Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babka68

7'x11' bath with LARGE floor tile

Babka NorCal 9b
10 years ago

When our designer came up with 24" x 24" floor tile for may smallish master bath I had my doubts...no longer. 12x14 on the shower walls. The bathroom feels much larger than it did with all the old 4" ceramic squares from the 70's.

-Babka

{{gwi:1472831}}

Comments (24)

• enduring
    10 years ago

That is beautiful, but come on, where are the rest of the pictures! You can't do this to me ;)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yeah, what she said!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still needs something over the toilet. The last photo is my view from the inside of the shower. I really like that bamboo glass, for privacy and no squeegee-ing. The shower curb is just 3" off the floor on the outside and less than 2" where you step in, which makes it very easy for getting in and out.

-Babka

{{gwi:1472832}}

{{gwi:1472833}}
    {{gwi:1472834}}

{{gwi:1472835}}
    {{gwi:1472836}}
    {{gwi:1472837}}
    {{gwi:1472838}}
    {{gwi:1472839}}

• enduring
    10 years ago

You have done a wonderful job. Everything is so well thought out. The tiles are very well done. Little detail, the hook, is that through the glass? I recall on another thread you mentioned have the glass drilled for that hook, before tempering. How is it working for you. It is a great solution. I really find the outdoors coming in, restful and a great idea. Thanks for posting.

• maggieq
    10 years ago

Beautiful....well done! What is the size of your vanity, and which sinks did you use? Can't wait til we get our new MB.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I absolutely love what you've done with this bathroom. The large format tile is fantastic. And I really like the linear drain. Also, the way the bamboo glass works with the outdoor space is perfection.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

Enduring- Yes, that hook is screwed into a 1/2" hole pre-determined before the glass got tempered. It's just the right place to hang a bath towel so i don't have to open the shower door very far to grab it a dry off inside the warm shower.

MaggieQ- The vanity is 7' (custom drawers) with Lacava sinks. These come with 2" click clack drain. Its a nice change from the old one.

{{gwi:1472840}}

Pricklypear- DH and I have reached "a certain age" where we like the privacy afforded by obscure glass, and it allows us to use a no-rinse shower cleaner. No squeegee here.

The plan using gray/white/black is to be able to change color with towels on a whim. I like to "whim" once in a while. ;-)

-Babka

• mmcf
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous and tastefully done! Makes me wish I'd gotten 24" x 24" tile for the floor in my similarly sized 8' x 12' bathroom. Chickened out and bought 12" x 24" for wall and floor. Your colorways are similar to mine so I especially appreciate seeing how yours came together. Looks like you used a Schluter type trim in some places?? Can you please share what type(s) and color used?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mmcf- You guessed right! Schluter Quadec.(brushed stainless) We were going to have it just on the top of the backspash, but I was concerned about the busy-ness of the Caesarstone (Nougat) with the sparkly silver metallic/marble/glass in the mosaic. Someone here on the forum had a similar problem with a swirly granite and a design-y backsplash, so they put it a "pencil" tile to slightly separate the two. I like the separation in our situation too.

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

Babka, I have a small question about esthetics. With your shower glass being translucent and not clear, do you miss not seeing your pretty shower tile when you walk in your BR? The reason I ask is I like the concept of having the frosted type shower glass, but then I won't see my tile, and my large shower niche that I am planning.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Enduring- My favorite tile is the sparkly mosaic on the outside which I can see all the time. The silver metalic tiles don't show up so well in photos. After showering, (and I will admit to taking longer showers because it is so nice to be in there)we leave the door ajar so that the little plastic piece along the bottom can dry too. So I get to enjoy the inside tile when I shower and until I decide to close the door later on. (!) Although we have nice Grohe hardware in there, I don't especially like looking at the hose, and the partially open door takes care of that too! The door stays wherever I put it.

-Babka

{{gwi:1472841}}

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Does your door swing both ways?

