Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cholette_gw

Sticker shock

cholette
11 years ago

We are in the process of building a house and it is time to buy plumbing fixtures. I am shocked at some of the prices! I want high quality, not home depot grade. Can anyone tell me where the best prices are! Any help would be appreiciated!

Comments (12)

• jw34
    11 years ago

Good selection, discounted prices and I've had good service from them; bought toilet, sink, shower valves/trim, faucet, exhaust fan, medicine chest.

• zen4d
    11 years ago

Try faucet direct and check the kitchen forum. Lots of references there. Good luck and enjoy the process.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

It depends on what you mean by sticker shock and what your expectations were going into the process. Valves/trim and faucets can be very expensive. I found what I wanted by going to local Ferguson showrooms and then ordered most things online: some from Overstock (believe it or not, I was able to get first quality, new, unopened products there) and eFaucets (and the Kohler shower door handle from Amazon). All in all, I saved over $1K by buying online from various retailers. You also need to keep in mind that some of the more expensive brands may be "special order," which can take a while to ship. I was able to get most in just a few days by ordering through Overstock, but you really need to be absolutely positive what valves and trim you need to be sure you're ordering the right items to match the plumbing application you have.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I did what Kevin did - visited Fergusons and other plumbing stores that had good showrooms, then did a lot of research (learned a lot from this forum). When I knew what I wanted, I shopped online like a madwoman until I found prices that worked for me. This included ebay and some seemingly fly-by-night online sellers, but it has all worked out. I also shopped craigslist and our local architectural salvage shops, and pawed through remnants at stone fabricators' yards. But then I'm on a pretty limited budget, and was able to put in the time to do this.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned that I spent a ton of time researching and ultimately buying. I, too, used one fly-by-night company called overstock deals.com, but the shower head eventually arrived. It was a Kohler Katalyst-type to match the Pinstripe line I was using and, at the time, was only special order because it was a new, patented air-water flow design. But I saved $15 dollars, so the two-week wait was worth it. You will spend a lot of time, but saving $1K in my case was worth the hassle.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

efaucets.com, overstock.com & irawoods.com all worked great for us. Believe it or not, if you have a Tuesday Morning store in your area, they may have some there too. A while back they bought all the faucets from a large plumbing supply house that went under. You could find some really spectacular deals on some really nice higher end faucets.

Hope this helps!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Keep in mind that some returns are not excepted after 30 days, or what ever. I have a tub in the shed that is waiting for my slow remodel and I just hope there is nothing wrong with it:) cause its been over 4 months now I think. I did have to return a faucet rough in valve that was out of the return window. Fortunately Hansgrohe was kind enough to take care of it and send me a new one. The online store was helpful in getting me to Hansgrohe but it was an extra procedure. The last couple of items I just ordered from the local Fergussons because I can return in person if there are problems. If I do another bath remodel I may just buy from the local store. They gave me competitive pricing. In fact a the best price I could find on the Kohler HiRise side spray I ordered.

• pbx2_gw
    11 years ago

Great topic as we too are doing the Ferguson > research > online route.
    We were able to save about $4.5K on our allowance.

What Ferguson is able to do is they are able to usually match the rough-in components to the fixtures pretty accurately most of the time.

But you pay a premium for that service.

Else, good ole diligence & hardwork documenting all the instructions & specs for your installer (or you) will take care of everything.

&* most of the retailers obove esp. faucetsdirect.com can turns things around real quick if there are discrepancies.

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

Like others we went to Ferguson's and the Kohler showrooms to look and then bought online - since we bought all our appliances from Ferguson's I didn't feel guilty buying our faucets online. We used faucetdepot.com for most things.

You might also want to look at Costco - online and the warehouse. They usually have some Hansgrohe faucets - we bought our Hansgrohe kitchen faucet there for more than 50% off retail.

• coolbeansw
    11 years ago

FaucetsDirect and Amazon. Great selection, prices, and service.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I looked online for what I wanted, got prices and visited a local showroom who matched all the best prices I could get online! I used The Fixture Gallery a division of Consolidated Supply. All the showrooms appear to be in the PNW, but maybe CS is elsewhere, too? If we all shop online and don't support our local businesses, well, there soon won't be any local businesses. I'd give them a chance to make you a fair deal.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Olychick, thats what I did too with Fergussons, they matched my best online price.