Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Quote From My Cabinet Maker

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

Why didn't I call him first and save myself all the time I've spent looking for a vanity?! I know why. Cause DH said it would cost more. I found my receipt for the vanity/mirror surround and a wall cabinet he did in 2007 for my bathroom. $1100 unstained. LOVE his work. He's known around here to be very meticulous. I'm very pleased with what he did for us 7 years ago. His quote for a 36x36x23 vanity w/ 3 drawers and one cabinet (sink will be to the right, not centered), stained alder, installed, $375-$400 Yay! If anyone is searching for a vanity and concerned about the quality and or not finding exactly what you want, get a quote from a local cabinet maker. It might be less spendy than you think. Here is what he did for us in 2007. The stain isn't quite as dark as it appears on the cabinets, but close. The mirror frame is accurate (on my screen)

Comments (10)

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

I'll second that. And you get exactly what you want. I love the millwork around the mirror.

• itltrot
    9 years ago

I am happy with my cabinet maker. He was within the $100 of the semi-custom cabinets from Lowes. And I got completely customized.

• golfergirl29
    9 years ago

any suggestions on how to find a good local cabinet maker?

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

golfergirl, word of mouth. Ask around but what is exceptional work to one person might not be exceptional to you. See if it would be possible to see some of his work. My husband knew of this guy's reputation. 100% of the people I asked had positive things to say about him as a person and subcontractor as well as his excellent work.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

As someone that wakes up next to a custom cabinet maker every day I'll agree with the above suggestions. Maybe check Angie's list if possible. And I'll add that when you are meeting with them, have some general thoughts of what you want. Doesn't have to be exact measurements but general size, finish (stained or painted), type of wood if stained, number of drawers, number of doors. If you don't know those specifics pictures can be very helpful. A cabinetmaker worth his salt can look at pictures and make suggestions to get the look you're after. Then when you're getting multiple bids you'll be comparing apples to apples.

Lisa

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"His quote for a 36x36x23 vanity w/ 3 drawers and one cabinet (sink will be to the right, not centered), stained alder, installed, $375-$400."

This cabinetmaker is collecting a pension, or isn't doing it to make money, because he isn't. He can't at those rates.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Agree with Trebuchet. I'm in LA and for $400 all my cabinetmaker would have given me would be 2 drawers!

• xedos
    9 years ago

How would YOU define a " good " cabinet maker ?

That's the starting point for this discussion.

Also, it doesn't matter if you live in East Possum Hollow or on Park Ave. - a drawer body worth having and that will last costs at minimum a hundred bucks to procure, assemble, and deliver even if you forgo a profit.

Now, if one were yo use a pair of exposed partial extension epoxy slides for $7.95, and some scrap plywood he had lying around charging you nothing cause someone else already paid for it , and decided that all the labor expended on going to the depot to buy said cheap slides and to cut / nail / glue free plywood together was only worth ten dollars to him - then sure , you could get a "nice " looking vanity for 400 clams.

Oh, sorry mam, I forgot to charge you for the glue , prolly used about two bits worth. Oh, and that quart of stain was 14.95. But , I'm not chargin ya for the ploy because I had some left over from aunt Mable's pie safe.

It's great that you got a smoking deal for a good looking cabinet. However, you experience isn't typical or even realistic for the vast majority of people coming across this thread.

Be kind of like me showing you my first kitchen and it's fabulous German engineering and gee wiz appliances none of which cost me dime - aren't I lucky ?

This post was edited by xedos on Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 7:07

• golfergirl29
    9 years ago

Monicakm, thanks. A little tougher since I'm new to the area, but you never know what you'll find when you ask around!

• golfergirl29
    9 years ago

Thanks, monicakm. I'm relatively new to these boards and am SO grateful for so many great suggestions!