one in without doing major, major renovations and spending a gazillion dollars.

• eclair
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love it!

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

needinfo1: Yes, the faucets are Bancroft by Kohler. The other accessories are from Pottery Barn and Moen.

• hunzi
    9 years ago

Totally fab! Love it!

• Lilyka
    9 years ago

This whole look is absolutely gorgeous!! What brand subway tile/chair rail/base board tile did you use? Are they matte, or is that just an effect of the photos?

• StellaMarie
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post that just got bumped, but I couldn't resist complimenting you. I have a teeny, tiny master bath in a 1940s colonial that will need to be redone and this gives me hope. :) I'm saving this thread for sure!

(Also agree with a prior poster on Houzz -- the "small" baths seem to be the size of both of my bathrooms put together!)

This post was edited by StellaMarie on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 12:10

• op_mama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@StellaMarie -- thank you! I'm glad I could help.

@Lilyka -- The tile is all from The Tile Shop. I used their basic white glossy subway tile with coordinating trim and baseboard pieces. It's definitely not matte -- must be the lighting here.

• meganmm
    8 years ago

Absolutely beautiful bathroom! I'm using your pictures as my inspiration for the remodel we are about to do on our bathroom.

After many months in, how are you liking the white grout in the shower? Also, what color grout did you use on your floor?

Thank you.

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 years ago

More than a year later and I'm back with another question! I keep coming back to your beautiful bathroom and I'm just about ready to begin my reno.

Is the baseboard tile a continuous long piece or is it actual tiles side by side? I see you said it's all from The Tile Shop.

Thanks again for your help!

• op_mama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi! The baseboard is made up of white ceramic tiles that match the subway tile - all from The Tile Shop.

• BirchPoint
    8 years ago

I LOVE your bathroom! Exquisite!

• Micki-Micki
    8 years ago

I agree with all of the compliments. I love your bathroom. This is a great example of how a small bathroom can be chock full of features.

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 years ago

I have a couple questions--- What size are the subway tiles? Are the trim pieces the exact same length as the subways? By trim, I'm looking at the moldings that surround the subways. Thank you again!

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 years ago

Do you have any trouble with the shower door leaking? Is it a pivoting door or does it just swing out? Did you say your door was by Kohler?

• op_mama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The subway tiles are the classic 3x6 size. The trim pieces are 2x8. All are from the Imperial Bianco Gloss line from The Tile Shop.

The door doesn't leak at all. It is not by Kohler -- it is custom made 1/2" glass. It swings inward and outward.

• meganmm
    8 years ago

I will have to take a picture later, but your bathroom totally inspired my master remodel. Just beautiful...except I used Cashmere Gray as my wall color.

How is the white grout holding up for you in the shower? Any problems keeping it clean?

• op_mama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I had to do it over again, I might have used light gray grout on the wall tile and the darker gray on the floor. The white grout is a little tricky to maintain, because I'm scared to use anything harsh or bleach-based for fear of damaging the marble floors, threshold and countertop. However, I've found I can spot clean mildew spots with a Clorox bleach pen without hurting anything else too badly.

• Jeannine
    8 years ago

Marble can totally take diluted bleach!

I was so afraid to use bleach on my marble, but a Turkish friend told me her families has always used diluted bleach and their marble has been around far longer than any of the marble in the US! :)

The cleaner that actually damaged my tile was OxyClean and it was recommended here!

Once I started using diluted bleach on my marble bathroom, cleaning was sooo much easier.

• lotteryticket
    8 years ago
    I recently heard that Spray and Wash cleans grout. I figured it was worth a shot. It works to remove soap build up and I don't see any damage to our marble basket weave floor. Who knew? But it is soapy so rinse well to prevent slipping.
  • lilacinjust
    8 years ago

Love this bathroom. Great inspiration ideas.

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b340/ohlhoffa/IMG_1327.jpg

I'm back again and want to thank you first for addressing all my questions. I attached your photo to help.

In this photo, what is the measurement of the individual tile pieces used molding along the bottom of the walls inside the shower?

It looks like have a marble slab on the top of the curb?

Outside the shower, there is molding underneath the slab of marble - is that made of wood and painted white to match your trim and cabinets?

• glfjjf
    8 years ago

What are the measurements of your bathroom? We are doing a small 6x6 bathroom and I like your shower. not sure if it will work with my size bathroom

• K Sissy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I love your bathroom, esp the basket weave tile and the marble vanity top. It looks like our MBR are about the same size. We just finished doing some work in our bathroom. We got a new porcelain tile floor, ceramic shelves in our shower, wood linen closet in our dressing area, toilet, etc. Our sliding shower door is 23 yrs old and I am thinking about installing a new hinged frameless door in its place. Our opening is 45" wide. Since it has been over one yr since you installed yrs, what do you think about it now? Has it ever leaked? How much $ did it cost? I was quoted $1200.00 for a Basco Door. That seems very expensive to me. Please forgive me for asking about the cost. I'm trying to find out what is reasonable. I live outside of Cinti OH. I want a big door, and the guy at Lowes said that it would have to be custom ordered. He said that the biggest that I could get was 33. How big is your door?Would you install a frameless hinged door again if you could do it all over again? Sorry for the barrage of questions. Thanks so much for your help. FYI for everyone who is considering a bathroom remodel: get the best tile guy you can. Pay extra for him. We uncovered damage and he knew exactly what to do to fix things correctly. The time and effort that he put into our job to get everything just right was wonderful to see. It turned out beautifully. Thanks so much Brandon Berryman - Tile Installer!

• op_mama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@K Sissy--I still love the frameless door. It does not leak; I think the fact that the threshold is a bit high helps with that. And there's a little lip of rubber along the bottom edge (I'm sure there's a technical term for it but I don't know it) that helps to keep water in the shower.

We ordered the door custom through my contractor's glass guy and it was definitely a splurge--something like $1,800 if I recall correctly.

• op_mama
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Arapaho--I don't know offhand, but you could look on The Tile Shop's site to get the dimensions of the baseboard tile. There is a marble slab for the threshold, yes. And underneath it is more of the baseboard ceramic tile from The Tile Shop. HTH