Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedee_gw

Lime or plaster finish for inside of shower

freedee
16 years ago

I've seen finishes that look like adobe on the walls of showers. Usually they are done with some kind of lime mixture. Has anyone done this? How has it worked out? Are they hard to clean?

Comments (13)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm doing a lime plaster finish in my bathroom called Marmormino. It's a venetian plaster with lime in the mixture which makes it suitable for damp areas. Prior to doing the marmorino finish you have to also paint the walls with quartz paint.

Would I use this in a shower? No, it's "ok" for damp areas, hence my use of it in the bathroom, but it's a breathing surface, and I can't see that I'd want something breathing up the damp in a shower LOL. You finish the wall with a paste wax or oil based wax, so you couldn't wash it with any of your standard bathroom cleaners.

For a standard application, lime plaster is very expensive. It also isn't a really easy finish to do well (you need to practice practice practice). And I can't find one recommended for "wet" areas myself, but perhaps in an industrial application area you might find one with enough grain size to work in a shower. I think tile would be cheaper frankly, and much easier to maintain.

In venice, where I first fell in love with plaster...I saw lots of it everywhere...but not IN the showers.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

That's pretty johnmari. Probably not remotely DIY lol (which in the world of plaster means way more expensive than the finest tile) but VERY pretty.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

No, none of those are really DIY-able without at least taking some classes and putting in a lot of practice time. But then, for the vast majority of the population, neither is regular plaster (as opposed to glopping joint compound around, a peeve of mine). Real plastering done right is an art form IMO, and skilled plasterers make it look so easy when it isn't! And yes, it is expensive, especially the Tadelakt simply because there are so few practitioners in this country. I imagine the pool-plaster method is probably the cheapest way to go.

• keelink
    16 years ago

do you have an idea of what the cost of tadelakt is per sq ft? and do you know what kind of substrate is needed to apply it?
    thanks.

• newhome123
    11 years ago

I am researching tadelakt right now and am waiting on some call backs now. Will post when I find out

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

We plastered a shower with izonil stucco/plaster, then painted it with lime paint. It breathes and dries out, but darkens when wet.
    Casey

• newhome123
    11 years ago

Do you have any pictures of your shower?

• tater_sw
    11 years ago

Interested as well in tadelakt. The only page I found with a price had "$35," so I assume that was per square foot. That's actually not that bad considering the price of some tiles, particularly moroccan tiles that run over $60/ft.

• HU-907638021
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Recently used Marmorino on shower floor, looks neat but seems to be taking in water after less than a week of use. Contractor gives no explanation on why this is happening... any ideas or fix?

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

looks like maybe you have A Wedi drain? if so microcement cannot be used on TOP of foam shower trays. In the event you have a foam tray under the cement .

start a new thread and share more process photos , if im correct about WEDI call them for tech support. FTR i like Wedi. :)

• HU-907638021
    3 years ago

Thanks for replying, will start a new thread. I don’t believe it’s Wedi or a foam base.

• Emily Keith
    last year

@newhome123 Did you end up doing Tadelakt?