Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Update on My Post Re: Drywall, Plaster, & Ceiling Hole

enduring
11 years ago

I posted a question a week or so ago about my ceiling and dry wall. I also had a rather large hole that needed fixing. It was where the old cast iron vent stack went. Well I am almost finished with the fix and thought I would post my progress and my procedure:

Update:

I used a plastic screen type lath, fastened up into the plaster with drywall screws. I couldn't reach one edge so I wedged in a 1x.5" piece of wood lath at one end and overlayed the plastic lath, and I think the screws are pegging the plastic screening in place :) I would have used several pieces of wood lath and screwed them in place but I couldn't get the pieces above the ceiling plaster. And all this insulation crap was falling out onto my head :(

There was a lot of technique getting that piece of plastic screening up there!

{{gwi:1472625}}

Then I took Easysand 20 and filled the screening, it was ugly:

{{gwi:1472626}}

After it dried for several days I took my "California Patch" and slathered a bunch more Easysand 20 on it and wedged it in place. It stayed! It is drying now. As I was trimming away some of the extra Easysand I inadvertently scrapped away some of the sheetrock paper, not the full thickness though. It will need to be gone over with another thin coat of mud, either Easysand or my pre mixed green lidded joint compound. It will need to dry for a long time:

{{gwi:1472627}}

I also took the Easysand 20 and filled the gap along the entire ceiling periphery. After several hours, I took my 5-in-1 tool and shaved it flush with the existing plaster ceiling and made sure everything looked square. The product was still damp and easily shaved.

When all of this dries I will tape up the corners and ceiling junctions using the green lid premix joint compound and a webbed, creased, tape I found. It was sort of expensive, but I only have right angles on this job and I figured it would help make the angles cleaner.

Thanks for everyones input. It was very helpful. Now I just hope this works out ok as I have some thick layers up there.

Comments (8)

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will post now to get this thread to drop:)

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Looking good!

Fun playing in the mud huh?

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Barbcollins, thanks, it is slow going for me. I will do one little thing on the room then call it a day. I am working too so when I get home in the evenings I find it very hard to get going. Sometimes I just stare at the room for a while then walk away.

I will get it done:)

• sochi
    11 years ago

Good for you! And you're right, it will be done. No point hurrying and being exhausted all the time. I'm very impressed though!

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will post a finished picture when I get the walls and ceiling done...when?
    ...I hope by next week :)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Nice work- very inventive. That's a horrible spot to have to work on- your neck must be killing you. Wear goggles.
    Renee

• enduring
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yesterday and Saturday I worked on the taping for my ceiling and corners. The big hole patch was incorporated into the corner taping. Here are some pictures after the tape and one coat of joint compound. That joint compound is easy and hard to work with at the same time. Easy to get into the pan and on the wall, but hard to get it smooth and even:) It's kind of fun and frustrating at the same time-like life ;)

I used a tape that is meant for edges. It is a webbed product called Strait-Flex. It was the "medium" grade. It was expensive. It is thicker than paper and I think that is a problem for me. I thought it would make it easier being more ridged and straight. There were areas where the edge would want to bow out and not lay flat. That was a problem. When it dried I had to cut these 1" sections out, at the edges where it raised up from the surface. There were 2 or 3 of these. I tried some paper tape in an area and that was easier and smoother. I just added this detail for GW info. Maybe someone else has had better luck than I with this product.

Here is a faraway shot. Old plaster ceiling and wall to the left with new drywall on the right wall. I only taped the drywall to the plaster. I did not add any tape to the patch along the plaster wall:
    {{gwi:1472628}}

And a closeup, again old plaster ceiling and wall to the left with new drywall on the right:
    {{gwi:1472629}}

Now I have to put a second coat on the area. These right angle areas are hard. from far away it looks even but closeup there are irregularities. This is the first time I've drywalled.

Any tips for right angles?

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

enduring - Hey it's looking good, and great for a first time drywall job.

Yes, I used Straight-Flex before and did not like it. Had similar issues getting it to lay flat. That's when I tried the "No Coat". Works much better and give perfect corners.

Another coat or two and you will e ready to paint!