Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gpraceman55

Powder Room Redo

gpraceman55
10 years ago

We redid our 5' x 5' powder room recently along with a kitchen and family room reno. It wasn't our intention to redo it at the time, but the hardwood floor guy asked if I could remove the toilet so he could get the floors sanded there. Well, if the toilet was coming out, I was going to also take out the pedestal sink (I hate the things - no storage). I told DW that now that it is out, it isn't going back in. Fortunately, she agreed.

I wish that I had some before pictures, so I'll just have to describe it. The builder and the previous (and original) home owner went really cheap with everything. It had a very plain pedestal sink with an ultra cheap chrome faucet. A cheap oval mirror above it, with a cheap brass light fixture above that. TP holder was cheap chrome and recessed into the wall. Due to the pedestal sink, we had a small cabinet in there for TP and cleaning supplies. There was no towel holder to wipe your hands off on. To top that off, it had a really loud bath fan.

We found a vanity that we liked, off of the Home Depot website. The stain is close to that of the cabinets that went into our kitchen. We just wish that it had the door hinges on the other side. We didn't particularly like the black granite top that it came with. With our good experience with redoing our fireplace surround and hearth with soapstone, I decided to do a DIY soapstone countertop and backsplash for it. Soapstone is not hard to work with using regular woodworking tools. I fitted it with a hammered copper sink, to coordinate with our kitchen farmhouse sink and installed a brushed nickel faucet.

Here's a better view of the counter and sink. On the backsplash, I saw that end profile somewhere on the web and just had to do it. Outlet and switch plates were changed out to coppery looking ones. A brushed nickel towel ring was added.

We love having storage now for TP and cleaning supplies.

Above the vanity is a matching mirror and is topped off with a brushed nickel light fixture.

Toilet handle and TP holder changed out to brushed nickel. We like how you can more easily change out the TP with this holder (just flip it up). The water valves for the toilet and vanity were replaced with ones that only take a 1/4 turn to shut. The old ones were leaky anyway.

Coordinating trash can and vent cover. Walls have a fresh coat of paint and the baseboards are all new. Freshly redone hardwoods in a lighter color.

All of the brass has now been purged from the bathroom, including the door handles and hinges. The bath fan was also replaced with a quieter one.

Comments (18)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice! Nice to hear so many people DIYing with soapstone. It came out great.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I know that it is hard to get excited over a little powder room, but it was a great little project that helps make the main floor much more welcoming.

Here's our other soapstone DIY project. I designed and built the mantel and surround. It is inlaid with soapstone tiles. Soapstone tile surrounds the firebox and a soapstone slab for the hearth. The soapstone has been oiled in this photo, but we are letting it return the bluish gray color, like the vanity top.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Great little bathroom. Floors are very pretty. With the cabinet door, are you concerned about hitting the toilet bowl? I have a pullout the can hit my toilet bowl so I put one of those clear bumpers on the bowl. Not the best look, but in my case it is sort of hidden from the main view of the room.

Your soapstone turned out wonderful. I like how you were able to sculpt the front edge with the cabinet, and of course the backsplash is very cute. I have worked with soapstone too, and am now on my 3rd project (kitchen, bathroom, & now BR #2).

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the only concern with the vanity door is that it would be more convenient if you've run out of TP to open the door and grab a new roll without having to get up.;-)

On sculpting the front edge of the counter, I rough cut it using a jig saw and then used my router to give the finished edge. I also used the router to round over the top edge on the sides and front. The sink cutout was also done with the jig saw. A diamond grit hole saw got the sink cutout started and did the holes for the faucet. It was slow going with the jig saw, but the rest went much easier.

I like how your kitchen counters turned out. We had already decided to do granite in our kitchen before we got on to soapstone. The fireplace project was our first exposure to it. We may do soapstone in the master bath whenever we are ready to tackle that reno (not any time real soon).

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hi again, I am doing a small hi-jacking of your thread, I hope you don't mind. Since this is about soapstone I have to :) I want show you my sink and counters I did for my bathroom last year. I may have done this before on another of your threads but I can't remember. I am like a proud mother. My DH helped me do the glue up and clamping of the sink but all the cutting and planning I did. He also helped me do some heavy lifting :) I didn't do any routing of edges like you did, all mine were more of a hand finish, as this stone is very soft and workable. I had a cabinet maker make the base to my design.

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No problem. That turned out very nice. I especially like the shape that you gave to the backsplash.

Maybe others will get some inspiration from our DIY soapstone projects and try it themselves. It is so much more satisfying than paying some fabricator.

Whenever we get around to doing our master bath, I am thinking of actually building the cabinet boxes. I have all of the tools already. I just need to study up on cabinet making. Soapstone will likely make it in there somewhere. Maybe the flooring (over in floor heating), the shower pan, or possibly the counters.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

What a lovely bathroom and what a talented person you are! Your counter, backsplash, and the fp soapstone look terrific! Kudos!

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link to that thread. That was a great read.

Though, I love our kitchen granite, we probably could have saved a bunch of money DIYing soapstone counters. No shipping charges for us, as we have both Dorado and M Tex. not too far away from us (Denver area).

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

We are going with soapstone as well. I had it in a small apt. I rented a few years ago and I just loved it. We are DIYers and I am so encouraged by everyone's results that I think I will try it. I'm a little concerned about the tub deck as I would like to have it undermounted but I have time to figure out how to do it and practice on a sample. Thanks for sharing the information!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Oh gpraceman, I bet you can get remnants there and save a bit of $ :) You are very lucky.

I used remnants on my bathroom, at $5/sf. There are some seams where it would look better without, but I don't notice. The next project (current sink build) is a much harder stone and, again $5/sf, is a remnant. This time I will have a stone place template me a marble counter to go with the SS sink.

You'll have fun Lotteryticket

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can get remnants, but they didn't seem too cheap to me ($150 for the vanity top and $120 for the hearth). I went straight to Dorado and M Tex. They wanted a bit less than a local fabricator. M Tex. was the lowest. The hearth was from a piece that wasn't wide enough for them to use it as a counter. They did cut the remnants to the size that I needed, however, as they came from bigger pieces than I needed.

• Grace76
    10 years ago

Very nice bathroom! My son is looking for a small vanity . Could you please tell me the full depth of the cabinet including the vanity top? Also the name of the vanity model at Home Depot? Thanks so much! Great job!

• Grace76
    10 years ago

Very nice bathroom! My son is looking for a small vanity . Could you please tell me the full depth of the cabinet including the vanity top? Also the name of the vanity model at Home Depot? Thanks so much! Great job!

• Grace76
    10 years ago

• gpraceman55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is a Pegasus Manchester 25 in. Vanity. See the link below.

With the counter, it is 25" wide by 22" deep.

Keep in mind that it comes with a black granite top, with white undermount sink. It does also come with different knobs. We changed those out for brushed nickel ones to coordinate with faucet and other fixtures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pegasus Manchester 25 in. Vanity

This post was edited by gpraceman on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 17:50

• Grace76
    10 years ago

gpraceman,

Thanks for getting back and sharing your info. on the vanity. I will pass this link along to him as I know he will also be interested in the beautiful soapstone vanity top you made.
    Grace76

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Wonderful work. It's beautiful- especially the backsplash!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH