Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bishop8_gw

BainUltra review

bishop8
12 years ago

I was going to add to another thread where I had posted some comments on our pending BainUltra installation, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, now that it's up-and-running, I thought I would put my thoughts out in case this helps anyone in the purchasing phase. We purchased a BainUltra Elegancia 6636.

- Nice quality tub. A dealer once mentioned that they effectively sandwich the air tubes between two acrylic shells so the tubes don't dangle, whereas other manufactuers do not. Looking at it, it's a very solid shell and I can see what he meant. Makes for easier installation.

- Great service. When removing the protective film, I noticed a small (1-2mm) chip on the outside rim (quite frankly, my installer could've caused it, I don't know). I wrote an email on late Friday night asking for an acrylic patch kit so I could just fill it in myself. By Sunday night, a CSR wrote back arranging a service call by an acrylic technician to fix it for me. Wow!

- Note -- When I got the tub, the controller wasn't installed. I guess this is for some people who want to install it on the wall instead of the tub deck itself. It caused my plumber some concern cutting into the deck (I absolved him of the liability), but for those still to order maybe you can ask the dealer for them to pre-mount the controls and save yourself a bit of work. Just make sure you know where you want it to go!

- Experience was cool, with caveats. Kids, wife and I certainly enjoyed the tub (not at the same time). Kids thought it was the coolest experience, and certainly beat our previous old 5' standard tub.

-- We got the LEDs which I accept is overpriced, but in terms of total experience it added that extra 'cool' dimension with the lights out. I still think it's worth it.

-- We got the 66" length. In retrospect, I wish we got the 72" (I'm 5'10", wife 5'8"). You *can* do two (easier when you're both facing the same direction), but it's a bit cramped and the extra length would've been nice. My only solace is that with kids it's more likely that the bathing will be solo, and we use less water with a smaller tub.

-- Bubble jets are on the side. I think it would've been better if the jets were on the floor, so it doesn't feel like the action is all on the periphery.

-- I read this before, but didn't pay too much mind to it until now. The bubbles really do make the tub cool down fast, to the point where it actually feels like it's injecting cold water into the tub after 15min. I should take a look in the forums to see if there are any solutions, like adding a heater to the air pump or something. I barely notice the heated backrest, even at full.

This is definitely a quality product and I don't regret getting the tub, but I did previously look at the Toto Clayton (which was half the price and had floor-mounted jets) and I wonder what I would do now if I had to do it over again.

Good luck with your purchase!

Comments (64)

• rtwill
    7 years ago

I would do the shower. My Bain Ultra tub broke and now its just a big soaker tub with holes for mold and mildew to accumulate. Terrible customer support with them as well.

• Eric
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's funny rtwill, in my research for bain ultra tubs I have seen your comments word for word on different forums , and it's funny that you only seem to comment on Bain ultra threads, I have called Bain several times with excellent results and I can't tell you how many comments are on here that back up that statement . Maybe you should get a life and go enjoy your new soaker tub apparently . For those who don't believe me just search his name on google and on gardenweb, all you will find is bain bashing . As an electrician I see a lot of renovations and Bain is the most popular tub I see and I always make it a point to ask the customer how they like the tub and the answer is always positive .

• rtwill
    7 years ago

Also funny to see that you created an account to respond to my experience with Bain. As an electrician you are setting up the wiring for these tubs and are likely not familiar with product performance and warranty support. Consumers need to remember that this is a Canadian company based in Quebec so you're dealing with international risks. They do not have a Better Business Bureau or attorney general to deal with to get help -- my product died in the warranty period and they refused to assist. This is a small privately held company based in Canada -- best to buy from companies based in the USA with a manufacturer that stands behind their product. Buyer beware!

