Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steam shower membrane / seating question

Posted by Atanoman (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 12:19

Greetings group,
I'm in a the middle of a remodel and have framed a steam shower on a slab floor approx 4' x 6' in size. My current moisture management plan is 100% Redgard or Laticrete. I'll be putting in a bench as well. Questions:

1) Have any of you used either one of these products in lieu of a regular shower membrane?

2) Is there any real advantage to a bench made of cinder blocks vs lumber. Any construction tips for either?

This is a great forum. Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steam shower membrane / seating question

None of the Laticrete waterproofing membranes (Hydroban, 9235, Hydrobarrier, etc) are vapor barriers. So take a pass on those if you want a single-use product. Otherwise you'd have to use a vapor barrier in addition to those waterproofing membranes.

RedGard is a vapor barrier.

So based on your listing, all that you listed could serve you well for moisture management, both only the RedGard for vapor management.

1) Over the years I've used RedGard, Hydroban, and 9235 in "regular" showers. But not in a steam shower. In steam showers I use Kerdi. There are other products that perform the same function. Kerdi is my personal preference in steam showers.

2) Cinder blocks are impervious to water damage. If wood gets wet, it can swell. No big deal there though, as neither should never see water or vapor, especially with today's membranes. If using cinder blocks or similar, I build on the subfloor and butt the mud slope to the blocks. If building with wood, use kiln dried wood to avoid the shrinkage you'd get from green wood as the green lumber dries out. Wood construction would be built on the subfloor too. Wood framing, then a skin of plywood (if needed), a skin of cement board, then the membrane.

o
RE: Steam shower membrane / seating question

Cinder blocks with Kerdi gets my vote.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here