Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bolivia310_gw

help with sealing shower/steam room

bolivia310
11 years ago

So I recently purchased a home which was foreclosed and going around fixing things little by little. In my master bathroom the shower has a yellowish film inside the whole shower which cover all the tiles. Its more noticeable on certain color tiles than others. I think its porcelain tile but not 100% sure. I thought that the shower was just dirty as the house was empty for about a year and proceeded to try and clean it last night. The film started to flake and peel off of the tiles little by little. The shower is rather large and is also used as a steam room. Now is this film thats coming off the tiles some sort of a sealer since the shower is also used as a steam room? If so, I think it all needs to be cleaned off and resealed again before I used it. I will try and post some pictures later on of the shower and of the film Im speaking of. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Bryan

Comments (12)

• NJHM
    11 years ago

Do you have hard water? Could be mineral deposits or effloroscense IMHO. But the tile experts opinion is what counts.

• bolivia310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is a picture of the film thats on the tiles. Please help me figure out what exactly this is!!!

• bolivia310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another picture

• bolivia310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another picture

• NJHM
    11 years ago

It looks like some sort of a coating as you indicated in the original posting. If you don't get any response from the tile experts here, try the john bridge forum.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

That's a yellowed sealer. I'll tell you right now-- that was most likely applied to stop moisture problems. Before you use that, I'd gut it and rebuild it. If it's for you, it's good insurance. If you're flipping the house, I'd still do it, just so you don't end up in any kind of legal battle with the new owner.

• bolivia310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can I just strip the yellowed sealer and then reapply a new coat of sealer? What would be the best thing to use to strip it easily. Which product would I use for the new sealer? Thanks in advance.

Bryan

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

The vapor proofing for a steam shower has to be behind the wall. If they had enough of a problem that they slopped that nasty goop on it, then I agree with Bill. It needs to be ripped out and rebuilt. You likely have a nasty mold problem behind the walls and possibly under the floor as well.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Can you get a hold of the installer of the shower and get the detailed information on the installation of the shower? Maybe somehow you can find out how the shower was constructed before you go the destruction route. There are specifics that need to be adhered to for a proper shower. If you search this forum you will find many detailed post on the different materials and instructions used to install the best shower possible.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Ug, that's NASTY!

Is that natural slate or just a porcelain look alike? If it's natural slate, then I understand why they tried to correct the problem with a topical sealer (mistake) but natural stone of any kind shouldn't be used in a steam shower. It's too porous. If it's natural slate, then it all needs to come out, unfortunately.

I think I might try to pop off one of the tiles from the bathtub pony wall and see what I could see behind that. That's not a water critical space to worry about, and it should let you see at least what the first layer of product against the studs in the shower is after you cut a hole in the (hopefully) backer board under the tile. You can see if there has been any moisture migration into that cavity.

The other place I'd start doing some surgery on is on a wall that's on the other side of the shower. There's got to be an interior space in a closet or other room where you can cut a hole in the drywall and see what's in the cavity. Drywall is pretty easy to patch, and it could relieve your mind, or confirm the dire diagnosis that the sealer foreshadows.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Can you get a hold of the installer of the shower and get the detailed information on the installation of the shower? Maybe somehow you can find out how the shower was constructed before you go the destruction route.

I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. It's obvious to me that the previous owner was having moisture problems. That is NOT a stone product that's being peeled off in those pics, so I know it's not the installer, unless he's a complete fly by night, in which case this whole discussion is moot. Tear it down to the bones and redo it. As a professional, if I were asked to do anything else, I'd turn it down, and not because I'm looking to make money, but rather, I wouldn't take that kind of chance.

• bolivia310
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There's no way for me to know who installed the shower, but I will look into it.

Yes I agree it's in bad shape. It porcelain look alike. I can access the wall on the other side of the shower and cut a hole into the dry wall and see what's in there if you guys recommend it. What would I be looking for once I cut the section of the wall open?

If all else fails and/or I become too overwhelmed by this, do any of you do work in the Los Angeles area or know of any reputable person to do the work for me?

Thanks,

Bryan