• Eric
    7 years ago
    Actually I've been a long time lurker but since gardenweb was bought by houzz I've had trouble logging in , and when I saw another one of your comments I'd had enough. Yes I am an electrician but I've been in business for 20 years and I don't need any help from comments I make on forums , just nearly stating that I have had the luxury of working on many homes in my time and I get to get real life feed back and see what people are installing and all the latest trends first hand .
  • Eric
    7 years ago
    Actually I am very educated with Bain because I have one and that's how I kept seeing your post online as I was doing my research , and also can read schematics as to how the tub works , not sure what your credentials are besides being some kohler troll .
  • rtwill
    7 years ago

Bottom line here is that if you have an issue, don't expect any after sales support.

• elaynemt
    7 years ago
    Are you suggesting that Canadian products do not have good quality or support? Not my experience at all and as a Canadian, I find that offensive.
  • ninja24
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We have decided to do large shower and separate toilet, only because it works best for our space. Once the walls were out it felt like we were trying to force something that was not meant to be. I did a ton of research on BainUltra and I am sad that I will not be able to have one in my home. 99.9% of the feedback I have read has been complimentary to both the product and the company. rtwill- I am sorry that your experience was bad. I know how disappointing that would be after going through a process such as a renovation and having an outcome be less than satisfactory. Happy Holidays everyone. Thanks for all of the feedback!

• sharron08
    5 years ago
    Hi! I wanted to refresh this conversation to see if anyone else has some recent feedback about Bain Ultra. I’m looking at the large Amma tub with two heated backrests and wonder if anyone can share their experience. Thanks
  • rtwill
    5 years ago

Bain Ultra does not care about their customers. My issue is still not resolved and the company would not honor their warranty.

• sharron08
    5 years ago
    Rtwill

Yikes! Thanks for sharing your experience. What did you end up doing with your tub?
  • rtwill
    5 years ago
    Still doesn’t work so now just using it as an overpriced soaker tub without any jets. Not worth the money for the quality.
  • sharron08
    5 years ago
    Rtwill, so sorry to hear that. Thanks for the feedback.
  • elizabeth krafick
    5 years ago
    Just put this in our master bathroom renovation
    can't wait to use it!
  • sharron08
    5 years ago
    Elizabeth, looks beautiful! What features does it have? Keep us posted on how you like it once you use it.
  • leeanneruff
    5 years ago

That's beautiful Elizabeth! What is the make and model number so I can look it up. I am just starting my research into freestanding bathtubs for our remodel.

• l w
    4 years ago

If you do not use a tub regularly, it's best NOT to get one that is jetted (whether Bain or other). After much research, I now understand that a jetted or air tub has to be used regularly so that the bacteria in water in the jets is controlled by regular drying out. Otherwise you get the dreaded black flakes in your bath (just google: Why are there black flakes in the water in my jetted tub?). We are now looking into ways of plugging up all the tiny holes in our beautiful Bain (which is probably going to mean refinishing it), so that we can take a bath whenever we feel like it, even if it has been three months since the last bath.

• elaynemt
    4 years ago

My question to you, somewhat in regards to the lights and room lights off, do you not find it so loud that it kind of ruins the relaxation part?

• Danielle Schreiber
    3 years ago

l w did you find a way to plug in all the tiny holes??

• l w
    3 years ago

Yes, we did!

For owners who want to get rid of the jets in their bain-ultra bath because they do not use the bath often and do not want to clean the bath by that lengthy method whenever they do use it:

Buy PUSH IN PLUGS, size 1/8 of an inch, from NON-FERROUS FASTENER INC in Chino, California. Buy enough of them to plug into each hole in your bath - we bought 60 and still have extras.

Buy KWIK SEAL ULTRA Advanced Siliconized Sealant by DAP. or something similar.

Put some sealant in each hole, then press the plug in firmly, then add more sealant to be sure the plug is covered. Clean and smooth around the plug.

Repeat for each hole. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Remember to disconnect wiring or block controls.

Bath can now be enjoyed.

