Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remodeling Bathroom in older House

Posted by Russ127 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 10:44

I plan on remodeling a bathroom in our rambler house that has 1 bathroom on the main level, another in lower level walk out.
Bathroom to be remodeled is 10'8" in length and 7'7" wide. Has a double sink vanity, toilet & door to master bedroom on one wall. Shower/tub combination and 60" closet on other long wall. There is also a door to hallway. Question I have: should I consider splitting up the space and making a small powder room and then a small bathroom with a shower for the master bedroom or leave it one larger bathroom? I appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remodeling Bathroom in older House

I think you would need to post a floor plan, but in general it sounds like you have the room.

The standard "template" bath through a good part of the 20th century was 5x7 to about 7x7 depending upon where the door was. So in theory you have the room.

o

If the one main floor bath is used by visitors as well as the master bedroom, then I'd definitely make the split. I really don't like to have guests in the master bath, which seems like a private space to me.

If your visitors (I'm talking about dinner guests, etc) are directed to the lower level bath and don't use the master, then I might prefer to have the bigger master bath without the split.

o

I think I'd do the split either way. Adding a powder room for visitors or even for family members would add value and functionality to the home. The thing I'd explore though would be looking at the adjacent closets to be able to split the bath into two baths with showers, even if one were small. Having the only full bathroom on the main floor be accessed through the master isn't desirable at all unless there are no other bedrooms on that floor. A well functioning family bathroom accessible from the hall is more valuable than a master bath and secondary bedrooms that have to go downstairs if they want to take a shower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here