Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Corian for bathroom sink and counter

myrtle_59
11 years ago

I am remodeling a small master bath. I am considering a corian banjo counter and with a corian sink as well. Is this material durable and easy maintenance?

Would I have to worry about nail polish remover, hot curling iron or other things touching it. I want an easy care, easy clean and long lasting material.

Other suggestions?

Comments (17)

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Diane. That is useful. I may go for the corian counter and a porceline undermount sink.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I put Corian in my powder room about 7 years ago. It's a medium cream/taupe/brown/black with an integrated biscuit-colored sink. It has held up very well under fairly light usage. (It hasn't been regularly subjected to curling irons, acetone, etc.) One thing that I have particularly liked IS the integrated sink. It looks the same as on Day 1. I typically use Soft Scrub on the counter and sink.

I don't care for the look of Corian as much anymore but that's just my personal taste. I put granite in my master bath and will be putting quartz in our son's/guest bath. As I recall, GW poster AnnieDeighnaugh is very happy with her decision to put Corian and an integrated sink in her bathroom.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

And, I believe one of the selling points of Corian is that is can be "refinished" I don't know if anyone ever does that, but it is supposed to be popular with rentals because of that.

• sas95
    11 years ago

We have a Corian counter with integrated sinks in our hall bath. It is not heavily used, but has been easy to clean and maintain, especially the integrated sinks. I'm very happy with it. I am not a big fan of granite, and I think the Corian provides a simple, warm look. I would definitely make the same choice again.

• duvetcover
    11 years ago

Have Corian countertops in kitchen with integrated white sink for 15 plus years. I am far from an immaculate housekeeper, but with what I consider just average cleaning, still looks brand new.I really like the lack of seams
    or grout between countertop and sink - makes cleaning up a breeze.
    Counters still look great too- have avoided putting anything hot directly
    on counters or in sink.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We purposely chose corian for our bath as it is softer and warmer than granite. We used it on our shower surround and on the seat in the shower. The shower seat is so much warmer than granite. And the integrated sinks are wonderful...no seams to catch crap. The stuff is very durable and has stood up to nail polish remover, but no idea how it handles hot curling irons....it did ok with mine, but I never put them down directly on the corian.

We lucked out in that the corian matches perfectly with the marble decorative tile we used in the shower and in the flooring.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I agree. I have corian in two bathrooms. With two daughters growing up, make-up, powder, hair products were flying! Wipe it down, done.
    OT Annie, I am curious about the color of your corian.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

ellendi, it's called Egyptian copper.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• sandimccarron
    11 years ago

Annie,

We are considering white corian walls ( perhaps routed to look like tile) with glass inlay. Do you think this would make cleaning more difficult? Is your shower floor also corian? Does that clean easily?

Thanks

• sandimccarron
    11 years ago

Annie,

We are considering white corian walls ( perhaps routed to look like tile) with glass inlay. Do you think this would make cleaning more difficult? Is your shower floor also corian? Does that clean easily?

Thanks

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I have porcelain tile on my shower floor and walls. I wouldnt want to rout corian as it undoes the whole purpose of being easy to clean.

• suero
    11 years ago

I have corian countertops in my bath. I chose it because I have corian in my kitchen, and when thst countertop was a day old, DS put a wet cast iron pot on the countertop. The only reason he is not my late DS is the corian. I buffed out the rust stain using the purple 3M scouring pad, the countertop looked good as new, and has continued to look good as new for 21 years.
    Another great thing about the corian countertop is that there is no seam between countertop and splashback, just a continuous curve, so it's easy to keep clean.

• sandimccarron
    11 years ago

suero and annie,
    thanks for the posts. Just wondering what you would think of routed corian ( look like tile) as a shower surround

• charlottegirl
    11 years ago

I think that Corian is a great choice for the bathroom countertops and sink. They are super low maintenance and the seamless lines of the molded sink are easy to clean. If you are looking for materials for really great prices, check out: http://solidsurface.com

• PRO
    Olive Mill
    11 years ago

My name is Andy and have been fabricating solid surface in Southern California for 25 years.

Solid surface will burn if a hot curling iron is placed directly on the material and left for a period of time.

That said, we as fabricators don't have many calls about a burned Corian countertop in the bathroom.

Nail polish remover with Acetone will technically make a mark on the Corian if left long enough. If you spill and wipe off there will be no effect. We actually use acetone to clean parts before gluing together in the shop. Corian is not effected by contact, but by prolonged, continuous contact.

Hope that helps,

Andy
    Olive Mill