Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Faucet finishes and hard water; best choice?

caroline94535
15 years ago

We've chosen Kohler's "Bancroft" faucets for the bathroom. I want the brushed nickle finish with porcelain handles.

I have extrememly hard water here in Larimore, ND. We have a water softener, but it's still "bad" water. I get water/mineral spots on anything that stays damp.

I clean the current old (inexpensive)chrome fixtures daily with a spritz of Windex and a paper towel. This keeps them looking acceptable.

Is brushed nickle any more difficult than chrome to keep clean and free of water marks?

Thanks! (We begin the tear out in the morniing!!!)

Comments (8)

• helenjoan
    15 years ago

We have the same situation (in Connecticut), and were advised by 2 different plumbing supply stores to use polished chrome, which is what we'll be doing. I was told that we'd have to wipe dry the nickel finish to keep it from spotting - and even then we might have problems depending on exactly what is in our water.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I don't have "hard" water but it's not very soft either. I find (as do so many others here that have answered this question in the past) that he brushed nickel is one of the best to not show water spots. Anything polished is going to show spots and prints more than a brushed finish.
    Monica

• Anna Vegia
    15 years ago

I have very hard water, and brushed nickel finishes in all of my bathrooms. I've had no trouble at all keeping them clean, with normal maintenance. They've been in a little over 3 years. Now I'm redoing 2 baths, and am considering switching at least one of the bathrooms over to polished chrome, and I'm a little worried about that.

BTW, I have polished chrome in my kitchen, and that needs to be wiped down several times daily to keep it clean/spot free.

• jillian08
    15 years ago

We have extremely hard water (have to soak the shower head in vinegar twice a month) and the only finish that has been fairly easy to keep up for us has been the oil-rubbed bronze (I thought it would be the worst). We've had brushed nickel and I had to dry after each use, same as when we had polished chrome. With very hard water, I don't think any finish will be easy upkeep, so I would get the look you like. I dream of the day we have a water softener!

• breislach
    15 years ago

Hi,

This is a late follow-up question to this thread's topic: I'm about to launch a bathroom remodel and have to choose the faucets, etc. Like some of the earlier posters, I live in a hard-water zone in the Upper Midwest. Even with a softener, my polished chrome fittings throughout the house get spotted unless I'm endlessly vigilant (which I'm not).

I'm liking a Delta collection (Leland) that offers polished chrome, Venetian bronze and their "Brilliance" finished stainless (it looks brushed).

I can imagine what the chrome will do, and have to admit I don't really like the dark finish, so any opinions about / experience with the Stainless and this finish protection in hard-water conditions?

many thanks!

• debt53
    7 years ago

I have hard water and have stainless in my kitchen five years now and it is fine. I had oil rubbed bronze on the bathroom and the finish is actually rubbing right off not only that but we have had to replace the mixing valve twice in five years. I have brushed nickel in another bathroom and it is nice but not as nice as the stainless. I am changing out the Masterbath to stainless. So far best luck. Hard well water is tough.

• Tmnca
    7 years ago

Check out a wax type product like Gel Gloss - or good old turtle wax, it can help save your sanity with hard water. Better still get a water softener, I lived with hard water for a couple years and it destroyed a dishwasher and made me hair and skin very unhappy as well as being a nightmare to clean up after.