Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small tub and open shower in small space?

Posted by jrtgal (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 13:44

Hello,

I am about to remodel a small master bath which is 6'2" wide. Currently there is a tub shower combo along the 6'2" width. I am wondering if it's possible/practical to have a 40" square soaking tub in one corner, and next to it an open shower in this space. with 40" for the tub in one corner, that would leave only 33" width for the shower, but I figured it could be open to the tub so it seems like it might work. (?) The only other option is just to replace the old tub/shower with a new one, which had been my plan until I discovered the small soaking tubs!
Thanks
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small tub and open shower in small space?

I'm not sure about the possibility of what you mention in your post, but there are some nice options for doing a whirlpool or air bath in that space. You should check out the Bain Ultra webpage - pricey, but really gorgeous, and since it's a master bath, probably worth the splurge. Or, Jacuzzi makes a few good options for retrofitting. It sounds like you like a nice soak in a tub, and you might be cheating yourself with a 40" space. I like to stretch my legs out when I bathe. You could even do just a deep soaking tub, but then you'll have to step into it every time you want to shower. Can you give a better idea of the dimensions of the space, i.e. the length of the room?

o

Hi Susan, are you thinking of something like this?
Open Shower Option

o

Bodica, could you please tell me the dimensions of your bathroom and if you are liking the shower? I have a tiny bathroom and would like to have a separate tub and shower, and the open showers are very appealing to me.

Thanks!

o

I'm sorry, I can not, and I'm sorry it is not my bathroom (really like it!), if it were, the vanity would hide the toilet. It is a bath in a home for sale, so I will see if I can get more information. This Kohler ad is an example of the open shower idea with a deep soaking tub in a large room. I really like the "trough drain" for large or small spaces. like this. I will open a thread with more trough images.
trough drain
Photobucket
trough drain

o

Bodica--Thanks for the pictures and I'll look for your other thread.

Pamela

o

We just finished our master bath and did almost exactly what you are thinking about. We had a space that was 48" long and 68" wide. We used a Kohler greek tub that is 32" wide and 48" long. You walk into the shower area which is 48" long and 36" wide. The long side of the tub is totally open to the shower and if you were just bathing you'd enter the tub through the shower.
The shower feels enormous. Because the space above the tub is wide open you can move your arms around with no hitting into a wall. We left an open window in the short wall at the end of the tub (next to the glass door) which further adds to the feeling of being open- and provides a nice shelf for candles while bathing.
I wish I could post pictures- maybe I'll beg my kid to help me!!! I know it is difficult to envision.

o

Blueberry - that sounds great would love to see pics! The only way I would fit the tub and shower in is along the 6'2" wall. So your Kohler greek is lined up with the shower on the 68" wall? Just trying to visualize.
Bodica - that is exactly what I was thinking thank you so much! Please do report back if you figure the dimensions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here