Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tile "cliff" - not right by anyone's standards

Posted by robin11034 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 15:35

Hello once again!

I've been reading the archives hoping to find a similar situation which would then indicate that this tile that sticks out (and the one above it) is the norm. Is it a case of "that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes" and "we'll just have to live with it"?

These tiles stick out between an eighth and a quarter of an inch. The tile on the right is a bullnose tile at the edge of the shower and this is right at eye level. This will annoy the crap out of me every time I get in the shower.

Dh plans on talking with the tile guy, but we want to know what you all think so we are at least a little informed.

Thanks!
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tile "cliff" - not right by anyone's standards

I think it looks like crap and needs to be fixed. Sorry if that is too blunt! I'd also worry about water damage since it appears the one tile is essentially pushed out almost the whole depth of the tile. That's a do-over.

o

Isn't 1/16th of an inch the allowable lippage? Sorry, forgot to mention that in first post. I think that is the term you need to look for when googling and preparing to speak with your tile guy. Some of the tile folks will certainly have better info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on lippage

o

For square edged tile, even 1/16 would be extreme. That would be about the most that I'd consider letting go, ONLY of it weren't anywhere near eye level. What you have there needs to be redone.

o

I'd also worry about water damage since it appears the one tile is essentially pushed out almost the whole depth of the tile.

Uneven tiles have nothing to do with waterproofing. The waterproofing is done under the tile, since both tile and grout can allow water to get past them.
But that much lippage is unacceptable.

o

I believe we have a solution. He is going to build up under the tiles near that edge. He used the Schlueter system under the tiles as the water barrier. It sounded very reasonable to me from what he explained and the very little I read about it and definitely better than what was there before.

Thanks!
Robin

o

GOod deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here