Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercerm_gw

Slippery Bathtub - Help!

MercerM
10 years ago

I'm looking for a new 60 x 32 deep soaking acrylic alcove tub. All cast iron and acrylic tub bottoms seem to be VERY SLIPPERY. People say that even tubs that come with textured bottoms, integrated or factory-applied "anti-slip" gripping are very slippery.

I could, of course, use a bathmat but I've heard that a bathmat will not stick to so-called "anti-slip" surfaces. And I'm considering a tub that has this kind of surface, namely the Mirabelle Edenton alcove tub. All Jacuzzi and Kohler tubs also seem to come standard with this coating.

I'm concerned since my senior citizen mother will be using the tub. Any insight on these "anti-slip" surfaces? What do you do to prevent slipping? Any suggestions as to specific brands/models of 60 x 32 deep soaking alcove (integral flange) tubs that are not slippery or with which I could use a bath mat? It's been hard to find an alcove soaker that does not have a non-slip surface with which I could safely use a bath mat. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Nothing is going to be super attractive, but I have used these translucent treads from Amazon with great success. You just have to follow the alcohol prep process. I've yet to had one peel and have used them in 3 locations, for just the reason you mention -- senior cit mom. ;-) They come in a couple of different sizes, I think, but always get this size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Treads

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

After going ass over teakettle in a new hotel tub, I use the toweling bathmats in the tub now. You have to pick it up and hang it over something to dry, but a thick cotton rug-type mat is comfy, too.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

That's what I was going to say, Pharaoh. Bathtubs are terribly dangerous for elderly people - how do they get up and out of a bathtub - that is wet and slippery - and onto a solid, dry surface? Even if they have grab bars, that is a terribly dangerous thing to do. The only thing - many elderly people are only happy with a tub bath. So - what do you do for them?

• MercerM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nancy_in_mich, Do I understand you correctly? Do you mean you use the toweling bath mat INSIDE the tub when you shower? If so, how well does that work to prevent slipping?

I've only used a toweling bath mat on the floor outside the shower.

Thanks.

• lakeforestshu
    8 years ago

I have a slippery bath tub too. There are no surface treatment
    chemical or paint to sell in hardware store.

The tub becomes more and more slippery which makes me think
    it might be mildew which grows with time. After brushing the bathtub surface
    with Clorax, the problems is gone ! Easy, fast and save $$.

For best results, spray Colorax on surface and brush. Wait
    for 10 min, brush again.

• silken1
    8 years ago

I guess you could buy one of those walk in bath tubs but they are expensive. My mother in her senior's apartment would love to have one. Instead she has a bench in the tub and a hand held shower and does not get a bath anymore. But a good shower sure feels good too.

• Vith
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

White tub tread strips and multiple grab bars, especially near entry point. Non slip bath rug for where he/she exits. Possibly a shower chair for them to sit in during a shower.

• Jim Mat
    8 years ago

A ship's chandlery has a large supply of non slip surface treatments