Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kohler Expanse v any Cast Iron--louder?

Posted by kirkhall (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 12:32

Hi all,
I am researching for a tub for my daughters' bathroom. It will be a hall bathroom and the toilet/tub room is separated from the sinks...so looks don't count as much as something where you SEE the tub (as a focal point). What does matter is the utility of the tub for bathing AND showering as my girls are almost past age of baths.

I read a review somewhere of a cast iron tub that said that the shower was nice and quiet as the water fell on the cast iron. Now, that isn't something I'd thought about before, but makes perfect sense. We have cast iron now (and it will be going)...so I have not a lot of perspective on how acrylic "sounds"--only how loud it seems in hotel rooms.

So, for those with the Expanse, specifically, do you feel like it is a noisy shower (when the shower water is running)? This tub will be on a wall with the master bedroom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kohler Expanse v any Cast Iron--louder?

It doesn't matter what model acrylic tub--install it in a mud bed and it will be quieter than it is without one.

o

Who usually does that? The plumber when they do the rough-in? Or, the contractor/tile person?

o

We chose cast iron tubs for our two main bathrooms, and a cast iron shower receptor (pan) for the guest bathroom. We did so for a few reasons; heat retention and solidity/sturdiness were the main ones.

Our plumber used copper pipes for the water lines, but PVC drain pipes I believe. Those are definitely noisier (had we realized he was planning on using them, probably would have inquired about other options). Only noisy when draining (not horribly so). We shower in the tubs daily, and don't find them to be noisy for showering at all.

o

I have a Kohler Expanse, which I love. I replaced a cast iron tub. Yes, the sound is different, but that's all -- different. Not louder or more bothersome, just different. The Expanse is all one piece as opposed to many tubs that have a removable apron. This makes it more solid and therefore not so noisy. I love that tub for showering because it gives you the same space as a shower stall. However, the sides are higher for stepping over, but I got used to that quickly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here