Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jabela_gw

steam showers - have one?

jabela
17 years ago

DH would really like a steam shower and I've been looking on line which has confused me lol. Some seem to have tubs which need filled up to circulate water. Others look just like regular showers. Anyone have experience with a steam shower unit?

Comments (15)

• compumom
    17 years ago

We decided against one in our current construction, however our friends have and rave about "Mr Steam". Interestingly enough the women don't use it much, but the men really like it. Our friend was kind enough to invite us over to take a shower (a good friend!)and we tried it out. DH wasn't all that impressed and I thought I might use it, but opted for the heated floor tiles instead. It's all about your budget cuz they are pricey!!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Funny you should say that, because in here, it's been mostly the opposite! (Interestingly enough the women don't use it much, but the men really like it.)

• mamacotti
    17 years ago

We are putting one in our new MB now. We had one 10 years ago, then sold and moved to home without one. I hope to never, ever have to be without one again!

But it's all about what YOU want. How much do you like the steam, vs. the dry heat (sauna)? The health benefits are great with either one, I just can't stand the dry heat...

Suzie

• buzrob
    17 years ago

I'm finalizing my master bath design and wish to have a steam shower. We have 12' ceilings so I was trying to invent a way of installing a roof on the 8' high shower that can be lowered for steam and pulled up for normal showering. Anyone seen that or have opinions about it? I have seen some small gas filled "lid openers/closers" meant for furniture that might fit the bill. I can have my shower contractor provide holes for their mounting and use a sheet of acrylic for the top. The shower is 40"x 50".

• jabela
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I put one on the charge card. I guess we'll find out in a month if it was a good idea or not. I'm getting a corner model with a tub. Since it's taken me 7 years to get this far we think having the all in one unit will actually get us done this year instead of 2010. No surround to build for the deck mounted tub. No mud job on the floor or tiling a shower alcove. Don't even have to make any decisions on faucets. Just plug it in.

Now what color do I paint the walls? ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: wmk steam shower unit

• mamacotti
    17 years ago

ohmygosh, jabela! I can't wait to hear how you like it! Ours isn't a "unit" like that, but I've often wondered about them! Please keep us updated!

I bet you LOVE it!

Congrats!
    Suzie

• onlygirlsmom
    17 years ago

My parents have a steam shower in their house and it's the highlight of our overnight visits there - I ALWAYS use their shower -even though there's a regular shower off the bedroom we stay in. I LOVVEEE steam showers!! MY DH and I are planning on putting one into our new house that we're building next year. We're opting for the steam shower instead of the whirlpool tub which you find in so many master baths. A whirlpool tub would be an absolute waste of money to us as neither one of us are bath people. Costwise I think they're probably comparable to each other.
    My DH and I came across the following steam shower site that looked interesting. We'll probably tile our shower and won't use a unit, but these do look interesting and very reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: steam shower site

• brunosonio
    17 years ago

We put one into our basement bathroom remodel. Because we did a total gut remodel of the entire house we were down to bare wall studs. We opted for a tiled steam/shower, custom done to the room's specifications, with a sealed glass door. We used a steam generator unit that was installed in the garage (you can install it up to 20 feet away from the shower itself). The inside of the shower has a built in bench, thermostat, shower, and light. Our tile guy went to great lengths to make sure the ceiling was sloped the proper degree, and the tile was placed in it in a very balanced pattern.

Now we're just waiting for the electrician to return and finish connecting the light and the power! We redid 2 other bathrooms upstairs, so this was more a guest bath on the way to the hot tub off the basement laundry room. It wasn't that expensive to do, and we had to finish the bathroom anyways. Adding a steam generator and making the necessary changes to the tiled shower wasn't cost-prohibitive.

• scoobie_grow
    17 years ago

I am thinking of buying a steam shower, which brands do you have and would you buy it again? Thanks!

Denise

• francismobley
    17 years ago

Checkout steamshower.net - they recommend Kohler, American Standard, Wasauna, and someone else.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam Shower FAQ

• bcted
    17 years ago

Make sure you buy the right size unit and consider where to place the controls. I'm opting for one inside and one outside the shower.

• builderbabe
    17 years ago

Just don't forget that if you decide to do a steam shower you need to use cement board on the shower walls not green board. This is not an option it is a must. Green board, though water resistant it is not water proof and can become saturated in an enclosed area, then you will have mold.

• newhomer
    17 years ago

hey everyone. I read somewhere that an existing bath area can be turned into a steam shower. Is that a little too small? My existing bath tub is 30 x 60. Does this small space preclude me from building a steam shower?

• wangshan
    17 years ago

Has anyone DIYed putting in a steam shower? I ripping out a tub in one of my baths and am considering adding a steam unit to what will be a custom shower . Is it hard to seal the area so that the steam doesn't get out? I seem to remember reading that it must be very waterproof more so that a regular shower.

• woodinvirginia
    16 years ago

wangshan... if you haven't done it yet Google John Bridge's Tile Forum . He has plenty of DIY'rs who have constructed Steam showers using the Kerdi Membrane system.