Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Thoughts on this grout color?

threeapples
11 years ago

This is delorean gray and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on whether it's too dark, too gray, too light, etc. for this 18" marble for my master bath.

Yep, we're keeping it even though I don't like it. Even though the price to replace it might someday seem like a no-brainer bullet to bite, right now we just can't do it. So, I'll have to make the rest of the bathroom spectacular so nobody looks down! :)

oh, and don't forget, the ones in the bathroom are much yellower/beiger than these two extras on the floor in my closet.

Comments (13)

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I'd use this color if I were trying to draw attention to the tiles. If not, I'd probably go a couple shades lighter.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I think this seems dark as well.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Is it dry? It seems much too dark to me. I like grout to fade away not emphasize the tile lines. I also think it may clash with your yellowish parts of your tile . . .

• Jamesxpm
    11 years ago

I used to lay ceramic and marble tile floors. The grout color depends on the application (where the floor is located) and the effect that you want to achieve. If the floor will get lots of traffic i.e. hallways, bathrooms etc. you tend to use darker grouts since no matter what you do the grout will become dirty and dark over time. In areas where the traffic is fairly light you tend to use grout colors closer to the color of the tile, this way you avoid the obvious grid pattern. However if your tiles are laid in a nice pattern and you'd like to emphasize it you definitely need to use a contrasting grout color.
    I hope this helps

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

It looks almost black in the photo?

I think I'd err on the side of being lighter instead of darker.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

I'd go lighter as well - not sure if it is my computer, but it looks really dark. Have you tried Laticrete's Silver Shadow? I used it in my guest bath and it worked perfectly with carrara basketweave. It has just enough gray to emphasize the gray in the tiles. If you do a search you'll find a couple threads with photos.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Here's Silver Shadow with carrara:

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

silver shadow looks gorgeous. thanks for posting the photo of it on your beautiful tile, pipdog.

i'm not sure if the grout was wet or dry, but i'll as the tile guy.

thanks, everyone.

• Jamesxpm
    11 years ago

Very nice pattern! If I were still laying tiles I would suggest this pattern to someone at least I would keep it in mind. You see how contrasting darker grout creates an illusion of a weaving pattern. Very nice!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I think it's still wet, as DD2 used this in her MBath and it's not this dark. I've attached a picture of Delorean Gray dried.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tile guy said he did it on Saturday and it should be dry. Would platinum or oyster gray be better?

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I used TEC dove gray, and it's a little lighter (and more taupish-gray-green) than delorean or silver shadow. If you look for my threads, you'll see pictures.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

If you're using Custom, yes, Platinum would work MUCH better. From mapei, Warm Gray, and from Laticrete, as someone already posted, Silver Shadow. They'll blend into the veins of the stone much better