LW

• Art Brazee
    3 years ago

I have dealt, as all of have, with many companies. I've also installed and built a LOT of complicated things - for many years. Bain was one of the worst companies I've done business with. I intended to install a Bain tub in a modern house with concrete floors and concrete walls. A extremely experienced master plumber and master electrician both evaluated all Bain's material (as did I - extensively) for rough in with the pumps and related located and roughed too. We spend a lot of time figuring it out as there is no second chance, so we left nothing to chance. When the tub came it was discovered there were multiple problems. Bain was called and they insisted the tub could be installed. They also insisted the instruction material we needed was on their website. It wasn't. We all had downloaded everything (I checked again) and the whole instruction manual was missing having been replaced for a very abbreviated version. The bottom line was that electrically the tub wire was not rated for conduit. It's actually impossible for the tub to be installed in concrete - it cannot be done. The tub also needed more conduit then was specified and we had already put in an extra conduit just in case. We went round and round with Bain and round and round with the electrical inspector. In the end, after spending thousands, meetings, and a huge amount of frustration, the tub was returned. The distributor took it back, but Bain refused a refund because they were two days out from the return period. Unbelievable. And after trying to work with them for two months or even longer. This was no one's fault but Bain's. I found Bain to be absolute lairs in several ways - the instructions material missing on their web site, the fact they said the tub could be installed in concrete (the code is really clear that unrated wire cannot go in conduit - period), and their own information about their product. It's extremely difficult to understand how a company could spend the money to get a product UL listed and not understand the limits of that listing. There is a serious technical disconnect within Bain. Why would their literature not say, "This tub cannot be installed on a concrete slab"? Further, a good company, a quality company, would change all of their material to reflect what they learned - nope, Bain hasn't. That's telling...

• rtwill
    3 years ago

Bain is horrendous. Buy American.

• rtwill
    3 years ago

My issue wasn't with how the tub looks - my issue is they don't honor warranty claims and there is nothing you can do about it with consumer protection laws with them being in a different country.

• Patricia Pomerleau
    3 years ago

I registered for the warranty online and immediately received a personal email with terms and conditions and numbers to call if I had a problem. They provide warranty to soaking baths bought through their approved distributor list. Their warranty states: " Your Bain Ultra soaking bath is covered by the best warranty in the industry. Bain Ultra guarantees the acrylic and motor turbine of your bath for a twenty (20) year period from the original purchase date against defects in materials and workmanship" Yes, they are in a different (first world) country, but it is a long standing business and the company has a good reputation (outside of this thread) Most speak very highly of Bain Ultra. Clearly you are not happy with them and follow threads carefully for anyone speaking well of them. I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. For others: Here is the full warranty: Bain Ultra Limited Warranty

• l w
    3 years ago

As we hope and long to Make America Civil again, I'm writing to thank you, Patricia, for your courteous, patient, and carefully phrased comment.

• rtwill
    3 years ago

I had nothing but problems with my BainUltra jet tub. My tub would turn on randomly throughout the night, so I would be in bed and hear air rushing from the tub in the middle of the night. Within a year of installation the lights on the keypad stopped functioning. Tried getting a replacement part and they would not honor the warranty. Just because you register for a warranty on their website it doesn't meet they will follow the terms and conditions. If you have an issue with a US company you can take them to court or have the state attorney general fix your issue. Unfortunately across borders you'll just be out of luck.

• Alyson Angus
    3 years ago

rtwill, there is something very fishy about your answers and your years of obsession with Bain Ultra. My guess is you work for the competition.

• rtwill
    3 years ago

I'm just a pissed off consumer and they were complete jerks. Clearly they don't even care about my feedback or they would have tried to make it right. Would be happy if you or anyone else could step in to mediate with them to get my issue fixed.

• missykos
    3 years ago

Rtwill, it’s been at least ten years. Get over it.

Posted from my MUCH LOVED Bain Ultra bath tub. It was here when we bought the place and I would have NEVER shelled out the cash for one of these things - but now, after living with it for 3.5 years? I use it at least four times a week (usually more) and will invest in another if we ever move or remodel. This thing brings me peace.

• Kristie Lynn
    2 years ago

We just got the Amma tub a few weeks ago. Fantastic for my bad back and post exercise. Only problem is we have kicked the stopper by accident and lost the water. Looking for a solution

• Karen Mitchell
    last year

I have the Bain Ultra Evanescence. I waited 8 months for the delivery and installation and I'm honestly disappointed in the tub. As the previous posters have mentioned, the jets at any level above 10% are just too powerful and uncomfortable. The "Geysair" is a joke and not worth it at all. It does not 'warm' the air and you are getting cold air blown into your tub. Even the 'heated' back rest is not very heated. It uses hot water to 'warm' the back of the tub, but the massage jets have to be on (it won't just warm the tub back alone). You can feel a very modest 'warm' back, but it is hardly noticeable. I have the Chromatherapy option and will admit that I do like the changing colors.

• clubnev
    last year

We were ready to buy a Bain Ultra tub but the plumbing supply store saleswoman told me they've had alot of problems with them in the past year or two. Parts breaking after only a few months, etc. Bain has all the features I want in the size I want (60x42) but the last thing I need is a tub with problems after a few months. My old jetted tub, ugly as it is - the 80's fake plastic burgandy marble - that motor has only needed 1 repair in 30 years. Seems like nothing is made like it used to be. I'm also considering Jacuzzi, which is a similar price point, and Kohler. Not alot of companies make a 42" wide air tub in combo with a 60" length with an air tub. Any recommendations, let me know. Tub shopping reminds me of appliance shopping - as one appliance salesman told me - buy what you like with the features you want and don't worry much about brand - because none of them are made like they used to be and all will have problems sooner or later. Yikes.

• Bridget Quinn
    last year

I’m not very happy with my Bain Ultra- Mainly the incline of the back rest. It’s impossible to lie comfortably back. I was considering the Origami because it looked like more of a incline but the sales rep at Quality Bath said there wasn’t much of a difference. I now need to look into pillows which get mildewy. Super bummed, because this was the big splurge on my remodel.

• clubnev
    last year

Thanks for letting me know. I ended up ordering a Jason. Saw one in a showroom, sat in it, it felt comfortable and it has grab bars inside; I'm hoping I like it.

• HU-486874999
    last year

We put Bain Ultra in our new home 12 years ago. Worked good for a couple of years then the control panel stopped working. We had to buy a new one because they would not make it good. Now the LED lights on the control panel don’t work and to replace it will be another $500.00. I would not recommend Bain Ultra to anyone!!

• Wyatt Allen
    last year

I had some of the same issues as others here with their tubs keypads and motors failing and the company not standing behind their warranty. Wish I saw this post earlier and didn’t buy from an international company.

• HU-248650120
    9 months ago

i was convinced to use a Bain Ultra in our master bath remodel the tub arrived and even before removing it from the packaging it was clearly not well designed nor quality constructed.

Bain refused to take the tub back even though it was completely undisturbed and in the original packaging with the top of the box simply lifted off

the distributer said they would sell it to someone else and we would get our money back we will see

i would never consider working with this company based on this experience and clearly experiences after installaion have been much worse

• rtwill
    9 months ago

I feel your pain. Bain products are the worst.

• HU-248650120
    9 months ago

We were convinced to use a Bain Ultra in our master bath remodel but when the tub arrived it was a complete disapointment which was clear simply looking at how it was constructed without even removing it from the packaging. Bain would not take the tub in return even though it was still in the original packaging and undisturbed.

The distributer says he will resell it and return our money. We will see.

Based on this experience alone i would never consider working with this company.

Clearly the experiences are much worse after the installation. Thankfully i had the opportunity to inspect the tub before it was used.

