Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzan30

same tile on floor and wall

suzan30
12 years ago

Thanks to all who responded to my previous query. It was suggested that low contrast is one way to make my tiny bath seem more spacious. I was thinking of using the same tile on the floor and bath surround. Is that strange? I thought I could do 12 x 12 on the floor and then cut them in half to use in a subway pattern. The tile I like is called Charisma Fabrique in creme linen. Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile choice

Comments (17)

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Those are really lovely tiles. I love the look of using the same tiles on floor and tub or shower surround. In fact, I did just that in my main / guest bathroom remodel, using Daltile Navelli Carrera Star 12x12s on floor and walls. In my opinion (and comments from others have agreed) my bathroom looks significantly larger with the same tiles on floor and tub/shower surround. The ones you linked had some rectangular tiles. I think it would look great to use large square floor tiles and then the same tiles in a rectangular shape.

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the follow up. Have you posted pictures of your bath? I'd love to see it!

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

Just posted this to another thread, but it's just as appropriate here:

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bill. Very pretty. Do you think the tile I've chosen will work ok?

• sas95
    12 years ago

I love the tiles you have chosen. We did the same tiles on the floor and walls in our master remodel-- 9x18 on the floors and 9x9 on the walls. I like the look.

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

I'm not sure I'd use a tile that's made to look like vinyl wall covering for a floor tile. But then again, it's not my house, either! :-)

I think if you like the look, it'll work fine mechanically.

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my! That's harsh. The real thing is actually very attractive, at least IMHO. I have the dark brown ones (rectangular planks) in my downstairs powderroom (on the floor) and people have thought that it is dark stained wood. The cream has an almost linen-look, very clean and modern, which is what I'd like in my modernist townhome. Also, I like the idea of having continuity but with variation through the house.

But perhaps it would be too much on the floor and the walls?

• alku05
    12 years ago

I just put the blanc linen on my master's floor, and I think it would be lovely on both floor and walls.

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

The tiles you have chosen are really pretty and will look great with the look that you are trying to create! No worries!

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for weighting in with some positive ocmments. Alku05, do you have a picture of your master's floor? I'd love to see it!

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

Some people like it, and some people don't. I fall into the camp that doesn't

I prefer contrast between the floor and walls. Doesn't have to be completely stark super dark for floor and light for walls, but something coordinating but variation.

the pics Bill posted I'm sure appeal to some, but it doesn't do it for me.

if it were me, I might consider doing the Brun linen on the floor with creme linin on the walls. or Gris linin on the floor (hard to tell exactly the color)

no right or wrong, just another man's opinion

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm. Thanks for weighing in. I can see your point about using the same tile in different colors to get some contrast. My original plan was to use use the Brun Linen on the floor (chocolate brown) and the creme linen on the walls, but there was the suggestion that low contrast would make the space feel larger. The vanity will be in natural maple which looks really nice with the Brun linen . . .

The link shows a floor very similar to the one in my half bath, which I thought about using in the upstairs bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Here's the kind of look I like.[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/narita-architects-contemporary-bathroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~104030)

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

Suzan, I';m sorry if it came across as a negative comment. I actually do like the tile you picked out as a wall tile. it has a very rich look to it, as an upscale wallcovering. But not as a floor tile, especially because of the texture of it. I don't think you'd like it after a while. I didn't mean to come across negatively about it.

As for the comment about it being YOUR taste, that's something I say in every post I send in where it's a matter of personal taste. The homeowner is the ONLY one whose taste matters. Not mine, not the designer's not the contractor's, or anyone ELSE in here-- just yours.

Again, I apologize if I came across as being harsh and negative.

• suzan30
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Bill,

No worries. I appreciate your honesty, and I understand very well that in the end I have to like it. Any suggestions about a floor tile that might work with this tile on the wall?

Thanks!

suzan

• ellendi
    12 years ago

This is why I love finding wall and floor tiles that are already made to coordinate. I get where Bill is going with this though. Still it is a matter of taste. My tiny master bath's floor and walls are one color, but different tiles. I like a moncromatic look for a small space. Are you tile shopping in stores? The sales people in a store can help you with corrdinating the tile that you like.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I did see a Linen look tile used throughout a bathroom recently and it came off as a very modern sleek look. It was very well done. The tiles were large format and in a deep grey color.