Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Cast Iron What it Used to Be 30 Years Ago?

Posted by monicakm (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 14:33

When we built our home in 1981, we installed 3 Kohler cast iron sinks. One of them is still in use today (the one that's being ripped out asap!). They served us well. In 2002, I got another Kohler cast iron sink. The finish isn't wearing as well as the first cast iron kitchen sink. I'm considering the Kohler Bellwether tub because it's cast iron. Frankly, we were pleased with our Kohler enamel over steel tubs but they don't seem to have a very good reputation with this crowd. I have to think the quality has diminished because, again, our two enameled steel tubs from Kohler served us well. There is a small chip in DH's tub but it has never "grown" or developed rust.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Cast Iron What it Used to Be 30 Years Ago?

A salesperson at a local supply house gave me an opinion that they are not as good quality as in years past since they are mostly made overseas, maybe China. I was interested in the Bellwhether also but opted for acrylic so I wouldn't have to deal with the 325 lb. beast.

o
RE: Is Cast Iron What it Used to Be 30 Years Ago?

I got the Bellwether 60x30" it fits a standard alcove drain setup. I don't believe the original Bellwether will. The original B has a very short bottom and slanted front end and back end, while the 60x30 (newer version) only slants in the back. I have been very happy with mine. I have used it daily for a year without issue. I realize the question can only be answered in 20 or 30 years LOL. I have also installed a Kohler cat iron shower pan recently and I am very happy with this.

I would call Kohler and ask if all their tubs are made in the US. I just assumed they were made here. I linked a video from their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler cast iron video

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here