Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyinbothell

Can powder room be medium gray if....

cathyinbothell
10 years ago

The rooms adjacent to the powder room are all "Crisp Khakii" which is a fairly deep goldy tan. Much of the woodwork in my home is cherry. We are gutting our little powder room (only 36 inches wide!) and my plan is to do medium gray walls (greige) with an espresso cabinet, white sparkly quart counter w under-mount sink and some white and gray (both light and dark gray) bullet tiles behind a frameless mirror. The faucet will be chrome and the cabinet has some nickle hardware. I am putting oblong ceramic tile down in both this room and the laundry room that are adjacent. The tile has sort of a quiet linen pattern. My main concern is going to gray out of nowhere with an espresso cabinet. Your thoughts?

Comments (5)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Does the cabinet come in cherry? It would still work with the rest of the scheme and tie into the rest of the house.

• cathyinbothell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish, Palimpset. I would have liked that...but all the cherry vanities looked too traditional or too distressed. I have searched and searched and finally landed on espresso.

• Lars
    10 years ago

I would be more concerned with having a chrome faucet and nickel hardware. Switch the faucet to nickel to match the hardware, if possible. Chrome has a slight bluish cast to it, and nickel is a warmer color.

Make sure that the gray paint you choose goes with the gray tiles. The powder room does not have to match the adjacent room, but the colors in the room should coordinate with each other. If you have warm gray tiles, you do not want cool gray paint.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Or switch to all chrome. Nickel faucets are expensive and if finish is a polished nickel will show water spots easily. Someone one has complained about that in the past. I would think that you could switch the hardware on the cabinet easy enough to match the chrome.

Can you get a cabinet made for you?

I'd be very careful with the warm and cool color combinations.

• cathyinbothell
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, enduring and publickman. I'm trying really hard to bring the room together with these different finishes and hadn't thought too much about the varieties of "silvers"...meaning chrome versus nickel versus stainless and that kind of thing. Funny you mention getting a cabinet made....I went to a place today where they can do exactly that, so we'll see where all this ends up. I NEVER thought that a tiny little powder room, that I have been dying to remodel for 25 years, would be so stressful! It helps to have genuine feedback from people like you...thanks again.