Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which CBU is Best for Shower and Why?

Posted by enduring (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 15:53

Hello, I have decided that I want someone else to do my drywall in my bathroom remodel instead of us. DH agrees. So I had the guy out from an outfit nearby. I will have them hang the CBU as well as the drywall. I told them I will tape the CBU with fiberglass tape and thinset. I forgot to ask which brand of CBU they use. In the shower I will use Hydroban over the CBU and tile to the ceiling but not including the ceiling. I have used Hardibacker in my other BR.

Questions:
1) Which CBU is best for the shower area?
2) Are there types that I absolutely don't want to have used?
3) What installation differences are there between the types of CBU?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which CBU is Best for Shower and Why?

I use Durock.

Because Mongo says. :-)

o

Thanks Weedy, I thought he might have said that on a thread I read very long ago. I will be talking to the contractor today. Since I have done a lot of the previous bathroom myself, I forget how to communicate with someone outside my head. I can read my mind but I forget that others can't.

o

I always knew weedy was brilliant. lol

I do indeed prefer a true cement board; Durock or wonderboard. Of the two I find Durock a little easier to use.

Hardie is very handy, but in general it is an interior-only use board and its fibrous makeup can make it thirsty to the point where DIYers have difficulty with it. Adhesion or strength-of-bond issues can crop up. The thing I do like about it is that it's not as fragile as cement boards; cutting it in strips, etc. So it has pros and cons.

All of the gypsum core boards designed as tile backer boards in wet areas? I generally avoid those. A board fails in the real world. So its gypsum core or paper covering gets reformulated and it's introduced to the market as the latest-greatest. Until 5-15 years later it starts to fail. So its gypsum core or paper covering again gets reformulated and it's introduced to the market as the newest-latest-greatest. Until 5-15 years later it starts to fail. And so on.,,and so on.

Over the past 15 years, some fo the products have only been on the market 3 or 4 years before they were pulled by the manufacturer. But homeowners who installed them behind their tile? The product may come across as being fine, but and cut edges or poorly detailed fastener holes? Weak points that can lead to failure.

Good ole cement boards like Durock and Wonderboard? They've been around the block a few times.

o

Talked to Phil today and asked him what cement board they use. He answered "Durock". So I'm fine with that, cause Weedy and Mongo said :) Thanks Mongo for the information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here