Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Matte hex on floor and shiny subway on shower walls?

threeapples
11 years ago

Is this a bad idea design-wise?

Comments (13)

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

We have this in a bathroom in our summer house. I love it! I wish I had a photo, but I am not there right now - I could take one and send it in a few days. The still of our bath there is sort of coastal vintage (if that makes any sense!)

• User
    11 years ago

Matte is less likely to show hard water spots

• eandj
    11 years ago

That is what we are currently having installed. I think it looks great!

• Janieful
    11 years ago

We are doing the exact same thing in our bathroom right now. It will be an unglazed Daltile hex on the floor and glazed Daltile subway on the walls and tub surround. The tile company said this is standard procedure. I'll post pictures for you in a few weeks when it is done.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Threeapples--the crossville tile that I used has a coordinating hex for the floor that only came in matte. So I have the gloss beadboard and subway in my shower and baseboard and the matte on my floor. It looks really nice.

Here's a link to the brochure that shows you pictures of the matte floor with the gloss tiles. My bathroom is not this luxurious :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• nhbaskets
    11 years ago

Redlover--could you post a picture showing your floor, tile and beadboard? This is exactly what I'm considering. Also, what is your countertop? Thanks!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I will do it tomorrow- promise.
    All in tonight.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Nhbaskets-- let me know if you want close ups.

My house is 7 yrs old but I think my granite is new Venetian gold or Venetian gold. Also my shower is wet. Looks better when it is dry.

{{gwi:1424874}}

{{gwi:1472671}}

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

threeapples, we bought honed hex marble tile for our floors and polished marble subway tiles. Even though it was the same stone (Calacatta marble), the honed hex for the floor was a totally different color than the subway tiles. When we started laying the floor tiles, we thought it was a mistake in our order and that the hex tiles were a different kind of marble. They weren't. According to the person who sold us the tile, honing marble can take out some of the warm tones and change the color of the marble.

We ended up swapping out the honed hex floors for polished. I did not want polished floors in a bath because of the slippery issue, but we had no choice as we had already installed the polished subway tiles in the shower.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Nope. We have honed venetino tile on our guest bath floor and Daltile subway on the wall above the tub. Ditto for our youngest boy's bath - matte porcelain limestone look tile with white subway on walls. Looks great both places, I think.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Not a bad idea at all.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

BV - love the floors! What color grout did you end up using?

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Laticrete Silver Shadow.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022