Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make grout disappear w/multi-colored tile?

Posted by fatlady (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 13:02

We have a mulit-colored mosiac pennies (in green) tile that we surrounded around our bathroom window. The rest of the tile is a vanilla/cream color-- so the tiler used a bone color grout on all of the tile (including the green mosiac).

I really don't like how the bone colored grout changed the look of the green mosiac (it looks likes green bubbles rather than the pretty mosiac).

Can I change the color of the grout now that it is set?
What color should I change it too in order to make the grout color disapper?--I looked through the threads and saw that Bill V recommended matching the grout color to the tile color, but how do you match when the tile varies from dark green to a light yellow-green?

We are going to repeat the pattern on the floor- so I am wondering what to do to make the grout color disappear in this varied colored tile (and hopefully match or look good with the tile around the window).

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make grout disappear w/multi-colored tile?

Aquamix sells a grout colorant that is quite effective.

You've discovered that a light colored grout causes the tile to pop. If you can;t get an exact color match to hide the grout, then sometimes a neutral color...along the lines of the natural gray or pewter in the chart below...works well.

Mongo

o

I looked through the threads and saw that Bill V recommended matching the grout color to the tile color, but how do you match when the tile varies from dark green to a light yellow-green?

Vary the grout color!! Use one color for the accent tile, and another color for the field tile.

o

Thanks! I will run the idea of the aqua-mix by my tiler. If I use the pewter color, for example, for both the already grouted (in bone-color that I want to change)and the newly grouted, will the grout colors match?

Bill--I think you misunderstood my problem. Yes, the field and the accent tiles are two different colors, and I am now thinking I will use two different grout colors. But my problem is that the accent tile itself is comprised of about 5 different shades of green. So, I was wondering if it is better to go with the darker shade of green or the lighter shade of green for the accent grout color?

Based on the color chart mongoct sent, I think I will try the pewter or natural gray. Is it reasonable to ask the tiler to do a sample on some spare meshed tile pieces?

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here