• pinkysonpatki6
    16 days ago

Hi HU-248650120 - May I ask which tub you ended up going with and are you happy with it? I was just considering the Bain Ultra Opus for our primary suite and now I'm rethinking it but don't have a plan B. The slope of the back rest is important to me as I have a lot of lower back issues. Most of the tubs in showrooms here have aweful back support.

• clubnev
    16 days ago

Hello, I know you didn't direct this to me. I was going to buy a BAIN until I read about some of the problems and the vendor I was going to buy from was less than honest. That's not a reflection on BAIN. I ended up with a Jason Model EM530 that I bought from a different vendor. I think the size is 60x30. I couldn't be happier with it. It has built in grab bars and a rounded back making it comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Another feature I liked that I didn't realize when I bought it was that you can adjust the bubbles from full strength to just a trickle.. The lights, which weren't important to me at the time I bought it are pretty cool. It self cleans, I use it about once a week; so far no problems. The rounded back is wonderful. Also it has a place to rest your arms when you're laying back in it. Really nice design. Mine looks like the pic except my built in grab bars are white, matching the tub. It was important to me to get grab bars that were built in the tub rather than an add on.

• pinkysonpatki6
    16 days ago

Hi Clubnev. THANK YOU so much for your quick reply. I appreciate it. However, I need a tub that is at least 66 / 67" long with a longer bathing well length (47 / 48") as my husband and kids are taller. It's the only tub in the house so I want to make sure everyone can use it. I really do appreciate your reply though and will see if your brand makes any in the length i'm looking for. I like the features that your tub offers - especially the self cleaning which is important if I had air jets.

• Bridget Quinn
    16 days ago

I have the Bain de Ville alcove thermomasseur tub and it is the most uncomfortable thing ever. The purchasing experience was through Quality Bath and it was not great- I was never really sure what features I was getting and their communication about it was so vague. It does not keep the water warm like I had assumed it would. The incline is so steep there is no relaxing going on. Maybe some day I’ll have the means to replace it.

• pinkysonpatki6
    16 days ago

Oh my gosh. So sorry to hear that Bridget. That's why it's taking me SO long to buy a tub. Not many choices in my area and I'm hesitant to buy a tub I can't sit in first.

• clubnev
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Pinkyson, Jason makes longer and wider tubs with the rounded back. I wanted one longer but I didn’t have the room ”Jason” is supposedly the brother of Jacuzzi. In the pic I sent, note how the back is rounded. I went to alot of showrooms and sat in alot of tubs before I settled on that one. Good luck and post what you finally decide on.

• pinkysonpatki6
    14 days ago

Hi Clubnev, I called a couple of retailers in my area that supposedly sells Jason but they all told me that Jason went out of business. I can't seem to find anyone that sells it here in my area. I'm going to look at Oceania now. I don't see much out there about them unfortunately - not sure if that's good or bad.

• clubnev
    14 days ago

Interesting. Their website is still active. But things change all the time these days. I found looking for tubs similar to looking for appliances. Complaints about each brand everywhere. And plumbing supply houses push the product that gives them the biggest commission. They all have their “preferred brands”.

I took a chance with Jason but that was the only company that fit my criteria besides Bain. I wanted a more well known brand like Koehler. I was ready to buy Bain until the retailer was dishonest. Not with Bain but with my other plumbing orders.

Good luck. It’s a chore!

• Lauren
    yesterday

I am in search for a freestanding tub that has a wide basin bottom. I was hoping the bainultra nokori was the answer but the reviews here are not great. Anyone find one they love?

• pinkysonpatki6
    yesterday

Hi Lauren, BainUltra was what I thought I was getting as well but I'm looking elsewhere now based on reviews (and the fact that their customer service is atrocious). I can't get them to call at all or answer emails at all. If I find something, I'll let you know as I am also looking for a wide basin bottom, long basin length but ergonomic as well. What length tub are you looking for? Also are you ok with acrylic or are you searching for something like a resin/composite/stone? Good luck with your search.