Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplerascal_gw

Toto: on skirts and seats and sitting pretty

purplerascal
13 years ago

So I've been circling the Toto toilets for a while now, trying to decide which one will work for our bathroom. The skirted ones are the most tempting, for ease of cleaning and simplicity of line (because this is a gut job, we can easily figure out the supply line placement). The Carrollton leads the pack at the moment, for its vintage styling, with the Vespin and Aquia as plain and acceptable. runners-up.

But I'm really not a fan of the standard Toto seats, the ones that funnel inwards and downwards. As one of my children described it, it's "like sitting in a black hole."

What are my other options? Alas, I couldn't get a straight answer from the local Toto retailer today. He seemed to think you could only use one of two plastic Toto seats on *all* the skirted toilets. Can that be right? It sounded wrong to me.

I know there are issues with accessing the bolts, but can one use other brand seats with Toto-style top-down bolts?

And/or, if only Toto seats work, which non-funnel ones work with the models on my shortlist? Can you use the nice dark wood seat with any of the skirted loos?

Many thanks for any advice! Including tips on your most comfortable seat, and how you solved your own toilet seat dilemma, if you had one...

Comments (14)

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Are you talking about Soft-Close seats? Regular or elongated? Not sure why you don't like them. We all like those seats.

• purplerascal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both regular and elongated; the soft-close and the other kind. It's the inward slope -- we all felt sort of precarious on them, as if we were being sucked down into the bowl.

Perhaps one gets used to it eventually? But if there was an option that was flatter and less vortex-like, that would be great.

• jacobse
    13 years ago

I recently installed two new Toto toilets (Carlyle II) with the included soft-close plastic seat, and my wife and I have no problem with the seat comfort. Certainly, I don't feel like I'm being sucked into the bowl! Looking at it now, the inward slope seems pretty minimal to me, and not much different from many other toilet seats. (Sorry, I can't answer your question about what else might fit a Toto.)

-- Eric

• diynewbie_sf
    13 years ago

Hi purplerascal - I understand exactly what you are saying! We just bought the Aquia II Dual Max (DH was dead set on a dual flush) but I really didn't like the slope of the seats on the Totos in the showroom. Most of the toilets were shown with the the round or elongated transitional soft close seats (SS114-01 and SS113-01) which have a bit more inward slope than the elongated traditional soft close (SS154-01). We ended up special ordering the elongated traditional soft close from Pacific Sales. (It's still more pitchy than our current Kohler seat but a bit more comfy than the transitional style). We haven't installed the new toilet yet so we'll have to see! Good luck!

• susanelewis
    13 years ago

Wow, I had no clue that Toto had two styles of SoftClose seats. It appears the traditional is more expensive. I wonder if that is why my husband isn't as thrilled with these new toilets (comfort-wise) as I am. I'll have to look into the traditional seat.

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I just had 4 Toto toilets installed and had a hard time figuring out which ones to get and which seats. Since I needed 4, I went with the good old Toto Drake to save a few bucks although some of the other styles would have been easier to clean around. I bought the regular old Soft close seat for the elongated bowl.

I found that I don't care which Toto I ended up with. They are so wonderful and the soft close seats are wonderful. I never, ever thought I'd be standing there flushing over and over again and marveling over a toilet. But I did. And slamming the seat, which doesn't slam. It's unbelievable how these things perform, even the entry level models. I could go on all day. I also bought two Toto pedestal sinks because I'm in love with Toto now and they were cheaper than a Kohler sink.
    I have a 4 year old and I suspect the Toto Drake could take a Barbie Doll, no problem.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Our Soirees came with the SS214. I don't know how that seat compares to any of the above mentioned seats.

• purplerascal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone - and thank you diynewbie_sf for the tip about the traditional softclose. I am going to go and test them out again, see if I can find something that fits the bill, as it were.

Funny that some of us love the slope and others don't. I guess we're all different, at bottom. Ahem.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Yes, purplerascal, I know exactly what you're talking about! I feel like our Toto soft-close seat on our Toto Drake is like sitting on a funnel where I constantly feel like I might fall in. (I should really ask my significant other if he feels this way about the seat too.) I have no idea what part number the seat is. Thank you for sharing, diynewbie_sf, that there is a "traditional" soft-close seat that might have less of a slope. I know when I was purchasing the toilet that the local plumbing store asked whether I wanted to Toto seat or other (cheaper) brand. I assumed the Toto would be better quality, but at least it sounded like other brands could fit on the toilet.

• marysdottir
    13 years ago

My plumbing supply store said they usually sell the Totos with a Crane seat but when mine arrived it had the Toto seat. So I know that at least some Crane seats fit on the Toto toilets.

Strange that people feel so differently about this seat - we all love the slope on it. I feel like its "hugging" me but then perhaps people who have a bit less to hug might feel like they were falling in!

• marysdottir
    13 years ago

My plumbing supply store said they usually sell the Totos with a Crane seat but when mine arrived it had the Toto seat. So I know that at least some Crane seats fit on the Toto toilets.

Strange that people feel so differently about this seat - we all love the slope on it. I feel like its "hugging" me but then perhaps people who have a bit less to hug might feel like they were falling in!

• marysdottir
    13 years ago

Sorry for the double post. I used my back button repeatedly and ended up on the page saying my message had been posted - maybe that caused it? Anyway, sorry.

• lennym
    13 years ago

We've had the Toto Carrollton for 5 years and have used a $30 soft close seat from HD with no problem. Recently we got a Soiree that came with a seat and it's fine, not a funnel.

• purplerascal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL, marysdottir. Maybe those of us that are short on love handles should install grab bars?

I ordered the Vespin today, and will go seat-shopping tomorrow. So far the Mayfair soft-close wooden seat is looking promising, nice shape and a good price.

(Truly, bath items have to be the trickiest things to try before you buy! I have never been so interested in other people's bathroom furnishings. Friends are starting to look at me funny when I emerge from their bathrooms with a tape measure and notepad in hand and a new glint in my eye... and my kids have been studiously test-driving the Toto Washlet at the local showroom, even though I've broken the sad news that it's just not in our budget).

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource