Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Panasonic bath transmits rain sounds, takes a long time to clear

Posted by gildee (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 14:48

Panasonic fan replaced a 21-yr old Broan that vented into the attic. Our contractor vented the Panasonic with 6-inch ducting through the roof (a minor zig zag to get the vent to the rear roof), and now when it rains, its sound is thundering in the bath. Any suggestions on how to silence the fan area when it rains?

Also I was wondering if the zigzag path (90 degree turn coming from bath to attic floor joist, then 2 more 90 degree bends to get to roof) of the venting is not allowing the fan to fully exhaust our shower's moisture? I have held up a tissue to the fan when it's on and the tissue flutters, but doesn't seem to be sucked up against the fan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Panasonic bath transmits rain sounds, takes a long time to cl

Panasonic's site used to have a "flow calculator" where you entered the CFM you desired, and then entered the number of bends in the duct and the number of feet of straight duct in the entire run.

It'd then spit out the CFM of the fan you needed to install in order to get the CFM that you actually want in the bathroom.

Are you getting a metallic tinny type of noise in the bathroom from the roof vent? You might be able to deaden it by applying a sticky membrane (or several layers) to the underside of the vent's cap to add mass and knock down the acoustics of the cap. Something along the lines of a Grace peel and stick membrane. Really just a recommendation. I've never had to deal with an issue like that before.

o
RE: Panasonic bath transmits rain sounds, takes a long time to cl

I thought I did use the flow calculator before ordering the fan Panasonic FV-15VQ5 WhisperCeiling 150 CFM last November. Our MB is 100 about s.f. in an L-shape with an 8 ft. ceiling. Just didn't want to have to run it for an hour to get rid of dampness. Funny, in the winter, it feels like a gale force wind when I step out of the shower, so it is definitely doing a job.

Yes, the rain noise sounds as if rain was hitting metal, though I think our contractor used a plastic vent which runs into standard round ducting in the attic. So the solution will be something to act as a sound dampener placed as near to the source as possible? I will take a look tomorrow to see what is feasible. Thanks so much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here