Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub glass doors suggestions

Posted by elk2000 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 13:39

We are planning to put glass tub doors for our small modern bathroom remodel. I really like frameless doors like Dreamline Enigma x or Vigo VG6041CHCL6066 60" door, they look very similar with specially designed rollers on top. The only thing that's stopping me from ordering one is that both doors have a fixed panel and sliding door. I'm not exactly sure how convenient this is, having only half of the door open. Should the fixed panel be placed where the plumbing is (that's what I saw on pictures), but then it makes awkward to turn on the water. Also, looks like cleaning the tub / trims is not straightforward either.
Does anyone have this kind of tub door with fixed panel? How useful this is?

My second choice is Maax Gondola. It doesn't look as beautiful as the above ones, but it has 2 sliding doors.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub glass doors suggestions

I'm eagerly hoping for answers along with you! My questions are identical to yours, and I like the same style.

Awkwardly, my tub/shower end with the handles is very close to the toilet, so I'm uncertain how to deal with it. You're right about turning on the water to get it to the right temp. We need those handles available.

I think we could certainly reach over to turn it on.

Good luck to us both!

o

This from my end is part of the problem with buying things like shower doors "online". You need to visit the showroom of a local glass company and speak to them about your setup and what your trying to accomplish and let them recommend the solution. These types of showers are "adjustable" by differing the overlaps in the glass as opposed to a glass company which will do this the proper way and have it made ti fit you opening and more often than not the price for a local glass company to measure, have it fabricated and installed will be in the same region as getting one of these online and having a different contractor or plumber install. Yes I work for a glass company and we do shower doors, we also have most of the local plumbers come to us to sell measure and install the correct product the correct way.

o

We did get a few estimates from local companies, they ended up at least twice as much in price for frameless door that swings open. The design doesn't work for us because the bathroom is narrow, so the only option is sliding door. As for installation my DH is quite handy, so we plan to do our own installation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here