Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngalinnyc

how to finish tile/molding around window in shower what to do?

southerngalinnyc
13 years ago

Hi Ya'll,

I'm back with my tiny 3rd floor guest bath and yet another issue.

So the window in the shower is not centered on the wall and for some reason our "guy' didn't discover this before he began tiling.

So there is a 2" space between the window and where the tile will end on one side and 2.5" on the other.

Originally I was going to simply use wood molding and use either marine paint or varnish to seal it and protect from moisture. The window is wood, not vinyl (perhaps not a great choice but its done)

so my guy wants to use carrera marble now to trim out the window since he can cut it different thicknesses on each side.

The floor is basketweave carrera with a black dot and the console sink will also have carrera marble top. but the tub front will have wooden wainscoting surround on the front... so I really wanted to pull that look up to the window.

As a solution I was wondering about using a baseboard molding with an outside bead in pvc to frame out the window since that could be cut to different width.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xj8/R-202089244/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The bullnose tile is not wide enough to use on its own.

What suggestions does this great group have for me?

Here are some photos....

tiny 3rd floor guest bath under the eaves

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

If he wants to trim it out in marble, fine. But he needs to cut the tile back so the marble can frame the entire window, EQUALLY. It's going to look like crap if one side's bigger than the other. Also, he needs to waterproof the return around the window, so that no water will get into the wall at that point.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bill,
    Thanks so much for the feedback and help. Can you point me to a place where I can find more info about waterproofing the return around the window? I am not sure exactly what you mean by that.
    Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

That wall turns a corner into the window about 2", correct?

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bill,
    The window frame is flush with the wall. so whereas I have seen windows which require tile around the interior this one isn't set up like that. Here are a couple of close ups of the window.

From tiny 3rd floor guest bath under the eaves
    From tiny 3rd floor guest bath under the eaves

Hope I understood your question correctly.
    Thanks again!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Sorry-- forgot to show you the finished surface, so you know how to treat it!! I just brought the tile bullnose right up to the corner of the wood frame, like so:

• rubym
    13 years ago

This doesn't relate to tile/molding but I had a question related to the wood trim molding in photo 12 of 18. I wanted to put up a similar but simpler craftsman wainscot in my bathroom remodel. If I go with wainscot behind the vanity, I'm not sure what to do with the backsplash for the vanity. In the pic, it looks like there is a short backsplash of the same material as the vanity top. In my case I can't use the same botticino marble bcause it is too thick to use as a backsplash on my narrow 19.5" top.
    Also, I wonder if there would be gaps in between the molding that would allow items to fall behind the vanity?

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ugh, Bill, I am so confused. and i am soooo sorry to be so blonde. And you are so great to help... but I am seriously confused. You say "i did" as in I thought I understood you.... but my window, as currently installed.. doesn't give me the option of angling in to the window.. I think that you are saying to use the Keriband ( and ps by the way I am not sure what that is.._ between the tile and the wood.. and then to paint the hell out of it with marine paint. can you also tell me more about installing the kerdi to make it adhere to the wood?
    many thanks

took strips of Kerdiband, and bridged from the cement board to the wood frame, so that there'd be no cracking between the two substrates. Any time you have something like this, where the rate of expansion and contraction will be different between two different substrates, you need to compensate for it some how. (in this case, there WAS a return to the window, but it was painted with a waterproof boat paint, so it's still the same scenario as yours) This will also help protect against water intrusion. Use a highly modified thinset to install the Kerdi, to make sure it bonds well to the wood frame.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

between the tile and the wood

That's not what I said. I said to use the Kerdi band to bridge between the CEMENT BOARD and the wood. All Kerdi Band is, is a 6" wide roll of the Kerdi sheet membrane (the orange strips in the pic above. Paint all wood surfaces with a waterproof boat paint, and allow to dry. Then use a high strength thinset to adhere the Kerdi Band. My preference would be Laticrete's 317 thinset (or if you get it from Lowes, Mega-Bond) mixed with their 333 liquid latex additive. That won't let go, from either the cement board OR the wood.

• southerngalinnyc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bill, I've got it now. Sorry to torture you.
    all the best!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

No torture-- that's what I'm here for. :-)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA