Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jssaustintx

keeping new tile job clean

jssaustintx
11 years ago

Hi all. My apologies in advance, I know this is one of those topics that gets rehashed a lot. I've spent a fair amount of time looking here and on the cleaning forum, though, and I still have questions.

We installed hexagon tile (sanded grout) on the floor and subway tile (unsanded)in the shower. (Tile guy sealed with water based sealant- yeah, I learned later solvent-based better, but we are just gonna hope for the best.) So in y'alls' opinions- what is the best way to keep both the floor and shower tiles AND their respective grouts clean?

The cleaning forum had lots of different ideas: Magic Eraser, Tilex, Soft Scrub, 1 part vinegar-1 part water solution, but I'm curious what folks who know tile and grout think. We definitely have the squeegee down, but I need a good cleaning product/plan for the weekly bathroom cleaning.

TIA for any suggestions! jss

Comments (13)

• StoneTech
    11 years ago

Just use a simple PH/Neutral cleaner if it gets dirty. Better yet is to simply towel down the shower when done...every time. Get into the habit of using liquid soap. Most "Bar" soap contains animal fats as a filler/binder. This is what you see as "scum." Do these things and it will look new for years to come......

• williamsem
    11 years ago

The truth about gout thread in Kitchens might be helpful. I believe the rec there was oxyclean.

• jssaustintx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. For some reason I feel like I'm not cleaning if I am not using some kind of "product." This may be a dead thread and if so I'll repost, but does anyone know if spraying a weak vinegar solution after showering is harmful to grout? I've read it's a good preventative for mildew and scum(I'll stay away from bar soap!) but have ALSO read that acid= bad for grout. ?

• StoneTech
    11 years ago

Some types of tile can be etched with an acidic solution, like vinegar....it may also affect the grout color. Stay with a neutral PH cleaner.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Oxyclean is the winner. It'll clean just as good as bleach will, but it won't ruin the grout, like bleach will over time (Bleach, as in Chlorox, of course, but also magic eraser and Tilex) As for Soft Scrub, you don't want to use any kind of abrasives, even a mild one like this. As for Vinegar, any time you see someone mention this, you tell em i said they don't know what they're talking about. There is only ONE TIME, that ANY kind of acid, mild or not, CAN (NOT SHOULD) be used, and that's right after grouting, to remove any haze that might be on the face of the tile. other than that, KEEP ACID AWAY!!!

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

+1
    Hi Bill :)
    Monica

• jssaustintx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perfect- That's exactly what I needed! Oxyclean it is- for when dirty. Otherwise I will try to dry 'em as we go. Y'all are so generous with your time and expertise. Very helpful and appreciated! jss

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Oxyclean powder or spray ?
    Salbwil

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Look at this!! Flyleft. Monica, Salbwil-- what's this-- a reunion??? Hey Ladies!!!

Sally-- the powder. Mix it as recoimmended on the side of the tub. In most cases, I'll suggest to use a brush to scrub the joints, and then a wet vac to suck it up (rather than using a mop), but in this case, you can just rinse it down the drain.

• jssaustintx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your question Salbwil- I hadn't thought about which one. Thanks Bill. Happy cleaning!

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Those two words just don't belong together! (happy cleaning) That's like...... military intelligence, or honest politician! :-)

• monicakm_gw
    11 years ago

LOL Bill! I guess it is kinda a reunion for me...my 10th :) Can't believe my "new" kitchen is 10 years old and "new" master bath is almost 5 years old :o I've spent 100s of hours on GardenWeb and and the knowledge reaped has been invaluable. Hopefully I was able help others as much as I was help. If CdeL (Clair de Luna) shows up it'll be a party!

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

I'm sure you did. :-)