Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My 70's bathroom makeover

Posted by sunnylund (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 15:57

Hello. I am getting absolute black granite vanity top next week (same as my kitchen) and any input will be very much appreciated. My wall soap dishes are too closed to the counter top so I am getting 3.75" backsplash (instead of 4") .However, I like to get rid of soap dishes and put some accent tile. the size of soap dishes are 4.7" and they are not standard tile size. Any idea? By the way, my bathroom vanity is actually kitchen cabinet, I believe (24" depth).
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My 70's bathroom makeover

I think they make tiles that are 4.25 inches or so, which would be about right including the grout.

I'm sure one of the tile guys would have a better or more definitive answer, but at least you can look for tiles that size in the meantime.

o

You are leaving the yellow tile? If you can't find matching tile or a coordinating decorative tile to use, I would look for a taller mirror and hang it so it covers the holes. I think unless you use a whole row or two of different tile that just two in those spots is going to look odd. You could space several of them the whole length of the vanity, or find a mosaic glass tile with yellow and black to try to tie it all together and put a few rows of that the whole length of the vanity. Or even take out the tile above the backsplash and use all granite to the mirror.

But that's all going to look like a hodgepodge. I think your best bet is a bigger mirror.

o

I can't tell how far you want to go with this - beyond the vanity? Gray is a color that goes well with your shade of yellow, so is there any chance you can change the floor and paint the walls? Painting the vanity could also help.

Here's a picture from a website featuring lots of colored bathrooms:

Here is a link that might be useful: Color!

o

Thank you all. I am just hoping that the backsplash fits under soap dishes well.
I thought about many options including some accent tile or a bigger mirror (mirror sounds good but tile is and drywall not even so it will not be pretty. I wish I just rip off tiles and replacing all but that's not easy as well.
Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here