Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie looking for Vanity Top Ideas

Posted by briannej (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 11:05

Hello, I have enjoyed reading this forum for so long and I am new to posting...I finally have a project of my own :). I had the dream of using some beautiful Carrera Marble as a vanity top but am limited on budget. I had the local cultured marble top manufacturer make me a small sample of a swirl design called Country Grey on White and make a matte finish on it. Wondering if this would do the trick with white undermount bowls? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie looking for Vanity Top Ideas

Just out of curiosity, how much will the cultured marble cost? We're getting Alabama White marble for ~$44/sf installed (Upstate SC). It is an extra charge to have it honed. It's a pretty white marble that may suit you just as well as Carrera.

HTH - Jo Ann

Alabama White Slab

TR AL White Marble

o

That's really beautiful, drjoann!

briannej, have you priced marble at multiple locations? For a vanity top, you may be able to due with remnants from someone's kitchen job. Also, I know a few places (like Home Depot) carry pre-made marble tops that might be reasonably affordable (I haven't priced them). Otherwise, some of the solid surface makers and quartz makers (Corian, Ceasarstone, etc) make some marble-look materials. However, I simply don't think you can quite match the beauty of real stone with man-made materials. Also, you could consider doing a top with marble tile. I've seen pictures of marble tile countertops that were absolutely stunning.

o

Even more ideas here on Maggie's thread - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg080124365068.html?19

Here is a link that might be useful: Maggie's thread on Counters

o

Yes, I checked into remnants with no luck...it is a 73" top, so I guess that probably limits the remnants a little. That too, we keep calling and checking on, but finally made the decision to try to stick to the cheapest thing and get what we really want at a later date...which would include a real marble top with undermount bowls and tile up the wall behind the mirrors in lieu of a backsplash. We are building a new home so unfortunately some things just have to end at the end of the budget and we can only dream of doing them later :). The cultured marble comes out to $40/sf but that includes the sinks so really without (2) sinks at probably $60/each it comes out to be about $34 each and there still, without a charge for a sink cut out which is pretty standard...
The whole cultured marble top is around $450 so it is really affordable. I am just debating if I should play it safe and go with a plain white for a simple sharp contrast to the espresso vanity or if I should try playing with the matte finish on the grey swirl to add some pattern. I love the look of the real marble and yet don't want to take the look of the whole bath down with the top. I would still be doing a solid white bowl (2 tone molded cultured marble top) for that price, so it might look a little richer having the bowl be solid and just the top part with the pattern. Do you think I should try it or play it safe? I will take a pic of the sample tonight and try to post to see if you have any input for me. Thanks so much!

o

drjoann, do you mind sharing the name of your granite suppier? I am in the upstate also and I have just picked out a granite for my master bath, but I am not sure that it is what I really want.

I would so love to have the marble, but I am a careless person and am concerned that I will ruin it with makeup and stuff.

Did you obtain a sample of your marble and do you know if it stains easily?

Thks,

Kathy

o

That is from Slabco in Travelers Rest. My fabricator is Star Granite whose main office is in Elberton, GA. I will be using the AL White for my kitchen baking center and the vanity top in the guest bedroom en suite. I do have a sample of my slab, but I haven't dinked with it because I'm not worried about stains (seal well & if something gets through use a poltice) and I very much want it to etch so it has a patina. Now, that I have paint colors chosen, I guess I should put it through the ringer with staining agents. Good idea.

For the master bath, we're going bold and have a beautiful slab of Rainforest Green marble. There is so much pattern, that it will hide a multitude of sins.

HTH - Jo Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here