Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimbotron

Help Me Finish My Sears-Kit Home's Bathroom!

Jimbotron
9 years ago

I live in a 100 year old Sears kit home (Dutch colonial). I've partially renovated the upstairs bathroom (trying to be respectful of the period). Could use a little assistance with decor/painting/tiling choices!

Here's a photo gallery, where I've noted various questions/issues via photo captions: http://imgur.com/a/OsPIg

....but please reply right here! Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments (15)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Look at this one

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0817263712383.html

It's classic and modern and period all at the same time.

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup. That's a bathroom, for sure.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Jimbo, you have such a classic, I'm glad you are trying to preserve its historical integrity. You came to the right place, there are many people here who are experts in redoing bathrooms, and many have great ideas that won't cost a fortune. Be grateful for their pictures and free advice.
    Here's what I would do:
    Remove the green chiffon curtain and Venetian blinds. Either put up some plantation shutters or do an opaque window treatment on each pane.
    Paint all the wood trim a bright white.
    Continue the subway tile around the tub using as close a match as possible including the bullnose ogee edge, matching the height at the end of the tub.
    Instead of trying to do glass around the tub, I would put up an oblong shower rod like those used for stand-alone tubs, in chrome. It's very period appropriate. You would need to install a shower for a stand alone tub. Then you could put two chrome double hooks on the wall at the foot of the tub, again, period appropriate. Use simple white shower curtains.
    Clorox gel spray works great on tile and grout. Wear a mask and gloves. Spray it on a small area, let sit a minute or two, then scrub with a tough bristle brush. Rinse. Yes it is work but you will see amazing results. As for the wall of soap scum, scrub that wall too with a cleaner and brush. Discontinue using the soap dish and use a liquid soap?
    Also, you won't regret the taller toilet when you have sore knees, like after scrubbing! :)
    The green paint is fine for now if it's in good shape. A light gray would be pretty too, or a light aqua. Really any color you like would work with the white basics.
    Then you get to have fun with selecting a rug, towels and a few accessories to bring in some interest.
    Please keep us updated, and for sure post your "after" pics. We all love those! Good luck.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I agree with prairiemom, I think a shower curtain circle or rectangle would be nice. The glass might not work with your layout.

This post was edited by enduring on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 23:01

• mdln
    9 years ago

How about a U shaped curtain rod?

• mdln
    9 years ago

How about a U shaped curtain rod?

{{!gwi}}

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everybody!

Prairiemom, I'll do most of what you say! Re: opaque window treatment, I've got my eye on this:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00CEGCSF8

Does that make sense? Here, fwiw, is what the actual windows look like: http://imgur.com/vqMonnH

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW, did I mis-describe those blinds as Venetian? I think these might be what are called Plantations (they're more visible in that link I just gave you for the window picture).

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Venetian blinds are the old wide pull-up blinds our parents used back in the day, sort of wide mini blinds. Plantation shutters are wooden with slats that adjust for light and privacy. They attach at the sides and can swing open. Just google images to see samples. The window film might be a little busy but that is a matter of personal taste. You could do something like this pic, film on top, shutters on bottom.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Just out of curiosity, is this tub new? I love the old style of it. You did a nice job picking appropriate fixtures in keeping with the age.
    Also, is that wide windowsill wood? I can see a beautiful piece of marble there, or marble-like laminate. Think old buildings with marble windowsills. As for a place for shampoos etc, could you just put them on the bathtub side ledge? If you do the u-shaped shower curtain rod, you should run the subway tile all the way to the ceiling. You'd be surprised at how high water can splash. Don't ask me how I know-from-my-very-tall-son!

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tub is brand new (I proudly accept your kudos!)

On the other hand, the glass tub wall thingee is new, too, and I paid like $600 for it, and am disconsolate that you don't like it!

Windowsill is wood, yes. And good point re: tiling higher than I might think necessary!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Jimbotron, I don't know what you mean about the "glass tub wall thingee". I don't see a pic of that. Can you post a picture? I just don't think glass would look appropriate in your space. But I would love you to post a picture of this "thing".

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Enduring -

Thanks for the reply, sorry for my delayed response; hope you're still out there!

At the top of the photo gallery, I say:

We will install a glass wall on the right side of the tub. Here's the one I bought: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qBkj0qQIL.jpg

And that, indeed, is the link to see the glass tub wall thingee I bought for like $600 that may have been a terrible decision!

• enduring
    9 years ago

I have heard from others that these don't keep the water from splashing out. Can you return it?

• Jimbotron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alas, no.