Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbycat9990_gw

Bathroom vanities: Wherre did you get yours?

abbycat9990
9 years ago

We are planning to remodel our master bathroom. We intend to replace the shower insert with tile; the corner tub with a drop-in oval; the vinyl flooring with tile; and the vanity and mirror with new, smaller versions. We may add beadboard wainscot around the room; we will extend the shower if the plumbing allows it.

We have looked at vanities at the big boxes, and at large furniture pieces (buffets) at antique malls. We think a new, double sink vanity with top and sinks included is our best bet. We see nice options on Wayfair, Overstock, Home Decorators Collection, Pottery Barn, etc.

We would like the drawers to have slides; that seems to be a deficiency in some of the units. What experiences have you all had? Our style will be more cottage than formal.

This post was edited by abbycat9990 on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 12:02

Comments (19)

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the vanity wall:

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

We are about to order ConestogaâÂÂs top of the line RTAâÂÂs (they have two lines). A few years ago we did a DIY kitchen and bought all Conestoga cabinetry as we needed some custom pieces for an odd shaped floor plan. At the time I was getting estimates from cabinet companies that were coming in at 14,000 and up just for the cabinets with mdf boxes but all wood doors. I got the same configuration but all solid wood with dove tail drawers and finished interiors for $7,000 plus extra varnish, paint and stain for touch-ups (although it all came finished). We were beyond happy with the quality. We are now in another house and need 21â deep vanities but also need the option of maximum storage in a bump-out center cabinet and a shallow counter/wall cabinet extending from that. I will have to do the top, sink and faucets separate but with us doing the cabinet assembly at least I can save there and get more of what I want.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Mine is 57" and is from Columbia Cabinets (British Columbia). Single sink, drawers on either side. I looked around for a prefinished one that size but they tend to be 60" and it was too big for me. Mine has full-extension and soft-close drawers and cab doors. Many wood species and door/drawer styles and finishes.

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. We're not planning to replace the full line of cabinetry that's there. Instead, we'd like to put in a free standing double vanity like the one linked below. I am hoping for input on the best sources for online ordering. I have bookmarked some contenders from Wayfair and Pottery Barn too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are using this tile for the floor (grigio, either 12" x 24" or 18" x 18"), shower floor (mosaic) and shower walls (bianco 12" x 24"). We're open to either a white vanity with shaker style doors, or a craftsman/mission look in oak. There will be a beadboard wainscot to 48" running around the room, similar to our kitchen -

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The one at HD looks great in the photo, but I'd want to see it in person. The price seems way too low to me. I just got a new 57" vanity with an eye on my budget. It's alder, comparable in price to regular oak and maple, less than cherry, etc. Slab drawers and shaker doors. Nothing fancy, but well made. Delivered fully assembled (except for toe kick) = $1600 and change. The drawers are a revelation.

My counter is honed carrara which is not an expensive stone as stones go. With one sink cutout and an eased edge (no buildup) it was $1300. My sink was a couple hundred or so.

So, you can see that a decent vanity, certainly not high-end, smaller than you plan, can run 2-3 times what that one at HD is selling for. Yes, volume would let them keep prices down. But I'd want to go over that piece in person first, esp. if it's going into a master bath where you know it will get plenty of use.

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're skeptical about the HD vanity too - and the reviews reveal that the drawers lack slides, so we're definitely not interested. However, I like the look of it, so it stays bookmarked. The vanities at Pottery Barn include counter tops and sinks too, and start closer to $2K. We're interested in hearing about where people are getting vanities, and whether they are happy with the result.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanity

• zargunn
    9 years ago

Check our Costco online - they have a decent selections and reviews. With their return policy and customer service, might be a low-risk option. GL!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you guys for the names and links of places to look for a vanity. We've seen what HD and Lowes have to offer and aren't impressed. We had a local cabinet maker do mine in 2007 and it's a masterpiece. My husband wanted to try to find something already made and ready to drop the sink and counter on. But, I'm going to give him a call anyway. I know his work and looking at prices, I think he'll come in under these prices. But now I have more options than I did previously, so thanks!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

We ordered one from Kraftmaid through HD. We picked the wood, stain, door style, drawer configuration, and a trim package and got it in three weeks. When we do our master bath, I'm thinking of ordering Barker RTA cabs so that I can get a 24" sink base, larger drawers, Blum glides, dovetail drawers, domestic plywood, etc. Most of the online ones are all sink base and tiny drawers and imported from you-know-where.

