Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regmoses

Subways in a shower or 8x10s?

regmoses
11 years ago

After meeting (late in the game) with a designer at the tile store, we're going with white subways. What is your experience on smaller white subways vs. larger 8x10s (laid in a stacked, subway-type pattern)?

I know you have less grout with the larger tiles. I suppose you have less "pattern" busy-ness with larger tiles. Is that it? Do I need to consider other things in this decision?

It feels sooooooo good to have a plan I feel good about. This is my last decision to make as far as picking out finishes! Whew!

Comments (5)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Why not go for the best of both worlds? What would you think about combining the 2 and stacking the larger tiles in line with one another along the bottom 1/2 to 3/4 of the walls and using the smaller subways above in a staggered pattern? The advantage is that you will have fewer grout lines to clean on the part of the shower walls that get wet. The smaller subways then add a nice touch to the space. Here's an example for you of what it could look like:

Hope this helps!

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I've been wrestling with the same question, and I'm a little worried about having subway grout lines all the way to the floor of the shower. So my thoughts lean toward doing larger on the lower half, like mydreamhome did.

So, mydreamhome, how did you decide to stack the larger tiles in a square pattern instead of a staggered pattern like with the subways? I like how it looks, but my initial instinct was to stagger both sizes of tile. Maybe that would look too busy? Also, can you tell me what size those larger tiles are? Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

mydreamhome-- I've got to say-- not many bathrooms really impress me any more, as many as I've seen, and as many as I've put together. But I love the design of your shower!! Well thought out, nice and open, and at the same time, simplistic!! Very "zen"!

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I think an 8x10 is a far cry from a "subway" look. If you're worried about grout, have you considered other subway-esque sizes? There are so many on the market.. just a few in my area are 4x8, 4x12, 6x12, 6x18, 8x20.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. Especially you, Bill--that's really saying something as I've long admired a lot of your work that I've seen posted on GW--even wished you were local for me & darn near emailed you to see if I could fly you here.

To answer the questions...

The tiles on the bottom are 10x13, the subways are 3x6 and the decorative listellos are 2x10. The floor of the shower is made up of the mosaic Renaissance pattern in grigio and trimmed with 3x10 cuts of the 10x13 tiles. The tile is Florida Tile's Renaissance pattern in the grigio color and the listello is the Gold Sistene in the same pattern. The threshold and the top of the pony wall are marble sills in an ivory color. Grout is Pearl. We also used the decorative listellos as the transition strips on the floor between the bedroom and bath and the closet and bath. Here's a pic of the transition:

How did we decide on this particular design? After too many disappointing tile stores and kitchen/bath designers to count, I finally found the Florida Tile rep. He was great--he listened to what I said my vision of the spaces were and then only showed me tile that worked with my vision. He was the one who drew a couple different variations of the tile on the shower walls and this configuration was the one that 'Wowed' me. It was as simple as that--a picture is truly worth a 1,000 words--and then some.

For a different perspective, here's a look at DS2's bath using all "extra large subways" in a brick pattern. These are 9x18s in Florida Tile's Pristine pattern in the alabaster color. Simple yet elegant and super easy & quick to install.

Hope this helps!