Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corian for bathroom sink and counter

Posted by myrtle_59 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 15:26

I am remodeling a small master bath. I am considering a corian banjo counter and with a corian sink as well. Is this material durable and easy maintenance?

Would I have to worry about nail polish remover, hot curling iron or other things touching it. I want an easy care, easy clean and long lasting material.

Other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corian for bathroom sink and counter

I don't have a corian bathroom counter, but I do have a lot of corian in my kitchen. I've had it about 2 years and am very very happy with it. That being said, I don't think it would stand up to hot curling irons or acetone spills.

As for cleaning and maintenance, superbly easy. I use greenworks and a paper or cloth towel to clean, followed by a plain water rinse to remove all the greenworks cleaner. No drying necessary and spots don't show on Pepper Ivory and Maui colors.

My daughter had a rental house with an integral white corian sink that was very hard to clean and had a lot of scratches. But I think that was abuse by years of renters using it. Even so, I would not consider an integral corian sink.

Corian's been around a long time but has fallen from favor I guess. I never could find a granite I liked, I wanted something with a lot of history (not some brand new product untested over time), and I've been very happy with corian in my kitchen.

o

Thanks, Diane. That is useful. I may go for the corian counter and a porceline undermount sink.

o

I put Corian in my powder room about 7 years ago. It's a medium cream/taupe/brown/black with an integrated biscuit-colored sink. It has held up very well under fairly light usage. (It hasn't been regularly subjected to curling irons, acetone, etc.) One thing that I have particularly liked IS the integrated sink. It looks the same as on Day 1. I typically use Soft Scrub on the counter and sink.

I don't care for the look of Corian as much anymore but that's just my personal taste. I put granite in my master bath and will be putting quartz in our son's/guest bath. As I recall, GW poster AnnieDeighnaugh is very happy with her decision to put Corian and an integrated sink in her bathroom.

o

And, I believe one of the selling points of Corian is that is can be "refinished" I don't know if anyone ever does that, but it is supposed to be popular with rentals because of that.

o

We have a Corian counter with integrated sinks in our hall bath. It is not heavily used, but has been easy to clean and maintain, especially the integrated sinks. I'm very happy with it. I am not a big fan of granite, and I think the Corian provides a simple, warm look. I would definitely make the same choice again.

o

Have Corian countertops in kitchen with integrated white sink for 15 plus years. I am far from an immaculate housekeeper, but with what I consider just average cleaning, still looks brand new.I really like the lack of seams
or grout between countertop and sink - makes cleaning up a breeze.
Counters still look great too- have avoided putting anything hot directly
on counters or in sink.

o

We purposely chose corian for our bath as it is softer and warmer than granite. We used it on our shower surround and on the seat in the shower. The shower seat is so much warmer than granite. And the integrated sinks are wonderful...no seams to catch crap. The stuff is very durable and has stood up to nail polish remover, but no idea how it handles hot curling irons....it did ok with mine, but I never put them down directly on the corian.

We lucked out in that the corian matches perfectly with the marble decorative tile we used in the shower and in the flooring.

o

I agree. I have corian in two bathrooms. With two daughters growing up, make-up, powder, hair products were flying! Wipe it down, done.
OT Annie, I am curious about the color of your corian.

o

ellendi, it's called Egyptian copper.

o

Thanks everyone!

o

Annie,

We are considering white corian walls ( perhaps routed to look like tile) with glass inlay. Do you think this would make cleaning more difficult? Is your shower floor also corian? Does that clean easily?

Thanks

o

Annie,

We are considering white corian walls ( perhaps routed to look like tile) with glass inlay. Do you think this would make cleaning more difficult? Is your shower floor also corian? Does that clean easily?

Thanks

o

I have porcelain tile on my shower floor and walls. I wouldnt want to rout corian as it undoes the whole purpose of being easy to clean.

o

I have corian countertops in my bath. I chose it because I have corian in my kitchen, and when thst countertop was a day old, DS put a wet cast iron pot on the countertop. The only reason he is not my late DS is the corian. I buffed out the rust stain using the purple 3M scouring pad, the countertop looked good as new, and has continued to look good as new for 21 years.
Another great thing about the corian countertop is that there is no seam between countertop and splashback, just a continuous curve, so it's easy to keep clean.

o

suero and annie,
thanks for the posts. Just wondering what you would think of routed corian ( look like tile) as a shower surround

o

I think that Corian is a great choice for the bathroom countertops and sink. They are super low maintenance and the seamless lines of the molded sink are easy to clean. If you are looking for materials for really great prices, check out: http://solidsurface.com

o

My name is Andy and have been fabricating solid surface in Southern California for 25 years.

Solid surface will burn if a hot curling iron is placed directly on the material and left for a period of time.

That said, we as fabricators don't have many calls about a burned Corian countertop in the bathroom.

Nail polish remover with Acetone will technically make a mark on the Corian if left long enough. If you spill and wipe off there will be no effect. We actually use acetone to clean parts before gluing together in the shop. Corian is not effected by contact, but by prolonged, continuous contact.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Olive Mill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here