Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

More and questions on recessed lights above mirror x sconce help.

jterrilynn
9 years ago

Hi all I could use your advice here. I have an alcove vanity area of roughly 78" long. There will be a 30" vanity on each end with a 24 x 36" mirror above each. The center area of run will have an 18" bank of drawers and a 12" d shallow countertop vertical storage with drawer going up in center of run, there will be roughly 3" on each side of mirrors. The vanities are 21" deep before tops. So I have ordered two of these sconces, one on each alcove wall for mirror lighting and plan on one or two recessed ceiling lights above each mirror. There will also be a center recessed light coming out further from wall in ceiling.

Sconce is a double 5"W 41/2" D 15" H. When mounted on alcove side wall it would protrude 1 1/2 inches into mirror.

Rough mockup not to scale but for visual lighting purpose.

QUESTIONS:
The room the vanity is in is 78 3/8" x 6' 2". Yes I know the lighting is not ideal but do you think it okay? Should I go with two recessed lights above each mirror? Would one be enough?

Also, I know little about recessed lighting, do some give off more lighting than others?

Comments (10)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

In your situation, I'd probably NOT hang the scones on the side walls. Rather, I'd skip the recessed lighting above the mirrors and instead install great lights above (I know side lighting is generally considered more flattering, but I don't think that applies when the light is coming from only one side). We have similar scones in two bathrooms. Both are George Kovacs LED (same in both bathrooms). In one bathroom, the alcove is about 55" and the vanity is 48" single centered sink. In that bathroom, we hung the lights vertically on both sides of a horizontal mirrow. In the other bathroom, the vanity (60", two sinks) abuts the left-hand wall. We put in a full-size mirror same width as the vanity, but didn't have the room to put the scones on the sides (the left sink is too close to the left wall for that). In that bathroom, we installed one light above each sink, horizontally, through the mirror. Its almost as good.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi sjhockeyfan, I'd like to figure out a way I can use the sconces that have two bulbs at 60w each on each light. So, that would be 120 watts of light off the side on each sconce. There must be a way somehow to get lighting from above in ceiling. I'm just not sure what to get. I did look into the low profile light bars but they are stupid expensive.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

you might find this link helpful. You could use fluorescent or led bulbs to reduce the amt of heat produced.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to light your bathroom right

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very helpful!!! Thanks Oly!

• gildee
    9 years ago

I used 4 similar sconces (Restoration Hardware Double Sutton) in my master and replaced the included incandescent light bulbs with round 40W LED bulbs because I was worried about heat and electricity usage. I'm very happy with the effect - cool, probably brighter though not as warm a glow. My contractor thought 3 sconces would have been enough, but I am happy with 4.

I put in 2 75W LED can lights over the vanity, which though bright, cast facial shadows since they were located too far from the wall (10" vs. 4"- 6") - look a little ghoulish at 60+ years of age. We had above mirror makeup lights which I loved, so I would recommend horizontal above mirror lights for your situation.

My RH medicine cabinets have 2 halogen lights, so sometimes I use just them to put on makeup, and they do run a little hot. I just don't put on makeup that often.

And there is 1 general LED can light with diffuser in the vanity area.

This post was edited by gildee on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 16:11

• xedos
    9 years ago

Two recessed lights above each sink is overkill , may not even be possible at that width and will create a hotspot on the sink and heavy shadows on your face.

A single 4" will be plenty to illuminate the bowl and faucet. I'd use a very narrow aperture trim also.

If it were mine , I'd make the mirrors narrower and add a second sconce on both sides of the counter standing unit. I'd also be looking for a narrower sconce as I think the scale of the one shown is a bit too heavy for a 30" sink base.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Gilee and Xedos, very helpful information (especially light bulbs :)!
    My Sutton sconces should be here any day so I will have a better visual. I did find a few online pictures where this same vertical light was hung horizontal. Still, as the online pictures that show a side view look fairly streamline IâÂÂm hoping I can get away with the alcove mount with a four inch recessed above each mirror. Aesthetically IâÂÂm hoping the alcove mounting will work as a balance in regards to the tall thin vertical center storage area. I will have to do some trade-offs somewhere as I really dislike a skinny mirror over a 30 3/8â total cabinet. I do like the 24 x 36 size.

I have almost finished my drawing and items to order my Conestoga RTAâÂÂs but still need to add the flush toe with tapered leg attached to face frame and a few other details like cleaning it up.

Side views and above horizontal mount online pictures.

These are bigger sconces than mine.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Just saw this...I have recessed LEDs over our two sinks. (placed there by our design/general contractor people and I went along) You could see the shadow of the faucets in the sinks, to say nothing of what they did to our faces. I pulled down the covers and inserted circles of fiberglass similar to that used in shoji screens) That softened them considerably. Found it at Tap Plastics. Now I like them!

-Babka

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Babka, yes, I did two recessed lights over my island with the screen face and it is so much nicer than the BEAM Me Up Scotty lol.

I feel so much better with everything right now as I got my cabinet estimate which was very reasonable and the order is in. Glad that is over. Now...still waiting for the sconces to figure that out. But, my flooring starts tomorrow yeah!