I will have a 5' long cast iron shower pan and need to figure out a door for it. Months ago I talked to a local glass outfit and looked at bypass doors, and frameless options. Now I am thinking about french door options. I do not mind the look of a rail on top of the doors. It will provide some structural strength too, I assume. My family is not delicate (I am though ;)

I have wanted to put a vertical grab bar in the entry way to assist in getting in and out. But it looks like I can only do that if the doors are bypass type. Otherwise there would be a panel or door in the way, preventing use of the grab bar upon entering/exiting. I am also leery of the swinging door being flung open and hitting the wall.

I don't want any holes drilled into the cast iron curb. Kohler has a few doors for use with this pan, on their website, or I could do a more custom door set up.

Any input would be helpful.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

My favorite part is the view! Beautiful design.
    Renee

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the door swings both ways. It is 3/8" glass and heavy and would be difficult to fling...you do have to push it in or pull it out with a small effort, and it stops anywhere you put it, unlike a regular bedroom door that you can give a good shove and it flings open. I don't know if all hinges work that way. The full length 7" wide wall was added there to ensure that a 90 degree opened shower door wouldn't bump into the sliding glass doors that go outside...also to keep us from having a 36" wide door.

We were concerned about not being able to have a grab bar right at the entrance to the shower, but with one foot in the shower you can easily grab the bar on the wall if necessary. We did have to put one in our guest bathroom (tub with shower) where you have to step over the tub sideways to get in because of the sliding doors.

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the helpful information. So how wide is your door? 30"? 28"? I wonder what 2-30" doors would be like on a shower? Do you think it would be too much moving glass? Would it need to be 1/2" glass? I should start my own thread about this. I think I have an old shower door thread though. I'll see if I can revive something. Thanks :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My door is 26 1/2". The bathroom designer said they do 28 to 32" doors all the time and they are not too large for the 3/8" glass. (which is the way my preferred bamboo glass came from Cardinal). We wanted a 12" bench, so our door was pretty much pre-determined. My bedroom doors are 30" wide and those are comfortable to open and walk in. Ask a local shower door company to confirm. Only one door would probably be opened at a time, unless you are taking a shower with a friend...a close friend. ;-)

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hey Babka, I just noticed your TP holder. I have been looking for that type. Chrome, inset, very plan in detailing. I want the inset to save a bit of space. I also like the security of my TP roll locked into place :)

I have seen many low cost ones from 15-25 dollars. I have seen a Newport Brass that I found for around $50-58. A Geesa (sp) brand. A Bobrick brand that might be nice- I think it might be polished stainless though. Then there was a Ginger brand that was over $100. It is too fancy though. I want plain detailing.

What brand did you get and how have you liked the chrome plating, installation, and overall quality? Depth for installation should not be a problem for me as my wall is a 6" wall.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is Trim By Design chrome finish...just under $100. Much better made than the Moen $15 one.

-Babka

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I found their website, but am having trouble finding sites that sell it in chrome.

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    10 years ago

Babka, I am an artist who creates variety of styles and sizes of paintings at reasonable costs. If you're interested, let me know... that space above the commode is yelling for a painting! :-)

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    10 years ago

PS: I came to this thread because of your floor tile, it is exactly what I want to do in our bathroom. Looks fantastic!

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    10 years ago

PS: I came to this thread because of your floor tile, it is exactly what I want to do in our bathroom. Looks fantastic!

Here's a picture that shows what it could be:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Babka NorCal 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Keithdirt- How did you ever know I love cranes! And your photo is Asian and contemporary (which is the old theme of the bathrom. Thanks for the mock-up photo. I'm undecided about either a painting or something sculptural. I'll work on that after my hostas go dormant!

The floor tie is Brio "Sharkskin". 24x24

-Babka

• PRO
    it'sALLart
    10 years ago

Thanks, Babka... keep in mind anything sculptural will be harder to clean. (I make all my decisions based on ease of cleaning! LOL).