Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rareindigo

Cultured Marble Countertop - A Good Choice or Not?

Rareindigo
11 years ago

Have an old dresser which I'm going to convert to a bathroom vanity. Found a victorian style vanity top (with integrated sink) in cultured marble for under $50.00. Is this a good choice for a countertop? Has anyone had problems/regrets with using cultured marble?

Comments (7)

• memo3
    11 years ago

It's a GREAT price and I love the style. I've had three cultured marble tops/sinks in the past in different homes. They will stain and scratch eventually. I'd say it would depend on how well you take care of your sink as to how long it would keep looking good. The sinks I had installed still looked great after several years of use but I'm now living in a home that has one and it is terribly stained. This used to be a rental house so who knows what they put the sink through. I have to replace it. Would you mind sharing WHERE you are getting this sink from? I've looked and looked for something vintage looking (not wanting a pedestal)and still haven't seen anything. I'd love to look into the vanity top you've posted!!

• myrtle_59
    11 years ago

I have had it for 20 + years. They are easy to keep clean. Only negative was that eventually - maybe 15 years - they get little hairline cracks around tha drain and need replaced.

• myrtle_59
    11 years ago

I have had it for 20 + years. They are easy to keep clean. Only negative was that eventually - maybe 15 years - they get little hairline cracks around tha drain and need replaced.

• Rareindigo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Memo - I'm in Canada. The countertop is at Rona. Its not available to order on line, you have to purchase at the store. The 31" x 19" is $119.00 and the 37" x 19" is $47.25.

• beeps
    11 years ago

That's a pretty top. Cultured marble is sort of the standard builder's choice of countertop. It isn't finicky like marble. I have them in this house and they are nearly 15 years old with no staining. I did manage to chip the ogee edge by hitting it with the hair-dryer. Still, in general they are pretty indestructible. And that price is crazy cheap for a very pretty top.

• memo3
    11 years ago

Rareindigo, Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's disappointing that the Rona stores do not sell online. I'm a days drive away from the nearest location and I would need a size closer to 18"x24". It's nice to dream though and I'll have to get used to moving forward with a new but "plain" cultured marble sink/vanity top,lo!. Thanks, MeMo

• Janieful
    11 years ago

We just put cultured marble in our bathroom and love it. I really like not have a caulk line between the top and backsplash. I always hated cleaning that. Cultured marble is the easiest to clean, although it is true that it scratches.

As far as staining, we used a black cultured marble top with a white sink. But I don't imagine you could do such a thing in a vintage bathroom.