Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crown molding in shower area

Posted by solution (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 11:01

I am looking at to add crown molding in master bedroom. How about master bathroom?

My master bathroom ceiling is about 9 feet high; the tile wall in shower room is about 8 feet high. When I add crown molding in bathroom, should crown molding all the way to shower area? Does it look odd? Will it warp after a couple of years?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crown molding in shower area

I've installed crown in quite a few master bathrooms, but only in a few showers.

In the bath you can use regular wood crown.

For the shower consider one of the urethane foam crowns, they come in 8' lengths. Takes paint well, no warping, nothing for mold to dine upon. Never had a problem.

As to it looking odd, it depends on the design of your bath and the transition from the bathroom into the shower.

Are they two different spaces? Is it one open flowing space? Is there a soffit or transom that separates one from the other?

Mongo

o

Mongo,

Thanks for information. It is open space. The picture is below. Thanks for help.

Crown

o

With that photo, I'd say without a doubt if you're going to run crown in the bath run it over the shower as well.

I recommend you not use MDF crown.

If you go with wood, I recommend you not use finger-jointed due to the open nature of the shower. Depending on the quality of the finger jointed wood, repeated moisture swings can cause the joints to break, resulting in lines telegraphing through the paint at every glue line, which can be every 8" to 18".

For solid wood crown, back prime the wood (meaning prime the back of the crown as well as the front) before installing it, I recommend an oil primer.

If going with a synthetic (foam) molding, that will be most stable moisture-wise. It'll also be the least worry in regards to mold/mildew. The only limitation is that it comes in 8' lengths, so if you have a run longer than 8' you'll have a scarf joint somewhere along the run of molding. Not a worry though. Easy to do.

Mongo

o

Mongo, thanks for help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here