Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen526

40x40 round tubs - comfort level?

jen526
10 years ago

My master bath (rough layout attached) has a small-ish single shower stall and a decent-sized tub (roughly 54 x 40) along one wall, and I've been pretty dissatisfied with the size of the shower, in particular. I've been trying to come up with a workable way to use the space to still have the option of an occasional soak in a jetted tub, but to have more room devoted to the shower that gets daily use.

Without doing drastic changes in plumbing location, my favorite idea so far is almost exactly this: https://www.houzz.com/photos/eugene-steam-shower-with-japanese-tub-contemporary-bathroom-phvw-vp~848992-Steam-Shower-with-Japanese-Tub-contemporary-bathroom-other-metro

I'm perfectly happy with replacing tub length with more depth, but in some pictures, the Beverly and other 40x40 tubs look SO small. I'm fairly overweight, and concerned that trying to use one of these tubs will be laughable. The oval shape and width of my current 40"-ish wide tub is plenty big enough for me, but from pictures, I'm betting you lose some inner width due to the roundness?

My weight issues have me a little nervous to visit showrooms without doing some pre-investigation first (and I'm not sure I'll even be able to find a means to try it out in my area anyway). Does anyone have experience with this type of tub and can comment on the comfort/useability for larger folks?

Comments (4)