Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaches1980

Bathroom Renovations Help Pls

beaches1980
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice on renovating our master bathroom please. The pictures attached are from when the house was for sale, so that's not our decor. : )

While I would like to gut the whole thing, our budget just won't allow for it.

I dislike the tile, but am wondering if it won't look so bad if we go ahead with our planned reno's.

I was also thinking of possibly removing the tile from around the bathtub & shower, but still keeping the floor tile.

We would like a grey & white scheme.

Our plan is to:
Replace the exisiting backsplash (the current is so ugly)
Replace the countertop with a white granite, quartz etc
Add a long vessel sink that will have two faucets
Replace the baseboard
Repaint
I would also love to paint the vanity white, but am scared it will cheapen the look if its not done professionally. ($$)

Any ideas? I don't like the exisitng tile so I'm not offended if you think it should just all be ripped out. I'm just trying to save some money.

Thanks in advance. : )

Close up of tile (eek)

The look I am going for:

Sink idea

Comments (7)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You seem to hate everything about this bathroom. If it were me, I would probably put my budget into tearing out the entire vanity area, while working with the existing floor and tub tile. If you absolutely hate the tile, I'd save for a complete gut and do nothing for now. It's actually quite nice for someone who likes that color scheme, but I know everything is white and gray now.

I'm mainly wondering about your sink idea. That looks like a costly upgrade in sink, faucet, and plumbing, while losing your counter space. For the available space for your vanity area, I think this is a one sink bathroom. I would be looking for ways to increase the counter and drawer space in a new vanity instead of having an extra sink to spit in.

• bcca
    10 years ago

I feel as though if you were to darken the grout to a gray so that it wasn't so stark and blended in with the primary colour of the tile, it may look more modern and closer to your inspiration. Just wanted to throw it out there.

• xand83
    10 years ago

Yeah, the tile is not the greatest, but it's far from terrible. I think with vanity changes you proposed, it will be quite nice. Re-painting will go a long way to lighten it up, too.

That sink should probably be avoided. It looks cool, but not having any counter space will drive you crazy in the master bathroom. It's fine for a 1/2 bath, but not the master bath.

P.S.- Love the backsplash tile you picked. Looks great!

• beaches1980
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your feedback so far! I really appreciate it.

I spent sometime looking at the tile, and I think I can live with it. I'm a little reno'd out since we basically have been renovating the whole house for the last 2.5 years. Everything is done except this bathroom.

Do you think I could remove the tile from around the tub & shower and replace it with whatever we pick for the backsplash?

I saw this picture on pinterest and I think it could work?? The floor tile gives off the same feeling as mine (but nicer).

I don't think I would go with white subway tile, but maybe grey?

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you don't like the tile. I rather like it. Although I do like your choices better ("the look I'm going for"). I agree that darkening the grout could help. I rather like the vanity stain. I'd probably replace just the countertop and backsplash tile.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Although that two sink combo looks cool, two people in there at the same time would be bumping elbows or other parts...to say nothing of the loss of storage space in the vanity. Agree that it is a one sink bathroom.

Our designers had us both stand in front of our old vanity and mimic face washing, etc to see how much room we needed between us.

-Babka

• suger4630
    10 years ago

I actually don't think the tile is that bad and the vanity is nice too. The problem is the colors don't all work together. The vanity color is very dark and warm against the stark white plumbing fixtures. Changing the paint color on the walls and replacing the vanity top with an upgraded material like granite or quartz with a drop in sink would look great. Taking out the backsplash and replacing it with something you like would help too. I do like your gray choices of tile, but you probably don't need to redo everything if you make the other changes.