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm... I love the idea of RTA. We are Ikea veterans, but wanted to go a big higher end for the master bath. If I can get a nice cabinet and still assemble it myself, then I will feel pretty good about the project. Thanks everyone!

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

If youâÂÂre interested in RTA but want nice check out Conestoga cabinets at cabinetmakerschoice . com . You want to look at the Advantage line: The entire Advantage case is constructed from 1/2â³ Birch plywood with interiors finished in a durable UV clear coat (they used to use catalyzed varnish but not sure if âÂÂclear coatâ is the same as when I bought last). Cabinet shelving is 3/4â³ thick prefinished Birch plywood with an optional upgrade to solid wood shelving (I buy the solid wood shelving as the upcharge is small). The new Advantage line also offers optional 3/4â³ flush end panels, there are zillions of choices on door style, paint colors, glazes and stains. Or they will do a color recipe of your choice at a 25% upcharge.
    The other thing about this brand is that they make and have been making the doors for many high-end kitchen cabinets companies for years and years. Some of those companies buy the doors unfinished and finish them at their plant with their own colors and stains and some companies buy the doors already finished. If you snoop around online you will hear over and over how great their finishes are.
    IâÂÂm going to order my bathroom cabinets soon, just need to check and check and check again on my design before placing my order. I think they offer a design service if you need help but I have no idea how much they charge.

IâÂÂd at least have a look at the site because they have just about anything one might dream of. You can mix and match too. For my vertical center countertop storage I am using a cabinet with a bottom drawer from the office line section.

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Has anyone bought from Bulid.com? I found them with an 'oak bathroom vanities' search. The pieces look nice...

Here is a link that might be useful: Build.com

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We considered HD and Lowes, but were walking through one of those stores one day. I opened a door on a display model - it was hanging crooked. The drawers were off kilter, staples were sticking out the side - the entire unit was a disaster. Poorly constructed. I asked a passing clerk if all of the vanities were like the ones on display. She smiled and said yes...we did NOT buy a vanity from them!

We considered custom - our kitchen cabinet maker offered us a good price and we knew the quality would be good. We wound up going with JHE Log Furniture. Solid construction (no mdf), soft close on the drawers, etc. They also did something special for us - embedded a map (that was special to us - we sent them the map) in the clear top of one of the pieces. We used a map, but darned near anything could be put there (pictures, etc). It's unique and special to us and our home.

Okay, I don't think there are *too* many log home builders out there that are interested in log vanities, but my point of this little comment is that there are good, cost effective places to get vanities other than the big box stores!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Also check overstock.com.

• abbycat9990
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gladys1924 - Thanks for the log info. I am checking out the site. We don't have a cabin, but love to rent them in the TN mountains! We are going to check on custom. Our contractor mentioned it, in the context of saving existing vanity and getting new doors. That's still a possibility, but I really want some natural wood in the room.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Custom. And that doesn't always mean expensive. Talk to some local cabinet makers and you can get exactly what you want. At least give them a chance before you get the ready made stuff. What looks good at the store might not hold up so well under constant use. I cannot say enough about our custom, full extension self close drawers. The master bath is (to me) as important as the kitchen. You use it every day..do the best your budget will allow and you won't be sorry.

-Babka

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

Sure, abbycat - JHE was great to work with. Looks like they've added some pieces since I was at their web site before - good stuff. They do quality work...and we got the copper sinks/faucets and a mirror for one bathroom, mirrored medicine cabinet for the other. We've gotten a lot of compliments on it, especially from our cabin loving friends!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Those rustic vanities are gorgeous! DH would love them but they're 2x as high as what we can get built here by a cabinet maker that we already have experience with (and like). I'm going to try to go for a rustic-ish look by using knotty alder and a very "manly" looking granite. This is what he has in mind for the bathroom in his shop/barn loft.

Babka...totally agree. It might not be doable for everyone, but it has been for us and people need to know that just because they're on a tighter budget, they should at least consider it. Just make sure you know what you're getting.