Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dovetonsils

Is no light over mirror a new trend?

dovetonsils
9 years ago

My wife and I stayed at my son's apartment that he just moved into two weeks ago. This is a brand spanking new luxury highrise in Philadelphia and he is the first occupant of his unit. This is an upscale apartment with granite countertops, million dollar exercise room, 24 hour doorman, etc.

It's missing just one thing - a light over the mirror in the bathroom. My wife couldn't even put on her makeup. She had to stand by the window. There are recessed overhead lights. There doesn't even seem to be wiring or an outlet box for a light over the mirror. This couldn't have been an oversight or a rushed occupancy where they didn't have time to install the light.

My question - is this a new trend? Have I missed something like I missed putting chandeliers in the bathroom like I see now on HGTV?

This post was edited by Dovetonsils on Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 12:54

Comments (16)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I don't think it is a trend. It is poor design.

-Babka

• chispa
    9 years ago

They figured the recessed lights are enough and they saved money on a box, wires, switch and fixture ... multiple that by every bathroom in the building and it is a substantial savings.

A trend that you will see (and better for makeup application) is using 2 sconce type fixtures on either side of the sink, instead of a fixture over the sink.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

If it's a trend, it's not a very wise one. That's what I ended up with the 2nd time around. When we built this house 33 years ago, I had sconces on each side of my double sink vanity. Lighting was bright and perfect for looking in the mirror. Remodel should have least been AS good, right? I ran out of time and energy and let the electrician convince me recessed cans were plenty. Have a wall sconce by the toilet and a chandelier over the tub but the recessed lighting sucks when it comes to looking in the mirror. I knew it would. Got no one to blame but myself :( Wall sconces placed about eye level offer the best lighting and more flattering.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Agreed, I have sconces, recessed and a chandelier ... all will be on dimmers. Also added a second recessed light to the shower. I also put in new fans with lights and night lights! I like to be able to really light up a room if I need it and then use dimmers to control the "mood".

• bpollen
    9 years ago

No, that's not a trend. Lights over mirror in bathrooms are all over the place in Houzz. Sconces are a nicer look, IMO, and very popular. Sconces on the sides of the mirror are also more flattering.

It's possible your son opted to put lower wattage bulbs in the recessed lighting. But I haven't seen any pics of baths without lighting around the sink. In fact, it's usually too bright, for my taste. Most people overestimate how much light is needed in a bath.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

A light over the mirror is a trend that NEEDS to go away! It creates horrible shadows on your face.

Lights to the SIDE of the mirror are the way to go, less shadowing.

Having said that, the way you describe (on the ceiling only) is even worse :)

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I am not too crazy about the side sconces because they limit the size of the mirror you can have. I guess I prefer the light fixture over the mirror.

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

The side sconces I had (they were really pendants) hung from the ceiling and were about level with DH's head, maybe a tad higher. jerzeehirl, you can have them mounted on the mirror.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

They can actually be mounted THROUGH the mirror. (a hole is cut in the mirror). My problem with that is that they get reflected back and you see double images.

I chose to go for ceiling recessed over each sink, then overhead downward lights, in addition to the sconces.

I also have an eye level lighted makeup mirror on the wall.

I'm getting older and every bit of light I have while putting on makeup keeps me from looking silly when I get outdoors. ;-)

-Babka

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Babka: Do you have a picture of your lighting set up?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have a downward facing 5-light unit over my mirror. It's the only light in my 5x10 guest bath and illuminates the entire space with a total of 200 watts (incandescent). If I'd had a bigger budget, I'd have worked some sconces in there for the flatter factor.

But, I never put on makeup standing/leaning over a counter. Never standing up. I have a little makeup station in my office--where else?!!--where I sit down in comfort with a huge magnified mirror and apply makeup at my leisure.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl, here is my set up.

-Babka

• chispa
    9 years ago

Babka, could you tell me how long your counter is? Thanks

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Chispa- Our counter to is 7'. The whole room is 7x11. I had to sit on the toilet on the opposing wall to take the photo. ;-)

-Babka

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Babka: That is really nice. I LOVE your mirror! Did you get it from the place that made the cabinet? Very nice!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl- Yes, the cabinet guy made the frame and a glass company put the mirror into it.

-Babka